MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Isaac

Boeing 797 (1000 seats)

Don't think most people notice what sort of aircraft they're in anyway. Remember, in Malaysia :

Big jet = Airbus

Small jet = Boeing

Big prop = Fokker

Small prop = Piper/Cessna

BTW, comfort isn't particularly high priority either. AK isn't particularly comfy but heck, they fill the seats and rake in the profit though !

Don't worry too much, they don't normally shoot the messanger ! :rolleyes: :D

I wans't involve in the project anyway, just someone wjo received direct info from them. NASA actually has no intention to use it for fighter jets. their intention is for commercial space travel.

Don't think most people notice what sort of aircraft they're in anyway. Remember, in Malaysia :

Big jet = Airbus

Small jet = Boeing

Big prop = Fokker

Small prop = Piper/Cessna

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , i remember that. that is actually how people with lesser knowledge on aircraft type view the aircraft. remember i've told you guys about the lady who thought that 757-300 in an airbus :p

Azuddin

AK isn't particularly comfy but heck, they fill the seats and rake in the profit though !

But AK flights are generally short-ish. This mammoth plane is looking like it'd ply long, high volume routes like SYD-SIN-LHR. I'm not sure whether people will prefer to sacrifice comfort for a cheap flight on long hauls - perhaps the launch of JQ International will supply an answer to that soon.

Edited by Keith T

You read this yet ?! :D

Yeah - and the airlines seem reluctant to take up Airbus's offer. Hopefully it'd stay that way.

But AK flights are generally short-ish. This mammoth plane is looking like it'd ply long, high volume routes like SYD-SIN-LHR. I'm not sure whether people will prefer to sacrifice comfort for a cheap flight on long hauls - perhaps the launch of JQ International will supply an answer to that soon.

Ever heard that EK might use 380 as their low cost equipment ;)

i remember that. that is actually how people with lesser knowledge on aircraft type view the aircraft. remember i've told you guys about the lady who thought that 757-300 in an airbus

If you ask people who clueless about aviation probably yes, just like us if we were ask about gymnastic aerodynamic, do we know :p

Whoever invented that engine better go into hiding soon - OPEC going to put a bounty on his/her head ! Can you imagine the havoc to world order if this thing proves commercially viable ?! Why, there won't be a valid reason for the Americans to go to war anymore !!

Mach 7 with no fuel, is it a world record? I need to see this news!!! If NASA really has this technology, there will be a significant plane can be build when they join Boeing :)

Mach 7 with no fuel, is it a world record? I need to see this news!!! If NASA really has this technology, there will be a significant plane can be build when they join Boeing :)

it set the world record after they test it in mid 2004. it's a pilotless aircraft dropped from a B-52.

Azuddin

Guinness World Records Certifies NASA's Aircraft Speed Record

NASA's X-43A is already headed for the record books, but Guinness World Records officials had better be prepared for an update. In October, NASA hopes to bump its recently set world speed record for a jet-powered aircraft from Mach 7 to Mach 10. Mach 10 is ten times the speed of sound, or approximately 7,200 mph.

Meanwhile, NASA is glowing over this week's recognition by the self-proclaimed "keeper of the world's records" of the Mach 7 record set on March 27, when the unpiloted, 12-ft-long aircraft achieved Mach 6.83 -- almost seven times the speed of sound, or nearly 5,000 mph -- in an 11-second flight over the Pacific Ocean to demonstrate highly-advanced engine technologies.

The flight easily set a world speed record for an air-breathing - or jet - engine aircraft. The previous known record was held by a ramjet-powered missile, which achieved slightly over Mach 5. High-speed air-breathing engines, like a ramjet, mix compressed air from the atmosphere with fuel to provide combustion. The same is true of the scramjet -- or supersonic combustion ramjet -- that powers the X-43A. The highest speed attained by a rocket-powered airplane, NASA's X-15 aircraft, was Mach 6.7. The fastest air-breathing manned vehicle, the SR-71, achieved slightly more than Mach 3. The X-43A more than doubled the top speed of the jet-powered SR-71.

The accomplishment will be included in the 2006 Guinness World Records book, set for release this time next year, and will soon appear on their Web site at www.guinnessworldrecords.com. Their database contains these details:

"On 27 March 2004, NASA's unmanned Hyper-X (X-43A) airplane reached Mach 6.83, almost seven times the speed of sound. The X-43A was boosted to an altitude of 29,000 m (95,000 ft) by a Pegasus rocket launched from beneath a B-52B aircraft. The revolutionary 'scramjet' aircraft then burned its engine for around 11 seconds during flight over the Pacific Ocean."

Guinness World Records' science editor David Hawksett has already expressed an interest in attending the Fall flight, in hopes of personally watching the next record setting flight. He said this about the record recognized this week:

Image at left: The X-43A flew nearly seven times the speed of sound on March 27, 2004. Image Credit: NASA

"Operating an atmospheric vehicle at almost Mach 7 is impressive enough, but to be able to use oxygen from the air, instead of a fuel tank, as it screams into the engine intakes at 5,000 mph is a mind-boggling technical achievement. It's wonderful to see scramjet technology finally begin to take off."

The flights of the X-43A are part of NASA's Hyper-X Program. NASA's Langley Research Center in Virginia develops the technology while the Dryden Flight Research Center in California conducts the flight tests.

Technologies from the program may be applied to future hypersonic missiles, hypersonic airplanes, the first stage of two-stage-to-orbit reusable launch vehicles and single-stage-to-orbit reusable launch vehicles.

From the story and pixs I think they did use fuel, quote me on that :p

Edited by Seth K

That blended wing concept has been around for a while. I thought I saw it before... and it's in Boeing's old house colours.

Won't be very comfortable to passengers though, especially those seated at the edges (furthers away from the centre) when the plane banks.

Got to stock more air sickness bags :lol:

Lol... Thunderbird.. I used to watch that show everyweek, wake up early, sit in front of tv with a bowl of koko krunch with milk. Wah.. my childhood :lol:

same here!! :lol: love the birdy's plane.

Even ramjets and scramjets need fuel. The only difference is that the incoming air is "rammed" into the engine by the speed of the aircraft rather than by a stage 1 compressor. One would first need a rocket booster or something to push the aircraft to a high enough speed for the ramjet to start working.

"In the time not too far away in future, planes may become a flying bus where pax can be seen loading their own bags to cargo hold below and paying for the ticket at the door side. Got the ticket but doesn't secure you a seat where all seats been occupied, pax are required to stand and cling to a metal bar above the aisle. Galleys are removed to squeeze in more seats."

"In the time not too far away in future, planes may become a flying bus where pax can be seen loading their own bags to cargo hold below and paying for the ticket at the door side. Got the ticket but doesn't secure you a seat where all seats been occupied, pax are required to stand and cling to a metal bar above the aisle. Galleys are removed to squeeze in more seats."

that might happen on commuter flight, maybe short distance like from Kuantan to Pekan or Sempang to KLIA. the german Maglev is the closest thing to that nowadays.

Azuddin

Puduraya ?

T2 at BKI doesn't have far to go to fulfil your vision (2020?) then !

LOL That was taken from a blogarticle I read weeks before while making a search in google. And I find it quite true as time goes. By then they have another type of transportation where you can fly from Auckland to New York in less than one hour. Space maybe? Or living a life like the Jetsons where ur car can fly and maybe through the universe. :lol:

That blended wings looks beautiful. And who needs windows anyway?

At the airport, all passanger will proceed to a special room. There, they will lie in a rectangular casket. Then, some sort of gas will flow in where the passangers will go to sleep. The caskets will then be stacked up and loaded into the aircraft. Any space not utilized for the caskets will be used to carry cargo.

There will be no need for seats, galleys, toilets and cabin crew. All they is is 2 pilots to fly the thing. It will be more secure, too as nobody will be awake to attempt to do any hijackings or sabotage. More efficient too as passangers, cargo and baggage can be mixed in one cavernous hold.

At the end of the journey, the caskets will be brought to reactivation room, where the passangers will be rejuvenated and start off fresh at their destination.

That blended wings looks beautiful. And who needs windows anyway?

At the airport, all passanger will proceed to a special room. There, they will lie in a rectangular casket. Then, some sort of gas will flow in where the passangers will go to sleep. The caskets will then be stacked up and loaded into the aircraft. Any space not utilized for the caskets will be used to carry cargo.

There will be no need for seats, galleys, toilets and cabin crew. All they is is 2 pilots to fly the thing. It will be more secure, too as nobody will be awake to attempt to do any hijackings or sabotage. More efficient too as passangers, cargo and baggage can be mixed in one cavernous hold.

At the end of the journey, the caskets will be brought to reactivation room, where the passangers will be rejuvenated and start off fresh at their destination.

Interesting vision of the future. Except airlines might not want to use the word "casket"...perhaps they want some futuristic terminology such as "Pod" or "Capsule"...something like the "Metronap Pod" pictured here.

IPB Image

If they are using Pods, perhaps airport landings will be redundant. The a/c can just fly over your destination, and jettison your pods. And after landing, you will step out of the pod fresh and ready for your meeting with clients.

I'm not sure whether people will prefer to sacrifice comfort for a cheap flight on long hauls - perhaps the launch of JQ International will supply an answer to that soon.

Speaking of JQ, i know they will provide 'standard seat pitch' in EY, but will there be any complimentary meals ? Or passengers need to purchase one ?

If I have anymore kids of age 1 at that time, I think I'll lose tons of kgs chasing my kids around the plane!!! It was tiring enough on the A330!!! Just don't know where they get the energy from??!!!

..... I think I'll lose tons of kgs chasing my kids around the plane!!!

Why bother chasing in the first place, it's not like they are about to escape outside ! Just kidding - parental insticts sure difficult to overcome :lol:

Bush will not like this idea :lol: No matter how many years, if you still call it planes, you need to book it :)