MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Andrew Hunt

Coming to KLIA 1st July

the DragonAir special livery holding for some time on the special runway... awaiting clearance from the spotters... i realized this is a rare opportunity so i joined KC, Jon....

IPB Image

I'm glad I finally made it to KLIA for spotting, after a couple false starts this year.

I would like to thank Jonathan for his efforts to make this an unforgettable spotting trip for us. First for playing host and dragging himself out of bed to meet us at some unearthly hour, and then for the carefully thought out sequence of spots which maximize our day trip to KLIA. As Andrew said, it's the friendship and company that will be cherished. Thanks for the guys who made the effort to spend time with us. It was indeed an extremely wonderful experience and I thoroughly enjoyed the company of fellow MalaysiaWings spotters who quite obviously have great passion for this hobby!

As for the "Jurassic" ringgit notes, I will be having them assessed :p - hey maybe that will bring me a small fortune - then can fly in for spotting.

Here are some of the photos.

The first aircraft to greet us at Spot no 1 (Pond) was Hibiscus! No light but it certainly set the standard of traffic of the rest of the day. Pakistani got some of the first light on her tail.

IPB Image

A couple of shots before we moved to spot no 2.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Observation Hill here we come...

IPB Image

Rotate!! Luv the dense air in the engines.

IPB Image

We met Mr Pakistani again...

IPB Image

She rotated early..

IPB Image

We spotter a familiar face.

IPB Image

Then we broke for lunch as we noticed that Andrew keep shafting CF cards into his mouth.....

IPB Image

Edited by Kwek

The stars at KLIA are naturally the home-based aircraft.

Baby Boeing leaps into the air.

IPB Image

Climbing on a Jumbo.

IPB Image

All Malaysian.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

But where' the real stuff that we are looking for? When we first reached the top of Observation Hill, there were shouts of joy as we spotted Heliconia. We waited patiently.....

2 specials for the price of one click.

IPB Image

I like this backdrop. If only the aircraft was facing the other direction. Maybe a few months later when the wind changes direction?

IPB Image

Presenting Ms Heliconia. Target 1 achieved!

IPB Image

Not to be outdone, Ms Hibiscus duly pushed back and taxied for departure

IPB Image

The standard photo stop.

IPB Image

I like this one very much....Target 2 achived!

IPB Image

Edited by Kwek

Kwek .. tat MH 777 rotation shot is awesome dude :D :drinks:

here's mine..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

really glad u guys enjoyed the time @ Malaysia .. we'll surely be heading WSSS soon :D :yahoo:

Edited by Edwin Yii

Miss Air India Express was shy at first, hiding from the sun during her approach.

Finally there is light but she's all covered by her sari..

IPB Image

She turned to reveal a little of her face...but not too much (like the old Ribena advertisment).

IPB Image

We take a commercial break.

Introducing the "Flying Nun" 2006 version, starring KC. For those old enough, this will invoke memories of Sally Field flying around.....

IPB Image

He attempted a take-off but failed. The lift to weigh ratio was grossly mis-judged. Secondly the propulsion was lacking in power. :rofl:

IPB Image

Ok, but back to serious subjects...

The MU A-320. Better take more of this one, especially this side. There may be a change in the Ronaldo's pic. The grin will be wider now, after his part in getting Rooney sent off in the World Cup quarter-final match.

IPB Image

IPB Image

So happy to see MAS Cargo B744. Target 3 achieved.

IPB Image

Spotless!

IPB Image

Edited by Kwek

Presenting Ms Heliconia. Target 1 achieved!

IPB Image

Excellent shots there, Kwek; sorry to have missed you guys by just one weekend :(

Anyhow, my mission was also to 'nail' Mike Romeo Delta the previous weekend, but it was NOT gonna be, even in ZRH on 28/06 it was not her but Romeo Bravo :angry:

Still waiting patiently..... ;)

OK, the last batch - I promise..

This one for Pieter. :p

IPB Image

This one for LeeCH

IPB Image

This one for everyone :p

IPB Image

Gulf Air twinkle toes

IPB Image

Burning rubber

IPB Image

Burning rubber 2

IPB Image

Common subject but in great light

IPB Image

Ditto

IPB Image

Spilling her gills

IPB Image

Cute baby bus

IPB Image

Intersection departures. I like the backdrop for this shot.

IPB Image

I end with a note of thanks to everyone for making our spotting trip a most unforgetable one. A special mention for Jonathan, captured here waitng to pounce on a chance to taking candid shots (note the mischevious grin).

IPB Image

Edited by Kwek

lovely lovely kwek! action packed!! cheers for uploading. :drinks:

in case of emergency, call my aircraft. hehehe :D

IPB Image

after our singapore buddies left, we stayed back to wait for hibiscus, LH and CX.....

IPB Image

the state of the art 'dreamliner' in special orange livery. door locked because new aircraft maaa.... face to face with airbus 350 :D

IPB Image

low cost AK 320 with special livery in between flights. it hasnt used to malaysia weather yet. :rofl:

IPB Image

and its co pilot has to buy his own drink. nothing is free for low cost airline. :rofl:

IPB Image

the venerable 707-300 ultra classic. :clapping: :good:

IPB Image

with its michelin air tyre and kong out strobe light. co -pilot wears short and adidas sneaker. :nea: at least the sneaker is black which is in line with industry norm. hahaha.......

IPB Image

Azahan... haha.. that was good laught haha.. Especially classic 707 :rofl:

Pieter,

Not really a target but we had hope to see see these and our dreams actually came true.

We couldn't believe our luck! 2 hibiscus and Heliconia, and MAS Cargo B74F in a single day!! Plus mostly good weather and light for the day. :clapping: :yahoo:

Anyway, I hear it was hazy the next morning, and no hibiscus or heliconia. Someone was being kind to us!

Excellent shots there, Kwek; sorry to have missed you guys by just one weekend :(

Anyhow, my mission was also to 'nail' Mike Romeo Delta the previous weekend, but it was NOT gonna be, even in ZRH on 28/06 it was not her but Romeo Bravo :angry:

Still waiting patiently..... ;)

Edited by Kwek

muahahaha...u guys r so hilarious... :rofl:

the 707-300 classic looks like a rally car...+ palm trees as backdrop..malaysian rally version

kwek, good shots! obs hill is a nice place to spot but i've never been there yet. hopefully can made it there next spotting session...

infact, the 707-300 is operated by Cathay as CX6960 for an extended D check at the palm plantation... :rofl:

IPB Image

Hi all,

I had just registered on Malaysian Wings and wow, what an active forum.

I would like to echo what Andrew, KC & Kwek said about the wonderful hospitality we recieved during the one-day trip at KLIA. Thanks again to all we met and especially Jonathan for meeting us so early in the morning and guiding us the rest of the day.

This trip was particularly great for me as I had been an avid collector of 9M-registered aircraft but little opportunity to do so. The flocks of 9Ms in its home ground was fantastic. Unfortunately, I have nothing to post at the moment as am the only one still on slides!

Many thanks also to my three fellow spotters from this side of the causeway for this wonderful trip. Andrew for getting us there and back safely, KC for his usual humour and Kwek who provided the subject of the humour.

Aircraft spotting is great, especially with friends like all we met at KLIA.

Wonderful shots guys. Lovely weather and many different liveries too.

You bunch of jokers really make me laugh with those behind the scene shots. :clapping:

Azahan, I like those dreamliner to 707 shots. :good:

My Chapter of MASkargo :)

When norman picked me up from cowboy town and go into the plantation, we spotted a big MH tail passing by... and we both agreed that's a jumbo. Malaysian 4? no no ... its already 12.30pm.. we went on quickly to the spot and yes, its a MASkargo 742 TF-ATX, quickly made our camera ready just before her take-off roll.

IPB Image

a while later after jon's call saying that they are going for lunch, norman spotted a jumbo approaching thru his Nikon F2.8 Binocular :lol: itz a MH jumbo.... and when it comes nearer... we both getting very excited that the MASkargo 744F. Papa Sierra!

IPB Image

click click click click click while she slowing down on the runway

IPB Image

before jon and guys come to our spot after lunch, we saw another MASkargo 742F taxiing out with two AK baby following, and all of a sudden it turn back to the other direction... back to the cargo complex... forgot to bring passport ka? :lol: then she came again after jon and guys arrived. TF-ARJ.

IPB Image

while jonathan and our friends from singapore dissapointed to miss the MPS approach, she appeared infront of us again when we're at the rotation spot. Everyone getting ready and guessing which spot she will rotate, i follow Kwek's prediction.... "Today no durian, she will rotate infront of us... :lol: " while KC and others walk further down with prediction of Ms Papa Sierra will rotate late with good loads of cargo. And Kwek was right!

IPB Image

there goes my MASkargo :good: more shots later

nice stuff guys..and Azahan..hell u got me with my eyes close..:(

nice stuff guys..and Azahan..hell u got me with my eyes close..:(

EDwin, stop 'spamming'..Mana pictures? :rofl:

Kevin, your jumbos are awesome huh! :blink: :good: :good:

Amazing pieces of photos!!!!!! :blink: All high quality!

Kwek & Kevin & andy & and all photographer, photos looks absolutely stunning!

Quite a gathering there! Keep more coming.............and the jokes too :good:

So, this mean no CO :rolleyes: