MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
M N Fairizuan

MAS Introduces Premium Economy/Super EY

In the Super EY concept, passengers will be able to enjoy the environment of the Business class cabin, the comfort of the seat pitch and seat features. However the inflight service will be that of FULL Economy. This will include all services from check-in at Economy counters to Economy tray service. There will also be no access to the Golden Lounge. Amentity kits will also not be uplifted for Super EY.

At present this is available as an introductory offer on the Kuala Lumpur/Jeddah/Kuala Lumpur route only. This product is offered for travel commencing 3 April 2006 till 28 October 2006.

The seating capacity will be as follows (B747/B744):

Non retrofitted aircraft - 18F/32C/18SEY/318Y

Retrofitted aircraft - 12F/26C/15SEY/306Y

Does that mean part of those GCC seats are marked as Premium Economy?

IMO that'll be the most luxorious Premium Economy. Thought will that make less GCC class available to pax and affect revenue?

Damned, I would pay for it. How much more $$$ is it anyway? To be able to sleep one of the new C beds, i definately wont mid paying a bit extra!

As of 3 April 2006, the fare difference (between SEY and Y Fare) is an average RM1,700 (about US$ 450)per adult for a return trip. Customers are advised to check the current rates at the time of purchase.

This is a similar product to SQ's Executive economy package on the Direct LAX and EWR runs on the A345.

This is a similar product to SQ's Executive economy package on the Direct LAX and EWR runs on the A345.

The Executive Economy cabin has a seat pitch of 37 inches. I'd say MH's economy plus product with business class seats is closer to that of TG (except for the A345) which has been selling J seats on some of its older configs as Y+. As it includes retrofitted aircraft too, MH's new Y+ cabin easily trumps any of the other existing Y+ offerings on the market. It would be awesome value to get Y+ on the new J seats!

Edited by Keith T

As of 3 April 2006, the fare difference (between SEY and Y Fare) is an average RM1,700 (about US$ 450)per adult for a return trip. Customers are advised to check the current rates at the time of purchase.

A bargain I must say, if getting the modified C-class seat :mellow:

I think there will be market for this kinda of investment. Some paseengers willing to pay a lil bit for comfort. Is the ticket price going to be in between Biz and economy?

It is good for MAS to adopt the Premium Economic Class, they must have realised that there is a huge gap between C class and Y class. This will make MAS' Super Economy class a superior product. I am looking forward to travel on one of these rather than C class. Y class meal portion is enough for me. Looks like it will beat NZ's Premium Economy anyday.

Those are the best Economy class that I have ever been in... Was lucky enuff to get one from Jakarta to Singapore.... :D. The A345, an amazing plane........!

Obviously, MH is not really introducing a new class segment but rather a quick-fix to its yield problems on the JED route & probably to capitalise on the summer holiday season in the M-E, where pax may be willing to pay a bit more for comfort but not that much more to get into the C cabin/ service.

Other Premium Y class (BA's, VS', TG's etc) have hardware that fits in between the standard Y offering and C. Here, MH offers C hardware with Y service.

When there is premium economy, when you request for upgrade, will it be from Economy to Premium, premium to Biz and so on.

Seth K,

Yes, price between GCC and Y Fare.

Upgrade,

Upon check-in at the airport, customers who purchased GCC tickets but are unable to go up the stairs to the upper deck will be offered Super EY seats on the main deck. If the offer is accepted, their tickets will then be stamped with the word 'downgraded' to enable them to get a refund. Alternatively during check in, customers will be offered First Class seats, for which they will need to pay the fare difference.

As per normal, you can make a request for preffered seat in SEY class.

SEY = C cabin with full Y service.

Edited by M N Fairizuan

well yes my dad juz returned from MANCHESTER....which he operated out a week ago and apparently...the system had already started...and the groundstaff informed him that its a directive from Idris Jala...but pax had to pay 400 Euros...i think its a good thing..firstly...u stop those annoying pax on board from asking the C/Crew for an upgrade..secondly..you get to convert empty GCCL seats into more revenue.....i've always believed Idris Jala is gonna do some smart moves..he's already doing so..

Sanjay,

400 Euros for a one-way MAN-KUL upgrade is steep, figuring that would be 500 USD...it's quite a difference of the 450 USD for a return previously mentioned... :huh:

Now that this is brought up, I recall being offered a 'special promotion' by the call centre operator where I can upgraded to Biz class seats for NZ$700 extra one-way on AKL-KUL, but without lounge access or the extra 10kg baggage allowance.

Now that this is brought up, I recall being offered a 'special promotion' by the call centre operator where I can upgraded to Biz class seats for NZ$700 extra one-way on AKL-KUL, but without lounge access or the extra 10kg baggage allowance.

Eventually after add up all the cost, you pay 2/3 of the current biz rate which is great if you get the new seat. Sound like a good deal, but uhm....save the 700 for other things may be a better choice.

I think premium Y is a good idea. If I fly C class sometimes I just want to get on board and sleep and don't care about the service (please, Ah Moi, I don't want a 4 course dinner, I just want to sleep, and please don't even think about waking me up for Nasi lemak). Actually most longhaul flights are overnight, and most of the time, I need to sleep because I have to work when I arrive. So I appreciate C seats more than C service. On the other hand, if my company pays for me to fly in C class, then I'll gladly take the service.

On personal trips on Y, then the premium Y could be attractive... say for the return flight after a nice relaxing holiday.

Must say getting those biz class seats on MH would be wonderful. I have seen the BA 747 ones, and those are 8 abreast (instead of 10 in normal Y). MH is only 7 abreast!

I think BA is making quite decent money on the premium Y. My cousin worked at the check-in at LGW and said that there are always requests for paid upgrades to premium Y.

Oh just wanted to add - my wife came with me on my Africa trip. I went for work so had a C ticket. My wife had a Y ticket, and I upgraded her with my airmiles so she could sit next to me. As soon as we took off, she fell asleep and missed dinner. And she finally woke up after breakfast was being cleared. Then she said sorry she missed the service, the movies, etc., and I said, grudgingly, don't worry, I only spent 50k miles for her upgrade.... Now, she would have been equally happy with a premium Y ticket!

Edited by Azman MN

Pieter,

yes....but i am not sure if it has been standardised now....i'll check it out for you guys again when my dad returns from MAN again this monday...

missed the service, the movies, etc., and I said, grudgingly, don't worry

Gee, I donn't wanna treat like that, I wanna eat whenever I want to eat :) I guess the plane to Africa is not AVOD :D 50K miles is a lot, can get a free 8 hours flight!

Hello guys :)

The Premium Y class is a promotional fare for Apr-Oct flights from KUL-JED sector.After Oct,these fares will not available.But let's just hope that this Premium Y class is applicable for other international routes :)

Hello guys :)

The Premium Y class is a promotional fare for Apr-Oct flights from KUL-JED sector.After Oct,these fares will not available.But let's just hope that this Premium Y class is applicable for other international routes :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM TAMIZI

I think if the demand hiohg, they may continue to introduce this new class :)

Thanks Seth :)

That's good.Let's just imagine....sitting on a C-class seats with a Y-class tickets,it's wonderful :D