MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

Malaysia Airline union says no to A380

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, June 16 (UPI) -- The union representing Malaysia Airlines workers wants the carrier to cancel its orders for six Airbus SA A380 superjumbo jets.

The Malaysian Airline System Employees Union, which represents some 9,000 of the carrier's 23,000 staff, said the money saved by scrapping planned purchases of six A380s could be used to boost the money-losing airline's cash flow and finance existing aircraft upkeep, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

Noting Airbus' announcement this week of 6- to 7-month delay in delivery of the aircraft, MASA said that even if Airbus compensates Malaysia Airlines for the latest delay, the carrier must bear the cost of maintaining the world's largest passenger jet and sending pilots and engineers to train in France.

WTF??????? //////////////////////

We'll have to see till the final decision is being made.

Edited by Walter Sim

Cancelling orders cost a bomb to - MH has been paying for them ever since the deal was signed. But I guess we can only put the final word forward when we've seen the actual figures (i.e. budget for A380s).

Edited by Tony

Maybe it's good for MH to switch the A380 order for A320,or A340-500/600 for B747 replacement.

That's my point of view,hope that everybody don't be offended.

..... MASA said that even if Airbus compensates Malaysia Airlines for the latest delay, the carrier must bear the cost of maintaining the world's largest passenger jet and sending pilots and engineers to train in France.

By inference, do they mean if there had been no delay to the 380, there would be no maintenance and training costs incurred ?! :p

It looks like more and more parties are trying to get involved with MH's show

This is like the bridge to singapore they scrapped :)

I was about to say the same thing, haha :D Let's hope someone who did not fail their stats in uni would be able to compare the cost if they go ahead with or cancel it.

Edited by H Azmal

The worker union represents the obviously disgruntled employees of MAS who will eventually be working on the aircraft. Think about it...most are overworked, they are underpaid, they have barely any job security. They definitely have a right to voice out their concerns.

Who knows...MAS might not be able to operate the A380 profitably..take a look at their track record of operating profitable routes... :blink: :blink:

MAS must listen to the cries of the employees (not necessarily agree with them) so as to avoid any kind of industrial action, or even worse...sabotage (i.e potong wayar).

MAS must listen to the cries of the employees (not necessarily agree with them) so as to avoid any kind of industrial action, or even worse...sabotage (i.e potong wayar).

There are always someone out there who is willing to do the job someone does not want to.....

Think about it...most are overworked, they are underpaid, they have barely any job security. They definitely have a right to voice out their concerns.

Overworked? Didn't we have a report that MAS employees' productivity rate is so low, especially when compared to other airlines?

I was about to say the same thing, haha :D Let's hope someone who did not fail their stats in uni would be able to compare the cost if they go ahead with or cancel it.

Ouch!

Abdullah was born to a prominent religious family in Kepala Batas, Penang. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Studies from the University of Malaya in 1964, having originally wished to pursue a degree in Economics but failing to meet the required standard after failing his statistics paper

People have leaders who are Harvard Graduates and we have a Leader that failed his statistics test!!

haha

Ouch!

Abdullah was born to a prominent religious family in Kepala Batas, Penang. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Studies from the University of Malaya in 1964, having originally wished to pursue a degree in Economics but failing to meet the required standard after failing his statistics paper

People have leaders who are Harvard Graduates and we have a Leader that failed his statistics test!!

haha

Harvard or not is not important, as long as he is a lateral thinker.

Overworked? Didn't we have a report that MAS employees' productivity rate is so low, especially when compared to other airlines?

Hmm...i'd expect them to be overworked (at least..this is what I hear from the new EK/EY recruits ) seeing as many of their senior workers are leaving MAS, yet number of aircrafts seem to remain the same.

Look at Singaporean cabinet, then our's. wow..

Btw I agree some of MAS' employees are underpaid, but overworked? hmm not so sure about that

instead of 6 maybe 1.??

No use buying only one ;)

I personally agree to cancel the order. First, it's doubtable they can fill up the whole aircraft especially the first class which took some space of the aircraft :) . Second, the money can be save to bring back the company to profitable. I'll say, wait a few years after the commercial flights and see how A380 doing :) Or may be as someone say earlier, buy something similar to 747, or just use the money to buy 787 instead?

instead of 6 maybe 1.??

1 ? I think they better just cancel the order if they only want 1 A380.

instead of 6 maybe 1.??

will need at least 2-3 units for rotations, and to cover the high yield and/or high load factor routes. :) 1 is never enough - i.e. "ngam ngam" number of a/c saves money, yes, but not efficient (learnt that cuz i got it wrong in my exam :cray:).

I could be wrong but from what I read before SQ bought 5x A345 to cover for the SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR run. With ONE aircraft heading to SIN-LAX, SIN-EWR, EWR-SIN and LAX-SIN, which took up 4 aircraft. The remaining aircraft is just a spare to cover for any planes that is not functioning or in maintenance. Thats why we see the A345 goes to CGK sometime :)

Thats my guess, feel free to correct me. But yes, like Isaac and Tony said, 1 is not enough to do the job.

I could be wrong but from what I read before SQ bought 5x A345 to cover for the SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR run. With ONE aircraft heading to SIN-LAX, SIN-EWR, EWR-SIN and LAX-SIN, which took up 4 aircraft. The remaining aircraft is just a spare to cover for any planes that is not functioning or in maintenance. Thats why we see the A345 goes to CGK sometime :)

Thats my guess, feel free to correct me. But yes, like Isaac and Tony said, 1 is not enough to do the job.

Agreed. If memory serves me right, it requires 3 744s to serve 1 daily return SYD/LHR with a stopover at SIN. Mainly due to long haul (duh~) and curfews at both airports. Scheduling window is very narrow for long haul, cross continent flights.

MAS officials are expected to meet next week in Kuala Lumpur with officials of Airbus to discuss, among others, issues of possible compensation for delays in the delivery of the new planes, and to look at how the delays will impact existing contract ar rangements.

Harvard or not is not important, as long as he is a lateral thinker.

Bravo! Well said! Though going to Harvard is better, nonetheless, without lateral thinking you can't even make your way there... The Harvard admission staffs are witty people.

So what? Solution is, push into lateral thinking... and see the result in few years time!

Maybe it's good for MH to switch the A380 order for A320,or A340-500/600 for B747 replacement.

That's my point of view,hope that everybody don't be offended.

For 747-4 replacement, let's have 747-8. :clapping: Well... Because I prefer the Boeings. :lol: