MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
mokhzani

Bad weather and dead passenger delay MH002

What is going on here. With proper communications, certainly the passengers would understand.................

"PETALING JAYA: Passengers on board Malaysian Airlines flight MH002 from KL International Airport (KLIA) to Heathrow in London were stuck in the plane for five hours while it sat on the tarmac in Manchester.

They had to remain in the plane when it arrived at Manchester Airport because of medical emergency due to a death of a passenger."

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/03/29/mh002-delayed-manchester/

This is something that is quite common with airlines - the lack of information.

Same thing happened on the Airasia X flight to Australia a few weeks ago - pax got irritated because of the lack of info from the airline and their representatives.

It's up to the captain to tell the cabin right? I've had my share of lack of info from those upfront. I've also had flights with chatty and enthusiastic captains,even telling the cabin we were on hold, estimated holding time, what sequence number, what landmarks we were passing, etc etc

Does airline deliberately not revealing info to passengers? It's frustrating if it happened to any of us.

sometimes the airlines themselves don't have the necessary info especially in situation like this, a double whammy of weather diversion and death of passenger.

the crew can't do much and would need to follow the instructions from the airport authorities who themselves might lack experience in handling these kind of situation.

furthermore planes are being diverted to Manchester from London so you can imagine the airport authorities having their hands full which might lead to delay in handling emergency situation of MH02

I've been on the tarmac before for close to 4 hours due to storm delay at DFW and all the flight crew can say is that we're on queue for departure pending clear weather...but of course as expected the flight couldn't depart and had to head back to gate as crew were past their working hours limit...

so in short, when faced with this kind of situation, it involves both the airline and the airport authority. conflicting information might be given leading to confusion and lack of communication to broadcast the situation

It appears the affected aircraft -MNF, flew back to KUL direct from MAN.

Not sure if it flew with pax of MH3, and if so, how did MH got the pax up to MAN. Anybody knows?

Controlled flow of information. Sometimes it is better to withhold certain information, especially when you yourself have questions or uncertainties.

I've been on the tarmac before for close to 4 hours due to storm delay at DFW and all the flight crew can say is that we're on queue for departure pending clear weather...but of course as expected the flight couldn't depart and had to head back to gate as crew were past their working hours limit...

We once endured many many more hours than that whilst in transit at AUH from LHR to KUL

Initial delay due to sand storm/fog

After a couple of hours waiting in queue for take off, an incoming flight apparently took out some lights at the runway - which of course totally ruined the party and everyone trooped back to the terminal

With the very many planeloads of inconvenienced travellers disgorged and accommodated at the not too spacious AUH as I remember it to be, the party mood of course deteriorated further thereafter. Particularly amongst the Arabic speaking shouting contingents who were, I assume, making sure the service agents were made aware of their displeasure

If I remember correctly, we spent like a half day trying to wring out info, from anyone really, as to our fate - and with benefit of hindsight now, I guess no one was going to be dumb enough to stick his/her neck out to offer even faint hope of an expected departure, not when EY must have been scrambling in the background to assemble teams of crew to get stuck planes and pax out of their hub :)

Sign in to follow this