MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

Mobile phones aboard...

Mobile phones aboard  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever used a mobile phone -in airplane mode- aboard?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What do you think of the idea of enabling passengers to use mobile phones to communicate to the ground aboard?

• Terrific! I hope it will available soon!
    • Only SMS, no voice...
    • No way!!!

With plans to provide passengers access to mobile phones aboard going to be materialised soon, what do you think of it?

I would prefer it if they limit to SMS communication only...

To me the flight is like an oasis from the outside world. It's a great excuse to completely cut off friends, colleagues, family, random acquaintances etc and just RELAX. So I wouldn't use my mobile phone onboard either way. Heck, I didn't even use Connexion by Boeing even though it was available on SQ and it was available for free for 30 minutes.

I think other people definitely should have the freedom to choose whether they want to use their phones onboard. But they should not be able to disrupt the ambience of the cabin by yakking away on their phones. I say limit it to SMS, and phones must be on silent.

Edited by Keith T

i still remember once my instructor showed me what happen if u switch on a hp .. well seems like VOR/DME needle goes haywire ...

i still remember once my instructor showed me what happen if u switch on a hp .. well seems like VOR/DME needle goes haywire ...

Just on my recent MH KUL-DXB A332 flight. Approaching DXB, attendants hurriedly going around the cabin checking if somebody had cellphone switched on. :o

My good friend, MH B734 captain, swears that somebody's cellphone once blanked his displays. :blink:

.ny

Eventhough cell phone were permitted to use inflight, but how do you use it if you are at international airspace..........of course unless If you have GSM you can get international coverage............May be this can use during emergency ie. hijack etc :)

When I was doing a KUL run coming in on SQ 112 where Azahan our hero was there to catch my departure, something happen on ILS 32L.

We captured the LOC at about 20 miles out. Suddenly Autopilot reverts to basic Heading and Altitude modes. We went manual flying and reengage the AP. Went well for 5 seconds same thing. But this time AP disconnect by itself. We queried tower of ILS integrity and reports of problems from other aircraft. NONE was the reply.

By now we too busy configuring and coming in for a greeaaseeerrrrr.....so Uncle Four Gold Bar hand fly all the way and I chit chat with lady controller. On ground we ask engineer to check system but found no errors. Going back to SIN (my sector flying) everything was OK in Changi ILS. Of course greaserrrr also lah... So we suspected somed10t passenger using or inadvertantly left mobile device on. And could be receiving call or SMS at that time in KUL.

So guys, for your own safety sake, please please, turn the damn thing off. Its not funny if we have to do an Autoland in bad weather conditions and Mr. AP decided to trip last minute. Speak up if you see the guy or Ah Moi sitting nearby using any phone OK? Phone only yah.......cameras OK!!

LeeCH

I remember reading about the Helios 737-300 crash last year. shortly before the crash, someone on the ground received a tax message from the flight, the message was about the plane in trouble and going to crash.

Azuddin

so, before we trump up the handphone blame, I think it is unfair to put priority on handphones alone. if they ban handphone usage, might as well ban pda, laptop, cd player, psp, digital camera usage on board, rite? anyways, just my personal opinion so hope it won't get personal....

A digital cellphone is great technology, and if you study the modulation scheme used, you would be amazed that it's actually happening. Modulation is the trick where info (i.e. your speech, your SMS, your MMS, etc) are embedded inside the radio signals for transmission thru the air. In the digital cellphone, bursts of intense energy of radio waves interlaced with info are periodically emitted (that's why if you place your cell-phone next to your TV set say, you get this staccato noise, then the video may get distorted, whenever the phone is receiving/sending stuff). Imagine you are at seat 23A or something, and some mission critical copper cable is snaking next to you inside the panel. It would be interesting to see what a cellphone does to the vital signals traveling along this cable, right?

Well, what about those other gadgets you mentioned? For one thing they don't do modulation, though being electronics, they tend to emit some wayward radio waves, weak though, hence the allowance at cruising altitudes. It helps for you to understand the science behind these gizmos.

.ny

naim,

point taken. very true in deed. and yes I believe I still remember some systems or electric/electromagetic theory so I do have some basic understanding of wats happening. understanding is one thing while the thing happening in real life is another. if this is true, why isn't there any test that proves this interference? and why are other airlines allowing the usage while some just ban it completely? why sometimes the crew suspect that cd players, psp, pda or laptop to be the source of the interference eventhough like wat u mentioned earlier, they are, simply put it, non-transmitting devices. why? that's the question. why the big inconsistencies in wat is right or wrong, or can or cannot use. mind boggling as it is, good feedback on ur part. thanx.

No problem. Why not do a bit research? Can start with these reputable sites: B)

http://spectrum.ieee.org/mar06/3069

http://spectrum.ieee.org/mar06/3078

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/chan...s/VIEW04136.xml

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_artic...675&ch=infotech

http://technocrat.net/d/2006/4/10/2277

.ny

by the way, I'm against the use of handphones in the aircraft not because of safety, but the interference to other passengers... imagine a 12 hour flight with sms tones and ringtone blarring at max volume (as if they're deaf). I think people are not ready for this privilege, so until we can be more civilized, I hope we won't have such facilities....

Fully agree with you, Dante....I'm already annoyed a lot when people in the public transportation, like bus, tram or train are chit-chatting in a loud way....don't want and need to know their problems :angry:

Especially in an aircraft, I'd like quiet- and peaceful surroundings, enjoying the nice views, good food and beautiful ah-moi flight-attendants ;)

by the way, I'm against the use of handphones in the aircraft not because of safety, but the interference to other passengers... imagine a 12 hour flight with sms tones and ringtone blarring at max volume (as if they're deaf). I think people are not ready for this privilege, so until we can be more civilized, I hope we won't have such facilities....

Fully agree with you, Dante....I'm already annoyed a lot when people in the public transportation, like bud, tram or train are chit-chatting in a loud way....don't want and need to know their problems :angry:

Especially in an aircraft, I'd like quiet and peaceful surroundings, enjoying the nice views, good food and beautiful ah-moi flight-attendants ;)

Fully agree with you, Dante....I'm already annoyed a lot when people in the public transportation, like bus, tram or train are chit-chatting in a loud way....

some of them don't know the term of indoor voice.

Azuddin

some of them don't know the term of indoor voice.

Azuddin

I'm totally agree with you,Azzudin.How can the airline allows the mobile phone usage onboard,as it might intefere with the aircraft system.

I'm totally agree with you,Azzudin.How can the airline allows the mobile phone usage onboard,as it might intefere with the aircraft system.

Looks like we all agree of each other :p

Well we can call through the inflight telephone thou, just expensive :) But definately agree If they have inflight mobile, the flight will be noisy+engine noise and distract lots of people ;)

If we just go view TK's amazing approach pics at BKI over at Observation Hill (Walk around an airliner) they more or less prove digital cameras have no effect whatsover on an ability of a T3 to land safely whilst snapping away happily !

also intefere with someone one the other seat who is trying to get some sleep. remember this what happen to me when i flew on Air India (JFK-LHR). the guy behind me using the inflight phone but it's like he is talking in public.

maybe same rule should be applied in KL LRT

Azuddin

also intefere with someone one the other seat who is trying to get some sleep. remember this what happen to me when i flew on Air India (JFK-LHR). the guy behind me using the inflight phone but it's like he is talking in public.

maybe same rule should be applied in KL LRT

Azuddin

In Japan, no phone calls allowed in trains, LRTs, tubes. Only texting OK. In bullet trains, calls can be made only in special compartments where you find payphones, vending machines and toilets. And the Japanese follow this ruling religiously. :)

.ny

In Japan, no phone calls allowed in trains, LRTs, tubes. Only texting OK. In bullet trains, calls can be made only in special compartments where you find payphones, vending machines and toilets. And the Japanese follow this ruling religiously. :)

.ny

i don't think we malaysian are all about following the rules. I do see simple rules that people ignore like LRT rules, highway speed limit, even using cellphone while driving.

I'm not pointing out straight, even i do make mistake.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

I want peace and quite on a flight. Even having a quite person next to you is already too near, what more if he or she is yapping away?

In Europe a lot of trains have "quite" carriages, i.e., in certain carriages, handphones are banned (also, loud walkmans, MP3 players, loud chatting). This is ok, it gives you a choice. But in a plane, this can't be done.

Can someone also explain this to me - if you have your FM radio on, you sometimes hear funny sounds just before a mobile phone rings or receives an SMS. What is the explanation for that? For me, it is proof enough that mobile phones can interfere with radio signals....

When people buy an airplane ticket, I believe their first intention is to ARRIVE SAFELY.

Electromagnetic interference by by radio-wave-emitting devices such as handphone will reduce the chance. Do you really want that to happen?

As far as I know, the ILS is a very low powered signal, and this is easily interfered with by the mobile phone signals. Its mainly the landing that is critical. So just switch the phone off...!

When I flew on Qantas last year, as soon as we touched down and got to the taxiway, they announced that we could use our mobiles! That was the first time I had heard that announcement. Most other airlines dont even let switch on the phone at anytime...

B)-->

QUOTE(Kelvin B @ Apr 28 2006, 10:35 AM) 44977[/snapback]

As far as I know, the ILS is a very low powered signal, and this is easily interfered with by the mobile phone signals. Its mainly the landing that is critical. So just switch the phone off...!

When I flew on Qantas last year, as soon as we touched down and got to the taxiway, they announced that we could use our mobiles! That was the first time I had heard that announcement. Most other airlines dont even let switch on the phone at anytime...

I know BA has the rules but they don't really care thou as long the plane on the ground, my parents call me during taxi last month ;)

I know BA has the rules but they don't really care thou as long the plane on the ground, my parents call me during taxi last month ;)

:o :o

But for me, NO WAY for handphone using onboard. Beoing CONNEXION on board is ok, but cellphones, noway! <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)">