MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Adrian M

BKI Spotting 10 May 2006

Went to spot BKI yesterday with Samuel at 1630 until 1840. Our spot is at Beach 3 and Rwy 02. BKI is totally flooded with MH 734 and there's no F50 in sight until when we decide to go home. At some point, 2 MH734 park at Gate 6 and 2 MH 734 are at Remote Apron parking so sum it up, there are 7 or 8 B734 at one time.

When we arrive, we got A332 and 30 mins later B772 come in while A332 is starting up her engine. After A332 left, we treated with lots and lots of MH babies with only B772 left at Gate 1.

So for starters I give ya guys this 2 pics 1st while I'm waiting for Samuel to send the rest of the photos over to me. And also edit one enormous photo. The pix quality still not that good so hope you guys don't mind.

B772 coming in

IPB Image

A332 Engines start up, and then:

IPB Image

Enjoy :) Other pix coming soon. ;)

WOAH...great angle bro! Cant wait for BKI on F50 this summer.... :yahoo: :yahoo:

Btw...A330 engine fire?

WOAH...great angle bro! Cant wait for BKI on F50 this summer.... :yahoo: :yahoo:

Btw...A330 engine fire?

Not sure, just suddenly a pile of black smoke come floating up but then it's nothing, the A332 startup like normal, taxi and take off. I guess maybe it's the towtruck but trucks normally doesn't produce this lot of black smoke right?

BTW, kudos to Samuel, he take the shots. Mine will come a bit later hehe. ;)

Edited by Adrian M

Smoky startup?

Great man, at least BKI still receive the T7, is KCH still get them?

Thanks for the pix, love the thumbnail feature since my school computer freaking slow!

Smoky startup?

Great man, at least BKI still receive the T7, is KCH still get them?

Thanks for the pix, love the thumbnail feature since my school computer freaking slow!

ya, luckily still hav T7. :lol: but one day only one flight. :( KCH still hav. :)

when the smoke come out, we heard a 'kweeeeeeeeeeeeee' sound from the terminal, which sounds like a fire alarm. at first we really shock. and the smoke very very concentrated one. :p

ya, luckily still hav T7. :lol: but one day only one flight. :( KCH still hav. :)

when the smoke come out, we heard a 'kweeeeeeeeeeeeee' sound from the terminal, which sounds like a fire alarm. at first we really shock. and the smoke very very concentrated one. :p

Fuhh.... :yahoo: Thank god KCH still hav T7...I'm already boring spotting 737s at KCH...My most happiest moment is on my return flight to SBW,I've watcheed A320 from my own eyes...OMG!!! I can't believe it...It's the A320 in AK c/s!

A332 Engines start up, and then:

IPB Image

Adrian,

Looking at your picture and reading about the 'weeeeeeee' sound, I can explain, IMHO ;)

Black smoke is billowing up, not sideways or backword; combined with the sound you describe AND the fact I don't see heat coming from the APU, it only means the APU is not working, and, therefore, a 'jet-blast' engine start-up was needed; once one engine is running, there should be 'enough power' to start number 2, so that's why you only heard it once ?!

Just my 2 sen... :good:

yo sam n adrian,

good job guys. still waiting for the rest of the pics. hope to be back there spotting soon! anyways, the black smoke probably coming from one of the trucks or tow truck itself? its possible. even the ground power cart can produce lots of smoke. if its coming from the engine, that normally means a slow start as the fuel is injected to the combustion chamber but the start is not able to sustain itself. simply put it too much fuel was not burned properly... I might be wrong and I stand corrected. keep up the good work guys!

We still waiting for you to come back :) Yeah, I was suspecting the truck and great info, Dante. When we saw the black smoke come pile up we were like OMG! OMG! :o What happened?! Get it! Get it! Get it into the cam! It's quite a shocker hehe. I wonder what the pax onboard felt seeing those black smoke? :hehe:

Adrian,

Looking at your picture and reading about the 'weeeeeeee' sound, I can explain, IMHO ;)

Black smoke is billowing up, not sideways or backword; combined with the sound you describe AND the fact I don't see heat coming from the APU, it only means the APU is not working, and, therefore, a 'jet-blast' engine start-up was needed; once one engine is running, there should be 'enough power' to start number 2, so that's why you only heard it once ?!

Just my 2 sen... :good:

Thanks for the info Pieter. Ohh the sound was actually are siren-like.

Ok. After doing an all-nighter of editing work, here is the Part 1 of the pix. And I'm heading to bed. :p

Taken by Samuel

A332 (9M-MKY) Arm all doors

IPB Image

A332 After black smoke, zoom in to see anything is happening

IPB Image

B772 (9M-MRM) Approaching Rwy 02

IPB Image

B772 Approaching

IPB Image

B772 Seconds from touch down (Samuel's best shot 1)

IPB Image

B772 Gears and Engine closeup

IPB Image

A332 Pushback. Side view

IPB Image

A332 Pushback. Nose and Side view (Samuel's best shot 2)

IPB Image

A332 and B734 Bootie vs Bootie: See who's bass are louder. :lol:

IPB Image

A332 Taxi out from Taxiway H into Taxiway C

IPB Image

A332 Taxi on Taxiway C

IPB Image

A332 Taxi on Taxiway C. Airbus vs Boeing: TK style shot

IPB Image

B772 Backtracking into Taxiway G and Taxiway C. (Samuel's best shot 3)

IPB Image

B772 Backtracking into Taxiway G and Taxiway C. (Samuel's best shot 4)

IPB Image

-End of Samuel's shot Part 1-

Taken by me using Samuel's cam

4 B734: 2 at Gate 6, 2 at Remote parking apron.

IPB Image

The look of KKIA in future without F50 Part 1

IPB Image

The look of KKIA in future without F50 Part 2

IPB Image

To be continue... (I'm heading to bed...) :lazy:

Next update is at 1500 later.

Edited by Adrian M

Adrian and Samuel..Thanks for the Coverage..

Enjoyed all ur Pics..

Terminal certainly full of 734..Imagine what will happen when Mas sells their 737's..Terminal will be fulled with AK's??

Adrian and Samuel..Thanks for the Coverage..

Enjoyed all ur Pics..

Terminal certainly full of 734..Imagine what will happen when Mas sells their 737's..Terminal will be fulled with AK's??

Raj,

Love to share with you, bro. ;) Haha I guess BKI T1 will become LCC terminal if MAS do sell their B734... :lol:

Ok. Here goes Part 2.

Boy...it was very busy day in BKI, everytime one taking off, there's one on approach.

Taken by Samuel

B772 Backtracking into Taxiway G and Taxiway C. (Samuel's best shot 5: No cropping applied!)

IPB Image

B772 Backtracking into Taxiway G and Taxiway C. (Samuel's best shot 6: No cropping applied!)

IPB Image

B772 Backtracking into Taxiway G and Taxiway C. (Samuel's best shot 7: No cropping applied!)

IPB Image

B734 (9M-MMZ) Approaching and another B734 at the background starting to Taxiway K

(Samuel's best shot 8: Clearest B734 Samuel ever get)

IPB Image

B772 Taxi on Taxiway C and Turn into Taxiway H. (Samuel's best shot 9: No cropping applied!)

IPB Image

B772, B734, A332 all in one frame version 1

IPB Image

B772, B734, A332 all in one frame version 2

IPB Image

A332 Rotating on Rwy 02, B734 on Taxiway J

IPB Image

A332 Rotating on Rwy 02 (Samuel's best shot 10)

IPB Image

A332 Rotating on Rwy 02. Background giving view of KKIA and B772

IPB Image

B734 with lined up orange clouds.

IPB Image

B772 Parking at Gate 1 with clear backdrop of Kota Kinabalu sign. Sky is getting dark and the sun has set

IPB Image

Off all the bunch I picked out the best and clearest shots.

-End of Samuel's shot-

Taken by me using Samuel's cam

Fokker 50 approaching on Rwy 02 before we left the spot for home. Coming in from LDU.

IPB Image

-The End of the best ones-

Going through the photos again to see anything can be added later. Maybe update soon if found any.

Enjoy :) Leave comments if desired. ;)

Edited by Adrian M

Adrian, Samuel,

Thanks a lot for sharing these wonderful apron- and aircraft shots taken at BKI: how I, surely, miss that place - always nice sunsets there :lol: :rolleyes:

Adrian, Samuel,

Thanks a lot for sharing these wonderful apron- and aircraft shots taken at BKI: how I, surely, miss that place - always nice sunsets there :lol: :rolleyes:

Haha yeah sure does. We caught quite a number of great sunset shots. Hehe. :) Waiting for you to come back here Pieter ^^

Haha guys, thanks for the compliment.

BC, LOL papparazi without advance equipment. Unlike the groups at KUL taking poster quality shots. :p

SV, comeback to Sabah and when you are in BKI and we go have a spot. ;)

LOL BC, u were there today again? :lol: Me and Samuel wish to bump into you in our spotting session but we always go spot at different time than you.

Today we also go spotting too but in very very early morning around 6.40am. And Mt. Kinabalu is clearly seen in the background. I'll post the pics up as soon as I got it from Samuel hehe.

6:40am on a Sunday morning - you guys are seriously serious ! :clapping:

All the popular spots around BKI were really busy in the afternoon - I think our pastime is fast growing amongst KK population. Most heartening to note a young boy handling a digicam recording a 734's approach to runway 20 - full of potential for the future ! :good:

Hehe. :) Waiting for you to come back here Pieter ^^

Will see what I can do for 25/06 just for the day, while being in Malaysia at that time, but no promise as yet OK ??? ;)

Pieter, Ok, I'll wait for your news. ;)

OK! Here comes shots from early Sunday morning. That time it was high tide too and very windy...

14th May, 6.40am local time.

Sunrise and Mount Kinabalu.

IPB Image

F50 (9M-MGF) directly under Mt. Kinabalu's shadow, taxi on Taxiway C and G to Rwy 20.

Hence, the darkness on the F50.

IPB Image

F50 (9M-MGF) positively climbing out of Rwy 20 as the first flight out that heads for LBU.

IPB Image

MH 734 Take off from Rwy 02 and directly under the shadow of Mt. Kinabalu.

Hence, the darkness on the B734.

IPB Image

-End of early morning spotting-

Shots that taken on 7th May in the late afternoon by Samuel

Only the best shot chosen of all in the digicam.

MH 734 (9M-MMM) - I think this is the best shot of all in the digicam.

IPB Image

MH 734 (9M-MMM) - Samuel think this is the best shot of all in the digicam.

IPB Image

MH 734 (9M-MQO) - Turning to Rwy 02. DHT tail is peeping out in the picture.

IPB Image

MH 734 (9M-MQO) - Ready for take off at Rwy 02. Clear rego and captain can be seen. One of my fav pic.

IPB Image

MH 734 (9M-MQO) - Rolling down Rwy 02.

IPB Image

MH 734 (9M-MMW) - Turning to Rwy 02. MMW for MW :D

IPB Image

BI A319 (V8-RBR) - Turning to Rwy 02. Auk, Brunei-bah! :rofl:

IPB Image

Few of the B734 shots I told Samuel to try upload on M.net, A.net and whatever. He did and now wait to see if the shots are accepted. :)

-End of pictures for 7th May-

Edited by Adrian M

6:40am on a Sunday morning - you guys are seriously serious ! :clapping:

All the popular spots around BKI were really busy in the afternoon - I think our pastime is fast growing amongst KK population. Most heartening to note a young boy handling a digicam recording a 734's approach to runway 20 - full of potential for the future ! :good:

LOL we trying to be as hardcore as possible and show BKI to everyone. Since Azahan&Co are very hardcore spotters too for KLIA and SZB. :D

Yeah I found the Beach 3 are always full with people at weekends. Wow good to hear a potential future spotter there hehe. :drinks: Could be future pilot too. :)

Edited by Adrian M

Adrian...................love the scenery pix, is that mount Kinabalu? :blink:

That Fokker looks very impressive from that angle. :o

It's really cool to see A319 doing only 109 miles flight! :huh:

last not least, keep more coming Mr. Adrian :yahoo: :drinks: :clapping: :)

Adrian...................love the scenery pix, is that mount Kinabalu? :blink:

That Fokker looks very impressive from that angle. :o

It's really cool to see A319 doing only 109 miles flight! :huh:

last not least, keep more coming Mr. Adrian :yahoo: :drinks: :clapping: :)

Yup it is Mt. Kinabalu ;) I didn't expected to see the F50 come out that dark actually. Haha will do, Samuel will have to keep shooting and I'll be doing the editing and uploading hehe. Love the spotting session. :D

If the A319 crew disregard the overspeed warning I guess they will get to BWN in 15 mins. :rofl:

Pieter, Ok, I'll wait for your news. ;)

F50 (9M-MGF) directly under Mt. Kinabalu's shadow, taxi on Taxiway C and G to Rwy 20.

Hence, the darkness on the F50.

IPB Image

MH 734 Take off from Rwy 02 and directly under the shadow of Mt. Kinabalu.

Hence, the darkness on the B734.

IPB Image

Baaaahhhhhh, Adrian, how I miss that place :(

These Kinabalu shots are just awesome...only was able to see this myself only once: just fabulous :good:

Keep those Sabah shots comin' B)