MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Airline foods

my uncle did told me that they uses "joy" sometimes but not often, they uses "peel fresh". if you ride international, you'll know, they pour them in the cup right in front of you.

Azuddin

Personally I think MH food in Y is quite good, although it lacks presentation (especially compare to SQ)

On short haul flights MH seems to be more generous than most other airlines, we even get a choice of 2 main courses on domestic flights >1hr+. In Europe for a flight with a same duration of KUL-KCH or BKI, you'd be lucky to get a sandwich ;)

I flew Silkair between SIN and KCH last year, on SIN-KCH run we were served a heated small chicken wrap, KCH-SIN was heated small chicken puff and a little muffin. The size and the taste was appalling. MAS even serves hot meals on the JHB-KCH run, and their fare is only a fraction of Silkair's.

hey, i think those orange juice are nice. i really enjoy it chilled while watching the cloud or when sitting in business class while waiting for the c and y class to be filled.

one of my uncle who previously work at MH catering told me that some of the orange juice may be a bit bitter because of being chilled for a long period. i don't care how long it's been chilled but the bitter taste makes it good. now i always chilled my orange juice for a day or two before opening it just trying to get the same taste as the in-flight orange juice :D .

Azuddin

LOL I agree. Me too especially now in hot sunny afternoon, nothing better than a small glass of chilled orange juice with 2 cubes of ice. C class glasses gives the feel of elegant and extremely perfect for enjoying while looking out the window and/or just chill out and drink the juice just like u are enjoying a glass of red wine. Always prefer orange juice than guava ones.

Agree with Chai....took 3 hours flight in US.......got a half glass of Coke only.........and the fare is like 500 dollars roundtrip........me bankcrupt!

Last but not least, sometimes I think we should think and process before we say something. Iceman, you get it?

and..................reveal your real name, and not a "fake" one; do you have something to hide ???

i flew on Delta, they gave me only a cup of coke. flew on America West and Continental, both gave me a whole can everytime i flew with them.

Azuddin

Ex-KUL or "from KLIA" or ex-PEN flights. For flight less than 0100 hour... for "cattle" :o class pax... choice of Milo or Orange Juice.

Brand: Berry's

Taste: "Very" sour orange juice, not sweet nor "sweeten" <_< OJ. No sacs.

Flights Ex-BKI/KCH ... less then 0100 hour flight... choice of Orange Juice and Mango Juice.

Brand: Joy

Occasionally, Berry's Orange Juice.

For GCC... freshly squeezed OJ... most of the time with orange sacs.

I think something is wrong with your organ of taste (tongue) o ;) :rolleyes: B)

Peace.... B)

Edited by M N Fairizuan

Want good mango from MAS? Try HKG-BKI, they give nice 'Nectar" from Oman, or MNL-KUL / MNL-BKI, the Philippines mango juice is just fantastic.

The OJ, MJ or GJ served depends much on what is uploaded from the stations.

Just had 4 flights on Golden Club Class with MH.

Compared to other airline food, MH food is fantastic. You guys who fly MH all the time should try some European or American airline food (if they serve anything at all!!) and you will appreciate MH food as much as I do.

Also, I arrived at 4am at KLIA and not wanting to turn up at my parents house too early and waking everyone up, I went to the lounge and had a shower and found some nasi lemak over there... that nasi lemak is also very good! Most European airline lounges don't even serve proper food even at their home base!

Just had 4 flights on Golden Club Class with MH.

Compared to other airline food, MH food is fantastic. You guys who fly MH all the time should try some European or American airline food (if they serve anything at all!!) and you will appreciate MH food as much as I do.

Also, I arrived at 4am at KLIA and not wanting to turn up at my parents house too early and waking everyone up, I went to the lounge and had a shower and found some nasi lemak over there... that nasi lemak is also very good! Most European airline lounges don't even serve proper food even at their home base!

Of course lah, you travel biz class. In the 90s I traveled lotsa biz class (and the occasional 1st) all over the place, and MH was my choice too (at that time I was with a big GLC). But the bulk of travelers use economy. I use economy ever since I started running my own business when I just wanna get from point A to point B at the least cost. So the biz class argument is not relevant to me, and prolly to most travelers. And I found the food on my last MH economy flight (KUL-MAN-KUL, late '05) bland and unappetizing - terpaksa telan sebab lapar! I find SQ economy food more wholesome, which I used for all my trips to the US last year. I hope MH economy feeds me better when I do KUL-DXB-KUL next month.

.ny

Of course lah, you travel biz class. In the 90s I traveled lotsa biz class (and the occasional 1st) all over the place, and MH was my choice too (at that time I was with a big GLC). But the bulk of travelers use economy. I use economy ever since I started running my own business when I just wanna get from point A to point B at the least cost. So the biz class argument is not relevant to me, and prolly to most travelers. And I found the food on my last MH economy flight (KUL-MAN-KUL, late '05) bland and unappetizing - terpaksa telan sebab lapar! I find SQ economy food more wholesome, which I used for all my trips to the US last year. I hope MH economy feeds me better when I do KUL-DXB-KUL next month.

.ny

Well maybe not relevant to you, but relevant to the topic. Besides, I am comparing MH biz class to other airlines' biz class, not biz class to economy class. I have been in MH economy class a few times (before this last trip, I only flew GCC once) and comparing MH economy class food to american or European economy class, MH wins easily.

This is my lunch on a Swiss flight ZRH-LHR 2 weeks ago. I think it is a caesar's salad with a couple of pieces of chicken and some croutons. The desert looks like it has been touched by someone else, look at the chocolate part. And guess what... this is business class. Flight time 1 hour 40 minutes. I have flown MH on economy class KUL-BKK... around the same flight time, and the food was better! Only when I flew european or American airlines I start to appreciate MH... economy food on MH (and other Asian airlines) are often better than biz class of the europeans and americans.

IPB Image

food and what juices we drinks in an airplane are all depending of what station we are at.

MH food in economy frm FRA is different than the one from KUL.

I have taste many kinds of food stuff and drinks from many station, and i tell you what....its a balance world out there....sometime you get it right and sometime you dont.

what i normally do whenever i fly...I DONT EXPECT something great.

what can we do...its "Airline Food"............. :)

By the way.....Fried Noodle from FRA for EY breakfast on MH....ONE of the best!! :) burp....i eat too much airline food. :huh:

Best Fish stuff....Stockholm...EY or C.

Best Lamb...PER...C

Best Vegetarian...PVG and NRT....C and EY

Best Steak....NONE....No class

Best Prawns....BKI

Best Cakes...ZRH...C

Best Coffee....Cap Hang Tuah!!!! :lol:

best Cheese....AMS ?

I believe the airline job is to transport a person from point A to point B, one should go to restaurant for proper food.

No one is complaining the food serve on AK because that is the standard and expectation of no frill airline.

Food serve on US and European regional flight is in another league because that is what is expected and standard in that part of the world.

However, for a full service airline like MH, there is always a comparison with our neighbours SQ, EK and CX.

LH serves (self service) ground coffee and selection of tea to Y class pax at their hubs in Germany.

Most Malaysians prefer the cheaper sweetened orange drink (e.g. ‘Joy’ and ‘Peel Fresh’) and instant coffee than pure oj (e.g. Berry) or brewed coffee.

..... Sabah's seafood is fresh and much better than those you can get in KL :lol:

It must be, a PJ colleague of ours wants to being 30kg fish etc back today, before ice and packing material. I forgot to inform him about MH's excess baggage policy nowadays !!

BTW, TK mentioned prawns. A Sabahan's expectation of a 'prawn' can be a bit way off from the 'shrimps' one normally gets served in Y class you must admit :D

..... one should go to restaurant for proper food

I think you might just have libeled a whole sub-sector of the catering industry, worldwide ! :lol: :lol:

..... there is always a comparison with our neighbours SQ, EK and CX.....

In other words, kiasu again loh !

It must be, a PJ colleague of ours wants to being 30kg fish etc back today, before ice and packing material. I forgot to inform him about MH's excess baggage policy nowadays !!

BTW, TK mentioned prawns. A Sabahan's expectation of a 'prawn' can be a bit way off from the 'shrimps' one normally gets served in Y class you must admit

Heard somewhere that Sabah is renowned for fresh prawns and the land that grows a kind of sweet tasting vegetable not availabe in the west. Local Hakka Chinese refer to this vege as "su zai choi". The "mountain rice" planted by the Kadazan-dusun near Mt Kinabalu is comparable to top grade Thai Jasmine rice you can get, if it is not better! Sadly the production of these rice is rather limited due to the very limited arable land near Mt Kinabalu.

Any visitor to Tawau will notice the acres of prawn farms near the shoreline near the new Tawau airport, these prawns when they are matured will be air freighter to Taiwan and Hong Kong, it will ended up at their restaurant. Quite a few of my friend's father are involved in business of this kind and it is a money spinner.

The fresh prawn and the sweet vege is pretty much appreciate not by local Sabahan but has been highly sought after by the Hong Kongers and Taiwanese. :lol: I am sure BC and Isaac will know what I am talking about here!

Edited by S V Choong

I believe the airline job is to transport a person from point A to point B, one should go to restaurant for proper food.

No one is complaining the food serve on AK because that is the standard and expectation of no frill airline.

Funny, replying to posting by KK Lee, but above it says 'iceman'. Same person kah?

Anyway, yes, plane is to take person from A to B, and frankly meals are bothersome and tedious to me. Would rather take a nap, read, or enjoy the IFE (esp the AirShow channel). I can survive AK flights so far without meals, and I only need water, which I can easily smuggle on-board (I wonder what happens if they catch me gobbling my KFC somewhere above the South China Sea?).

But in a medium to long-haul flight I still need something I like eating even in economy. Which brings me to the MH advert on Astro boasting 37 menus for biz class! When are they going to look after the hoi polloi at the back of the plane - ppl like me?

.ny

An update on my colleague - got whacked a fortune for excess baggage, apparently not a single kg excess allowed without charge. They ARE serious this time round !!

An update on my colleague - got whacked a fortune for excess baggage, apparently not a single kg excess allowed without charge. They ARE serious this time round !!

B C,

is this on AK or MH ?

Local Hakka Chinese refer to this vege as "su zai choi". The "mountain rice" planted by the Kadazan-dusun near Mt Kinabalu.....

...... involved in business of this kind and it is a money spinner.

Caution on "su zai choi" - if somehow you're not served the young & tender grade, be prepared to swallow toothpicks (well, near enough)

"mountain rice" known as "san woh mee" - not as fragrant as Jasmine rice IMO but heck of a lot nicer than the 'normal' rice. A bit like the famous Bario rice from Sarawak I guess.

Yes, money spinner the seafood export business here in Sabah it is. It is common belief here in KK that most of the top grade seafood gets sent off to HKG where they fetch prices locals here would not dream of ! You should be so lucky Tawau still has ample supplies, and cheaper too. Must try to schedule a market visit there soon !

is this on AK or MH ?

It was MH. With AK, it has always been that way !

Since we expect fresh and delicious food serve on board, some of the pre-packaged food served are not up to the standard of freshness for some people. What do you think about having onboard chef sounds (does not directly point to a certain airline!)?

Since Gulf Air does has this kind of service, I'm really curious about it and what the pax responds to this service?

at least airline food is way better then space food.

you guys ever try freeze dry food. I did try some when i was at the space center at Houston. Freeze dry is just, ......hate to say about it, OK imagine sucking a cold soup out of a plastic :wacko: of course they could heat it up.

i wonder how those people survive for months long on board ISS up there.

Azuddin

Since we expect fresh and delicious food serve on board, some of the pre-packaged food served are not up to the standard of freshness for some people. What do you think about having onboard chef sounds (does not directly point to a certain airline!)?

Since Gulf Air does has this kind of service, I'm really curious about it and what the pax responds to this service?

f we want on board chef, maybe airline should install exaust for outtake for the cooker hood :D :D . it's like having a chimeny :lol: :lol: .

Azuddin

Sign in to follow this