MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Roy Chin

World Airline Awards 2012 [MH is back to 5 star!!!]

Congratulations MAS. I j have just flown in from LHR into KUL in business. Service was great, satay was great and I got the full attention. And I am not even a mat salleh. The cabin crew made it less painful for a long haul flight. They deserve it. Kudos MAS despite all the bashings.

OK

How much did they bribe?

Now way can they compete with CX and SQ. Service is great ( well done the cabin crew) Satay is Ok rest? ai- yah.

Portions small, standard of food loose to Emirates, SQ, CX etc.

Hahahah

This is what I'm waiting for

Free bashing session by fellow mwinger.....

If they won awards, means they bribed people ya? Come on la...

A lot of people still think MH is a great airline except Malaysians themselves.

One can never be satisfied with whatever they have.

With all the negative publicity surrounding QF and abrupt grounding of whole fleet just because the CEO threw a tantrum certainly damaged QF's reputation, we are not surprised to see it out of the league. NZ's 10 abreast B777 came to mind......However, MH needs to step up to the game as it is teetering at the edge......but still quite an achievement consdering the strong competition from ME-based airlines. All three biggies: QR, EK, EY are up there.......GA and GF soon will be as well.

Never thought NZ and QF are good enough to be in the Top 10 anyway...

OK

How much did they bribe?

Now way can they compete with CX and SQ. Service is great ( well done the cabin crew) Satay is Ok rest? ai- yah.

Portions small, standard of food loose to Emirates, SQ, CX etc.

:nea:

WORLD AIRLINES AWARDS 2012

TOP 40 AIRLINES OF THE YEAR

01. Qatar Airways (1 in 2011)

02. Asiana Airlines (3)

03. Singapore Airlines (2)

04. Cathay Pacific Airways (4)

05. All Nippon Airways (11)

06. Etihad Airways (6)

07. Turkish Airlines (9)

08. Emirates (10)

09. Thai (5)

10. Malaysia Airlines (12)

11. Garuda Indonesia (19)

12. Virgin Australia (32)

13. EVA Air (16)

14. Lufthansa (15)

15. Qantas Airways (8)

16. Korean AIr (24)

17. Air New Zealand (7)

18. Swiss International (13)

19. Air Canada (21)

20. Hainan Airlines (23)

21. Dragonair (18)

22. Air Asia (20)

23. Oman Air (28)

24. Aegean Airlines (22)

25. South African Airways (42)

26. Virgin America (33)

27. Bangkok Airways (27)

28. British Airways (44)

29. China Southern Airlines (29)

30. Jetstar Airways (30)

31. Finnair (40)

32. TAM Airlines (25)

33. China Airlines (39)

34. KLM (46)

35. Japan Airlines (49)

36. SilkAir (26)

37. China Airlines (36)

38. LAN Airlines (34)

39. Austrian Airlines (17)

40. Air Asia X (41)

8 Airlines in the Top 40 are based in ASEAN, that's a 20%!

Edited by psidarta

BEST AIRLINE IN (EAST) ASIA 2012

01. Asiana Airlines

02. Singapore Airlines

03. Cathay Pacific Airways

04. All Nippon Airways

05. Thai Airways

06. Malaysia Airlines

07. Garuda Indonesia

08. EVA Air

09. Korean Air

10. Hainan Airlines

BEST AIRLINE CABIN STAFF 2012

01. Malaysia Airlines

02. Asiana Airlines

03. EVA Air

04. Singapore Airlines

05. All Nippon Airways

06. Thai Airways

07. Qatar Airways

08. Garuda Indonesia

09. Cathay Pacific

10. Hainan AIrlines

All Asian Finals here... Asian hospitality rules!

BEST FIRST CLASS CABIN 2012

01. Etihad (1 - Best First Class Seats 2012, 1 - Best First Class Catering 2012)

02. Singapore Airlines (2, 4)

03. All Nippon Airways (6, 3)

04. Cathay Pacific Airways (3 -)

05. Emirates (4, 8)

06. Qatar Airways (-, 5)

07. Qantas Airways (-, 6)

08. Lufthansa (5, 7)

09. British Airways (10, -)

10. Malaysia Airlines (-, 10)

BEST BUSINESS CLASS CABIN 2012

01. Cathay Pacific Airways (2, -)

02. Qatar Airways (3 - Best Business Class Seats 2012, 3 - Best Business Class Catering 2012)

03. Oman Air (1, -)

04. Singapore Airlines (4, -)

05. Etihad (-, -)

06. Swiss Inernational (-, 1)

07. South African Airways (-, -)

08. Virgin Australia (-, -)

09. Hainan Airlines (-, -)

10. Qantas Airways (-, 5)

BEST ECONOMY CLASS CABIN 2012

01. Singapore Airlines (3 - Best Economy Class Seats 2012, 1 - Best Economy Class Catering 2012)

02. Qatar Airways (2, 3)

03. Asiana Airlines (1, 4)

04. Garuda Indonesia (4, 7)

05. All Nippon Airways (10, -)

06. Malaysia Airlines (8, -)

07. Turkish Airlines (-, 2)

08. Thai Airways (6, 5)

09. Cathay Pacific (-, 9)

10. Virgin Australia (-, 10)

BEST SIGNATURE DISH 2012

01. Malaysia Airlines

02. -

03. -

No other airlines competing in this category!

Edited by psidarta

MAS And AirAsia Win Big In World Airline Awards 2012

FARNBOROUGH, July 13 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and AirAsia received top accolades from SKYTRAX World Airline Awards, announced at the Farnborough Air Show Thursday.

The national carrier's reputable cabin crew won the "World's Best Airline Cabin Crew" and its signature satay won the accolade as the "Best Airline Signature Dish".

Frills-free carrier, AirAsia, bagged the "World Best Low-Cost Airline" and the "Best Low-Cost Airline in Asia" titles in the world's leading passenger satisfaction awards.

MAS was also awarded a 5-star status in the SKYTRAX World Airline Awards, joining an elite group of airlines in recognition for their consistent and high quality of products and services.

To top it off, MAS was installed as one of the top 10 airlines of 2012.

Commenting on this, SKYTRAX Chief Executive Officer Edward Plaisted said the recognition was "very much on the basis of the broad change seen taking place with MAS."

"We have looked across their line of products and are beginning to see a proper momentum by MAS towards being at a high service level. All of their efforts gave us the assurance that they are back on track," he said.

Plaisted also said the feat by AirAsia in being the world's best low-cost airline for the fourth consecutive year was impressive.

"It is an honour to receive this prestigious 5-star ranking and to be additionally recognised by our passengers as leading the way in service and hospitality on board Malaysia Airlines.

"Of course, this is not the end for us. With our new fleet of planes and a significant refurbishment throughout our services, we hope to win more next year," MAS Group Chief Executive Officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said.

AirAsia Group Chief Executive Officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes, when asked on his airline's consistency of bagging the award for four years consecutively, attributed the success to his "great staff with great discipline."

"We fight hard to give low fares yet provide great service," he added.

The awards round off an exciting month for MAS, having joined the elite league of carriers to fly the world's largest and most eco-efficient airliner, with the launch of the first non-stop A380 service between KL International Airport in Sepang and Heathrow International Airport in London on July 2.

AirAsia has also been on a good run in terms of awards with one just last week when highly influential aviation industry magazine "Aviation Week" ranked the budget carrier as the top performing airline of 2012, beating longer- established and renowned airlines such as Singapore Airlines and Ryanair, Europe's largest low--cost carrier.

The World Airline Awards are the global benchmark for airline excellence, with over 18 million travellers from over 160 countries and 100 different nationalities taking part each year in the world's largest independent passenger satisfaction survey to decide the winners.

Curious to know; if a restaurant or hotel use poorer quality cup and teaspoon than McCafe, can it qualify to be a 5 star establishment? :sorry:

BEST AIRLINE CABIN STAFF 2012

01. Malaysia Airlines

02. Asiana Airlines

03. EVA Air

04. Singapore Airlines

05. All Nippon Airways

06. Thai Airways

07. Qatar Airways

08. Garuda Indonesia

09. Cathay Pacific

10. Hainan AIrlines

EVA Air is the third best ? What a joke!

I thought NZ was airlines of the year last year, no?

Thought you were impressed with their service?

Nope. I wasn't. I was happy to pay an Economy Class ticket yet able to pre-reserved their Premium Economy Class seat. I was also happy that we were served a full hot meal on a flight that lasted just 1 hour 5 minutes and that they were fast in doing what they do. However, on board service left much to be desired. It's a Taiwanese carrier yet one can't feel the Taiwanese warmth at all. Flights attendants on both of my flights were impatient and they hardly smile. Sometimes I felt that they should just ground all these flight attendants and let them to work on the ground and let their ground staffs to fly instead as all the EVA Air ground staffs at TPE are very friendly, polite and helpful.

Edited by Isaac

Reply to Cheng Long re my commenys about "whom did they bribe"

I have flown MAS more than a few times mainly business class. Satay is GREAT. Service also very good --friendly and efficient. ( But so is CX and EK. Sing is not so good service -wise anymore.)

The rest of the MAS experience? Not good.

Seats on Biz class are not true flat-bed. They incline, so after a while you slip down. Also narrow.

Food is dismal after the satay. Choice is limited. Last neal : beef rendang - inedible Balek Pulau Lembau -tough as hell

Sorry. But CX , SQ and EK do a beter job.

Is this the reason MH no longer fle to Dubai? They cant compete. Do try EK Biz Class . The mezze which is only an appitiser is a meal in itself. 180 degree fuul flat beds. They are staggered so even with a window seat you dont have to climb ober your fellow pax to go to the lavatory.

is EK also 5 star ?

You bet

I have flown MAS more than a few times mainly business class. Satay is GREAT. Service also very good --friendly and efficient. ( But so is CX and EK. Sing is not so good service -wise anymore.)

Seats on Biz class are not true flat-bed. They incline, so after a while you slip down. Also narrow.

Food is dismal after the satay. Choice is limited. Last neal : beef rendang - inedible Balek Pulau Lembau -tough as hell

Is this the reason MH no longer fle to Dubai? They cant compete. Do try EK Biz Class . The mezze which is only an appitiser is a meal in itself. 180 degree fuul flat beds. They are staggered so even with a window seat you dont have to climb ober your fellow pax to go to the lavatory.

is EK also 5 star ?

You bet

That is why MAS didnt win the award for best business class! They won the best cabin staff and the best signature dish! Make it sense right?!BTW, from my knowledge, the 5 star status is awarded to the carrier not only based on its in-flight services alone but to include the ground services as well. So how does EK ground services compare to MAS?

Edited by dean hizudy

Managed to google some info on NZ

Skytrax World Airline Awards - 2011

Winner - Best Airline Australia / Pacific

Winner - World's Best Premium Economy Class Airline [b777-300]

Winner - World's Best Premium Economy Class Airline Catering [b777-300]

The number of awards is just mindblowing

This is an understatement...

is EK also 5 star ?

You bet

CX staff isn't as friendly as MH... :nea:

Even on CX and MH, the service on board can be a hit and miss. The senior Filipino stewardess on my flight from PEK to HKG last time only seemed to be interested in helping out Business Class passengers and the whites in Economy Class while two other Hong Kong Chinese stewardesses in Economy Class were not friendly at all and very impatient especially when people kept asking them if they were going to miss their connecting flights in Hong Kong as we were more than an hour behind schedule.

Even on SQ, Their Singapore girls were great, and so were the junior Singapore boys. The senior Singapore uncles however, were not very friendly and didn't seem to be very willing to help out needy passengers. Lucky us, the senior Singapore uncles were mostly in Business Class and I have since written a feedback to their customer service recovery department in Singapore to convey my disappointment on their Senior Singapore uncles.

And having traveled on MAS so many times, of course I have met some fantastic crews (mostly their Japanese crews), good crews, so-so and even rude ones. The one that I still remember was this flight I took from KUL to BKK last year. Pretty much all 4 cabin crews in Economy Class on that particular flight seemed to be having menses (erm... even the dudes...). They are definitely a liability to MAS and probably the biggest sham to the company that prides itself for having some of the best cabin staff in the world.

The most consistent one, in my humble opinion is Asiana Airlines. Flew them 4 times in the past 6 months and they are just awesome. Friendly, polite and a very consistent on board service.

is EK also 5 star ?

You bet

To be fair to MAS, the type of staggered JCL seat you mentioned only appllies to EK 388. The rest of EK fleets still feature an angled flat bed in JCL.

Managed to google some info on NZ

Skytrax World Airline Awards - 2011

Winner - Best Airline Australia / Pacific

Winner - World's Best Premium Economy Class Airline [b777-300]

Winner - World's Best Premium Economy Class Airline Catering [b777-300]

There are actually many complaints on NZ supposedly revolutionary new Premium Economy seat. It may look very sophisticated and different from the rest of the competitions, the seat layout is actually very impractical and legroom is tiny for Premium Economy standard.

Even on CX and MH, the service on board can be a hit and miss. The senior Filipino stewardess on my flight from PEK to HKG last time only seemed to be interested in helping out Business Class passengers and the whites in Economy Class while two other Hong Kong Chinese stewardesses in Economy Class were not friendly at all and very impatient especially when people kept asking them if they were going to miss their connecting flights in Hong Kong as we were more than an hour behind schedule.

Even on SQ, Their Singapore girls were great, and so were the junior Singapore boys. The senior Singapore uncles however, were not very friendly and didn't seem to be very willing to help out needy passengers. Lucky us, the senior Singapore uncles were mostly in Business Class and I have since written a feedback to their customer service recovery department in Singapore to convey my disappointment on their Senior Singapore uncles.

And having traveled on MAS so many times, of course I have met some fantastic crews (mostly their Japanese crews), good crews, so-so and even rude ones. The one that I still remember was this flight I took from KUL to BKK last year. Pretty much all 4 cabin crews in Economy Class on that particular flight seemed to be having menses (erm... even the dudes...). They are definitely a liability to MAS and probably the biggest sham to the company that prides itself for having some of the best cabin staff in the world.

The most consistent one, in my humble opinion is Asiana Airlines. Flew them 4 times in the past 6 months and they are just awesome. Friendly, polite and a very consistent on board service.

IMHO I think this has something to do with local cultures of the respective airlines. Flew on CX only twice and the service is so-so. Nothing to shout about. I bet AK to some extend maybe better and more attentive. Food from KUL - HKG was better than the other way round. Service on MH economy widebody to and fro international destination was so much better the last time I flew, and I only flew half way from KUL - BKI and vice-versa. The plane was enroute to and from NRT. Yup, donkey years ago I know, but good memories stay forever.

There are actually many complaints on NZ supposedly revolutionary new Premium Economy seat. It may look very sophisticated and different from the rest of the competitions, the seat layout is actually very impractical and legroom is tiny for Premium Economy standard.

Maybe the same case here where some would question the award to certain airlines.

IMHO I think this has something to do with local cultures of the respective airlines. Flew on CX only twice and the service is so-so. Nothing to shout about.

Feedbacks from frequent travelers in CX First & Business Class suggest that the service level varies greatly between the premium cabins and steerage (source: A.net). I personally think that there are more bad apples in CX amongst the top airlines in this region.

Service on MH economy widebody to and fro international destination was so much better the last time I flew, and I only flew half way from KUL - BKI and vice-versa. The plane was enroute to and from NRT. Yup, donkey years ago I know, but good memories stay

I totally agree with you. MH80/81/64/65 were my favorites! :p

A society or group of people, who find any reason to drink, dance, party and celebrate should be more open, friendlier and approachable in general than society or people that celebrate festivals in more solemn manner and wary of outsiders.

To individual, one tends to be more comfortable with people from the same culture, hence, would find them more approachable and easier to communicate i.e. friendly.

If one can break cultural barrier, will find cabin crews of other nationals are equally if not more friendlier.

A society or group of people, who find any reason to drink, dance, party and celebrate should be more open, friendlier and approachable in general than society or people that celebrate festivals in more solemn manner and wary of outsiders.

To individual, one tends to be more comfortable with people from the same culture, hence, would find them more approachable and easier to communicate i.e. friendly.

If one can break cultural barrier, will find cabin crews of other nationals are equally if not more friendlier.

I find Japanese to be very friendly, but they have quite solemn festivals.

Sign in to follow this