MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin P K

Cheapest, but best Economy travel from KUL-LHR

My cousin was just asking me earlier on, she is going to travel to the UK and was asking me which ones are the best. I told her MAS would be the best in Economy so far, but I haven't experience SQ or EK.

Would like to hear what u guys have to say.

Thanks!

My cousin was just asking me earlier on, she is going to travel to the UK and was asking me which ones are the best. I told her MAS would be the best in Economy so far, but I haven't experience SQ or EK.

Would like to hear what u guys have to say.

Thanks!

Depends on what she's after as 'best' is usually subjective. ;)

MH is the only carrier offering direct flights between both cities. So if she doesn't like changing planes MH could be the way to go. MH also has more legroom than the other 2 carriers. Some EK flights utilise LGW if that in any way influences her decision.

As for cabin service, both MH and SQ are pretty similar. I've only flown EK transtasman, albeit on numerous occassions and their service ranges from indifferent to average. But if IFE is a priority, then she might love EK as the ICE system is sensational (only if she gets onto the 77W and the A345). Krisworld comes in with a close second. And for flights to LHR, she'd likely get an SQ a/c fitted with Connexion, SQ's inflight wireless internet system.

Have you considered QR? Very good carrier too, often underrated, although their hub at DOH is woeful at best.

A cursory glance at fares has revealed that SQ and MH fares are pretty equal at MYR3840, however that's an M class fare so ur travel agent might have cheaper fares, such as SQ's good value W class deep discounts. EK's cheapest at MYR2898.

For other carriers, cheapest would be BA/QF V class fares at MYR2298, which includes a connector on MH or SQ KUL-SIN. V class fares are understandably sold out pretty early though. Other good options include OS via VIE at MYR2473, and QR via DOH at MYR2733.

Edited by Keith T

KL/AF cheapest 'official' fares are listed as MYR2300 in V-class (farebasis VLSXMY) with a 5 day min-stay and 1 month max-stay...fares are valid up to 14jul06...as Keith has stated: these fares are sold-out pretty fast...

A bit off-topic here, but interesting to know: KLM just published a 14% growth on their Asian flights for May, as compared to May of last year...average loadfactor for Asia was 84.6%, with NRT and KIX even topping at 93.4% and 92.5% resp. MNL jumped even 12.6% to an average of 88.6% :o

Let me know if you need help booking a V class seat on BA, even if you're waitlisted. Just PM me and I'll try to *ahem ahem* magically get you confirmed.

I don't know if BA/QF sells I class fares ex-KUL. It's a deeply discounted business class fare and on MEL-LHR it costs about the same as a regular premium economy fare. Very very good value I can tell ya - last I checked it was approx AUD3500 MEL-LHR (discount economy is about AUD2300 for an M/O class fare, discount premium economy about AUD3000). Should be even cheaper from South East Asia. I class is extremely elusive though...

So if she feels like treating herself a bit go check out an I class. (Normal J fares cost a lot extra, more than triple!)

Edited by Keith T

Personally I often find EK & SQ fare are quite steep compared to MH. During my last trip, the cheapest fare quoted to me by the travel agent was with GF, but that would involve 3 stops at BKK, AUH & BAH, twice changing aircraft. If you want something different, I highly recommend EK's 777 but not so much of their 330. Dubai is a great stopover city but with the desert summer approaching, you'd better off waiting later in the year to fully enjoy it.

my friend travel to LHR on Gulf Air from KUL throught Bahrain. I'm not sure about the pricing, but i do heard that KLM has one of the cheapest.

Azuddin

From what i've checked at MH website:

KUL-LHR (Y) One way

-MYR 2,373.00(Option 1)

-MYR 3,023.00(Option 2)

KUL-LHR-KUL (Y) Return journey

-MYR 5,380.00 (Option 1)

-MYR 5,730.00 (Option 2)

EK as the ICE system is sensational (only if she gets onto the 77W and the A345).

Keith,

Most of EK's 772's and a handful of their 773's have the ICE system.

Edwin,

Do you have any dates? Let me know, and I'll do some research on my end.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your great advice, and ya know what, before I could advise her further, she already went ahead and book her tickets for herself and her mom on EK flight! Apparently that was the cheapest alternative that was quoted by her travel agent. She's traveling on the 16th June.

BA doesn't fly to KUL does it? Or how does that work??

I might be going to UK for studies this Sept, going to book my ticket early as that period is quite a peak period. Thought of taking TG,QR,EK or SQ.

Any suggestion? Most likely I'm going for a 1 year ticket.

EK has one of the best facilities in the sky, but inconsistent crew service. There was once on flight from Dubai to Dacca, a crew scold two Bangladesh passengers sitting next to me. I was upset with her attitude as she just walked away and refused to serve them. Where on earth can you find such rude crew? But on the other flight from GLA to Dubai, one south Asian crew was as polite as MH crew. Very inconsistent in my opinion.

Edwin,

The price your sister was probably quoted was RM 2'125 per person (single way). Still cheaper than MAS...and much better service IMHO. :)

Tell her that she made the wise choice. :good:

Keith,

Most of EK's 772's and a handful of their 773's have the ICE system.

Oops, my bad. ;)

Edwin, most comfy in Y would have to be MAS with the 34 inch pitch.

CX - tiny seats and expensive. Plus it'd involve a detour to HKG.

SQ - wider seats in Y only if u're on the 777s (and about 33" of pitch), but as Edwin's sister is flying to LHR she'd get the 744 which only has 32" or less.

I might be going to UK for studies this Sept, going to book my ticket early as that period is quite a peak period. Thought of taking TG,QR,EK or SQ.

Any suggestion? Most likely I'm going for a 1 year ticket.

SQ has great student fares - check out STA Travel. It gives you 30kg of baggage allowance too.

Edited by Keith T

Oops, my bad. ;)

Edwin, most comfy in Y would have to be MAS with the 34 inch pitch.

Totally agree with you, Keith. And it will be even more comfortable if MH is using the QF-style of 'slimline' EY seat :p

SQ - wider seats in Y only if u're on the 777s (and about 33" of pitch), but as Edwin's sister is flying to LHR she'd get the 744 which only has 32" or less.

SQ has great student fares - check out STA Travel. It gives you 30kg of baggage allowance too.

The Economy Class on all of SQ 772ER with "Spacebed" have 34" of pitch. And there are EIGHT lavatories for only 255 passengers in EY, no long queue :clapping:

By the way, SQ 773's EY also have 33"-34" of pitch. All of SQ new birds (380 and 77W) will be featuring 33"-34" of pitch in EY (just like MAS) :p :yahoo:

Edited by Isaac

Totally agree with you, Keith. And it will be even more comfortable if MH is using the QF-style of 'slimline' EY seat :p

Could be something to think about for MH - use slimline seats iso reducing pitch. They can fit in more seats with little/no change in pitch. Actual seat pitch on QF international flights are as much as 33" due to the slimline seats.

Isaac, I see that you are now an SQ fan officially :lol: ROFL

I love SQ too - but their fares in F and J spiral out of control beyond Asia. :(

Thank god there's TG/LH for poor students like myself. :D

Edited by Keith T

Isaac, I see that you are now an SQ fan officially :lol: ROFL

I always am :p Add MH, KL and TG to the list :p

And i wanna try more airlines ... I might fly with LH or AY to BKK in December next year (after STPM) :p

Could be something to think about for MH - use slimline seats iso reducing pitch.

Oh please don't do so. I prefer MH to use slimline seats and KEEP the current seat pitch. Means 35"-36" of pitch for MAS EY. COOL ! :p

I love SQ too - but their fares in F and J spiral out of control beyond Asia. :(

Thank god there's TG/LH for poor students like myself. :D

SQ is very much like BA, everything wants high yield ones. LOL !

Edited by Isaac

Oh please don't do so. I prefer MH to use slimline seats and KEEP the current seat pitch. Means 35"-36" of pitch for MAS EY. COOL ! :p

Sorry, shouldn't use too many acronyms. I said that MH should adopt the slimline seats instead of (ie, iso) reducing pitch. This way they can maintain the current seatpitch but increase the number of seats in the plane.

SQ is very much like BA, everything wants high yield ones. LOL !

For a very good reason too. BA nearly collapsed at one stage, it was destined to be the third bankrupt European carrier after Sabena and Swiss. And despite SQ being the most profitable airline in the world, with QF coming in a close second, both airlines are nowhere close to making enough to cover their respective costs of capital. Sad reality of the industry in general.

Edited by Keith T