MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Heathrow Airport runways closed for emergency landing

Both runways were closed at Heathrow Airport after a British Airways plane made an emergency landing, the airport has said.
All passengers and crew were "safely evacuated" from the plane following the incident at about 09:00 BST.
John Coghlan told the BBC he saw a "black smoke trail" from the engine of a British Airways Airbus A319.
He said: "[it was a] safe landing and passengers evacuated by chutes on runway." There was "no fire", he added.
London Fire Brigade tweeted: "One crew from Heathrow fire station is assisting Heathrow Airport's fire service with an aircraft fire.
"We believe the fire is now out."
The southern runway has since re-opened. The northern runway remains closed.
Reports:

Pix posted on Twitter shows part of the port engine cowling is no longer there:

https://twitter.com/TBoneGallagher/status/337837849028206593/photo/1

I was delayed because of the incident.
my flight supposed to depart LHR at 1630hrs, and it was delayed until 2030hrs.
as a result, I missed my connecting flight at 0115hrs because the delayed plane arrived 0230hrs at the connecting airport.

the airlines provide me accommodation, and rebooked me on the next available flight, which will leave at 1510hrs and arrive at 0630hrs.

bad news is, I missed my brother's wedding......

As the aircraft departed Runway 27L at London Heathrow Airport, the fan cowl doors from both engines detached, puncturing a fuel pipe on the right engine and damaging the airframe, and some aircraft systems. The flight crew elected to return to Heathrow. On the approach to land an external fire developed on the right engine. The left engine continued to perform normally throughout the flight. The right engine was shut down and the aircraft landed safely and was brought to a stop on Runway 27R. The emergency services quickly attended and extinguished the fire in the right engine. The passengers and crew evacuated the aircraft via the escape slides, without injury.

Subsequent investigation revealed that the fan cowl doors on both engines were left unlatched during maintenance and this was not identified prior to aircraft departure.

As the aircraft departed Runway 27L at London Heathrow Airport, the fan cowl doors from both engines detached, puncturing a fuel pipe on the right engine and damaging the airframe, and some aircraft systems. The flight crew elected to return to Heathrow. On the approach to land an external fire developed on the right engine. The left engine continued to perform normally throughout the flight. The right engine was shut down and the aircraft landed safely and was brought to a stop on Runway 27R. The emergency services quickly attended and extinguished the fire in the right engine. The passengers and crew evacuated the aircraft via the escape slides, without injury.
Subsequent investigation revealed that the fan cowl doors on both engines were left unlatched during maintenance and this was not identified prior to aircraft departure.

Thanks for the info! I got rerouted and delayed badly cause of a cancelled flight - BA rejected my EU261/2004 claim because they said it was "extraodinary circumstances" beyond their control - leaving cowlings unlatched during maintenance doesn't qualify. I'll go re-submit :) woo hoo!

The mx crew responsible will be screwed big time because of this. I guess the pilots trusted the mx crew did their jobs properly so much that they did not notice this during the walkaround

Subsequent investigation revealed that the fan cowl doors on both engines were left unlatched during maintenance and this was not identified prior to aircraft departure

I'm curious in what form these investigations are undertaken - is there a log book or something for these sort of things or do they go round asking everyone involved whether he/she has 'locked up' ? :)

I'm curious in what form these investigations are undertaken - is there a log book or something for these sort of things or do they go round asking everyone involved whether he/she has 'locked up' ? :)

I believe planes do have service logs & every maintenance done is meticulously recorded.

I believe planes do have service logs & every maintenance done is meticulously recorded.

No doubt those logs are there, but are they so detailed as to go right down to "starboard fan cowl door latched; port fan cowl door latched" level of meticulousness ? :)