MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

News on SQ and MH fleets

Every possible airlines which ordered the A380 are reviewing the terms :rofl:

Airbus is going to have a hard time indeed. Now I have to wait longer for the megajumbo to be launched into commercial service - I thought I could fly it back to SIN/KUL by end of the year! :(

being rather naive here, but I cant help thinking it would give MH time to improve the first and business class (if they are to introduce a newer product) to be on par or better than SQ, whose new F/C product is due to be released this december.

SV,

Official term may be "maruah negara" - in the Queen's English, it's probably "one-up-manship" !

As for financing, not a problem for MH in the past when it comes to national interests, why should anything be different now ?! ;)

It was just revealed by a very prominent doctor recently that both Petronas and EPF (KWSP) have got tons of billions lying around, likened to "hiding money under one's pillow" ! :rolleyes:

If I'm a Boeing salesman, I'll go knocking on Mr Jala's door ASAP - sure get deal one. Memo from Kementerian of National Pride instructing purchase of said aircraft (maybe plus a handful of 748's too ?)probably already on MH MD's table !

:D

Just noticed your signature line, you're not supposed to be here !! biggrin.gif (cikgu - ponteng !) tongue.gif

O/T:

Oopss.....MW is hard to resist!! Anyway I have just survived the biggest hand in. Now on to the last one on 20 June...... Okay okay I am off now. You know, it is not fun when you are caught ponteng by someone!!! :lol:

I have come to notice that BC and Azmal have really good English standard. Did you guys studied at English schools? Although we already knew that Azmal is a British subject :) :) :p

Tony, didn't know know UNSW have Aviation management! :) Was thinking of going to UNSW to do my Masters but got put off by the expensive fees, since course based Master aren't subsidied by the Australian government! :)

Edited by S V Choong

SV,

Official term may be "maruah negara" - in the Queen's English, it's probably "one-up-manship" !

As for financing, not a problem for MH in the past when it comes to national interests, why should anything be different now ?! ;)

It was just revealed by a very prominent doctor recently that both Petronas and EPF (KWSP) have got tons of billions lying around, likened to "hiding money under one's pillow" ! :rolleyes:

If I'm a Boeing salesman, I'll go knocking on Mr Jala's door ASAP - sure get deal one. Memo from Kementerian of National Pride instructing purchase of said aircraft (maybe plus a handful of 748's too ?)probably already on MH MD's table !

:D

That old doctor can say anything he wants, while watching the cookies crumble.

IUt is good for MH to get the Dreamliner, but at this moment I don't think anybody in the management is looking for new acquisition. The moment they say they want to buy, Boeing and Airbus will sure be rushing in.

Edited by Radzi

Tony, didn't know know UNSW have Aviation management! :) Was thinking of going to UNSW to do my Masters but got put off by the expensive fees, since course based Master aren't subsidied by the Australian government! :)

SV,

Indeed, and UNSW is at the bottom pile of "excellent teaching standards". :blink: All those money for poor teaching and learning quality? Well, guess I'm lucky cuz Dept of Aviation staff are all good :p :good: At least our lecturers are willing to teach and guide us, unlike some (from other faculties) who always say "you should do your own research".

Good luck with exams, SV! 3 more to go for me!

AFAIK, UNSW has been a good institution. A bit surprised by what you said, Tony. One of the best in Aussie, alongside Uni Melb? Anyway, I am content with Uni of Auckland. A case of NZD$5,300 for the Master degree vs. AUD $17,000+ at UNSW :p Same if I do it at Uni Melb or RMIT.

At least our lecturers are willing to teach and guide us, unlike some (from other faculties) who always say "you should do your own research".

Some lecturers are like that over here too. Those who can't be bother to tell you more information when they are not being clear. But if you have done a good job, they will claim the credit of giving you good guidance!

787 Dreamliner has lots of advantages, I believe MAS should acquire it in the future. Seems like SQ can't be bothered with A350 anymore. Airbus was hoping to give SQ the trophe of being the launch customer, seems like the recent delay in the Airbus A380 really ticked SQ off. I read the new British "Flight" magazine yesterday that Boeing is assessing the possibility of doubling the production of 787 dreamliner due to strong demand. Boeing planned to produce 9x 787s per month, it is now looking to produce 16 Boeing 787s per month. SQ may receive their 787s sooner than expected. So far there are 365 or so Boeing 787 orders. This is another success story for Boeing.

Edited by S V Choong

AFAIK, UNSW has been a good institution. A bit surprised by what you said, Tony. One of the best in Aussie, alongside Uni Melb? Anyway, I am content with Uni of Auckland. A case of NZD$5,300 for the Master degree vs. AUD $17,000+ at UNSW :p Same if I do it at Uni Melb or RMIT.

Some lecturers are like that over here too. Those who can't be bother to tell you more information when they are not being clear. But if you have done a good job, they will claim the credit of giving you good guidance!

SV, glad to see that your hiatus is anything but! ;)

Regarding Australian unis - for whatever they're worth, various league tables around the world usually put Australian National Uni first, Unimelb 2nd, and UNSW 3rd. But of course all these rankings place subjective emphasis on different areas anyway, and it's a general consensus that for undergraduate studies, Unimelb is ahead of ANU. And as far as the general public is concerned, the old school, sandstone universities, ie Unimelb, Usyd, Adelaide Uni, UWA, UQ, UTas enjoy better reputations than any others, regardless of the actual academic performances of these universities. For eg, in Sydney, I'm aware that people over there generally perceive Usyd as being the better institution despite UNSW outperforming Usyd in various ways.

Interesting trivia - every past Syd Uni Student Representative Council President (with some exceptions) has gone on to become President or General Secretary of the National Union of Students, and eventually - Member of Parliament.

disclaimer - I actually go to Unimelb myself so my view might be partial to the institution.

Edited by Keith T

*** OFF TOPIC ***

Would think that MAS would definitely require the A380 since it's operating a hub and spoke model (I'm assuming since they are cutting lots of direct routes). Not too sure if they would require the Dreamliner anytime soon?

I had always felt MAS would be better off with Boeing planes rather than going for the A380 for now.

I had always felt MAS would be better off with Boeing planes rather than going for the A380 for now.

Do I hear 748 :rolleyes:

787, 747-8 and 777-300ER would be lovely.

777-200LR Freighter for MASKargo please

Edited by S V Choong

When check in at PEN, my dad told the agent that A332 is suck, then the guy agreed, he said something like "the plane is light at the back" :blink: - is this an educated guess or just to please a customer?

Perhaps the 787 is the solution :good:

When check in at PEN, my dad told the agent that A332 is suck, then the guy agreed, he said something like "the plane is light at the back" :blink: - is this an educated guess or just to please a customer?

Perhaps the 787 is the solution :good:

Agree.Let just hope that MH will purchase the B787.

It is interesting to note this criticsm about the A332 . . . not only by a passenger but also by an airline staff (frankly, staff should refrain from joining a passenger in criticising their own product but merely acknowledge the passenger's feelings and convey it upwards).

If there is one Airbus product that fault-finders find hard to criticise, it has to be the A332. I have flown on MAS' A332 on two sectors and absolutely love it. It feels very powerful and the ride was smooth inspite of having to climb out of airport and land during the part of the day you expect a lot of heat from the ground and turbulence. The cabin gave the impression of spaciousness and the service was good (this of course has nothing to do with the aircraft, but it helped in the overall experience).

This guy at the check-in area hopefully knows what he is saying when he agreed that the plane sucks and it is "light in the back". Wonder what he meant by that comment. Any else could cast some light on that?

KC Sim

..... This guy at the check-in area hopefully knows what he is saying when he agreed that the plane sucks and it is "light in the back". Wonder what he meant by that comment. Any else could cast some light on that?

Yeah, I too was quite perplexed as to what he meant. I thought modern aircraft have some system to redistribute fuel amongst the various tanks so as to achieve balanced weight distribution ?

Yeah, "light in the back" --- weight-wise or revenue-wise? Or even something else?

BC's right too - Airbuses (most if not all?) have fuel distribution to help control pitching moments for stabilisation.