MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Have you been on a 747 to BKI?

Just wanted to find out who has been on a 747 from KUL-BKI?

I have only been on it for once...... it was supposed to be a flight operated by a 737-400. Then they have decided to upgrade it to a 747-400 (rego. 9M-MPB). According to the flight attendant, there is a large team of Kadazan-Dusun passengers sponsored by the government to travel to the nation's capital for some sort of activity. Therefore I was able to get this upgrade! The 747-400 arrives in KUL a little earlier than the 737-400 too. I was put next to the emergency exit as I am deemed large enough to open the door in the case of an emergency :)

I looked at the MAS online timetable, there isn't really a regular schedule 747-400 flight into BKI from KUL. Although they used to have it occasionally.

Personally, from KUL, no. To KUL - once, the domestic leg of NRT-BKI-KUL run, on board one of the 744 combi's. It was back during Subang era.

Uneventful flight, until everyone was ready to disembark. Plane ended up parked at cargo part of Subang and there was a wait of something like 20-30 minutes before they could summon the stairs and coach.

Hari Raya and Chinese new year.....747 used to be ops for KUL-BKI-KUL. extra flight with 4 digit starts with number "7" flight number. we had this year, if im not mistaken.

Hmm.... perhaps I should say to/from KUL.......

Uneventful flight, until everyone was ready to disembark. Plane ended up parked at cargo part of Subang and there was a wait of something like 20-30 minutes before they could summon the stairs and coach.

BC, was Subang T1 full at the time you arrived at Subang? At least you have been crossing the ramp to the Cargo area. I would love to do a crossing over the bridge (above the Highway) on an a/c. Like the scene in Beijing, China.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0905208/L/

TK, do you think landing a 777-200 at BKI is a bit of a struggle? I have never been on a 777 to BKI before...... For 747-400 it is definitely a hard bit of a struggle as the thrust reverser was deployed fully. Not so much of a problem for DC-10, A300 and A330s however.

Used to be 747's were regularly deployed to BKI and KCH during Raya and CNY periods. Of late, I noticed there are fewer "7xxx" flights and usually smaller birds used. Ever since the red tailed variety imposed a more significant presence !

BC, was Subang T1 full at the time you arrived at Subang?

Nope, as far as I can recall, there were quite a few unoccupied bridges at the terminal at that particular point in time. My guess would be we were parked where we were to facilitate unloading of cargo from back of the plane.

Just wanted to find out who has been on a 747 from KUL-BKI?

I've never traveled on 744 between KUL and BKI but have seen MAS 744 at BKI. It was MH65, supposed to be operated by 333 in year 2003.

The 747-400 arrives in KUL a little earlier than the 737-400 too.

So as the 772, 332 and 333. Always 15 - 30 quicker.

TK, do you think landing a 777-200 at BKI is a bit of a struggle? I have never been on a 777 to BKI before...... For 747-400 it is definitely a hard bit of a struggle as the thrust reverser was deployed fully. Not so much of a problem for DC-10, A300 and A330s however.

I'm not a pilot but i've traveled on MH772 between BKI & KUL for like more than 30 times (round-trip) and the plane always stop long before the end of the runway.

Edited by Isaac

Hari Raya and Chinese new year.....747 used to be ops for KUL-BKI-KUL. extra flight with 4 digit starts with number "7" flight number. we had this year, if im not mistaken.

Indeed, 6 years ago, I flew 9M-MPA with a 7xxx flightnumber from BKI-KUL: it was during school-holidays...

Been in SevenFour to BKI once in 2005, seated in jumpseat. Yup Captain used full reverse, landed on Runway 20, VOR-DME approach. On landing roll a F50 pilot holding short of runway commented our landing, and the 4 of us had a good laugh in the cockpit.

I've never travel to BKI with B744 but i did once travel from KUL to BKI with B777. The flight number was MH7119. It was an early morning flight, around 7a.m.

I was curious so I asked the flight attendant why today we use B777 rather than B737. She answered this is all because of many freshies to UMS (Universiti Malaysia Sabah) were taking this flight. No doubt, i'm one among them. :p

The flight was very smooth, we landed after 2hr 30min flight at runway 20. The a/c performed its reverse trust as well, and cleared the runway with the first taxiway..

I've never travel to BKI with B744 but i did once travel from KUL to BKI with B777. The flight number was MH7119. It was an early morning flight, around 7a.m.

I was curious so I asked the flight attendant why today we use B777 rather than B737. She answered this is all because of many freshies to UMS (Universiti Malaysia Sabah) were taking this flight. No doubt, i'm one among them. :p

I never flew 747 in short distance.

once, i was on a flight like this but all is a coincident. i flew IAH-LAX, the flight used to be on 757. but that night they bring out the 767-400. it's my second flight on 764. i wonder why. the pilot announce that my high school football team is having a trip to LA. no wonder it's full. nice to see that one of my friend who was a cheerleader also on board.

Azuddin

I never flew 747 in short distance.

once, i was on a flight like this but all is a coincident. i flew IAH-LAX, the flight used to be on 757. but that night they bring out the 767-400. it's my second flight on 764. i wonder why. the pilot announce that my high school football team is having a trip to LA. no wonder it's full. nice to see that one of my friend who was a cheerleader also on board.

Azuddin

Wah..........I can't believe they upgrade a 757 to 764 just because of a school football team :blink:

......On landing roll a F50 pilot holding short of runway commented our landing, and the 4 of us had a good laugh in the cockpit.....

Care to elaborate more? It seems funny, :p so maybe no technical jargon here..

Been in SevenFour to BKI once in 2005, seated in jumpseat. Yup Captain used full reverse, landed on Runway 20, VOR-DME approach. On landing roll a F50 pilot holding short of runway commented our landing, and the 4 of us had a good laugh in the cockpit.

What did the guys in the F-50 said about your landing?

Only 2 photos of a 747 in BKI on A.net.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0678803/M/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0462785/M/

Widebodies prefer to land on runway 20 due to no 180 turn at end of runway, which is necessary if landing on 02.

B747 used to be a regular feature in BKI, doing flights to/from japan, now operated by the B777. But some upgrades do happen especially during school holidays and festive season, at least before the onslaught of the red and white dot com.

I think B747 still comes to BKI during hajj season.

Widebodies prefer to land on runway 20 due to no 180 turn at end of runway, which is necessary if landing on 02.

The 744 flight I took in 2001 did a 180 degree turn after landed in Runway 02

last time i heard from someone that the widebody prefer to land on r20 bcoz hav extra runway length to slow down the aircraft. Captain Radzi, can give more info bout this?

Wah..........I can't believe they upgrade a 757 to 764 just because of a school football team :blink:

not just because of the Highlander football team is on board, they bring the entire cheerleader with them too. i guess it's reasonable to upgrade. from what i see in that flight, there's few teachers and coaches, some supporter, the team and cheerleaders. one of the cheerleader (my classmates/friend) recognize me and invite me to come along with them, but i got another matter to deal with.

Azuddin

last time i heard from someone that the widebody prefer to land on r20 bcoz hav extra runway length to slow down the aircraft. Captain Radzi, can give more info bout this?

It has something to do with "displaced threshold" or something isn't it ? Oh excuse me, better let the professionals deal with this query before I put my foot in too deep !

not just because of the Highlander football team is on board, they bring the entire cheerleader with them too.

Today's footballers never work without cheerleaders :lol:

Today's footballers never work without cheerleaders :lol:

you got that right. but my team doesn't need any cheerleaders. they are just annoying actually.

Azuddin

It has something to do with "displaced threshold" or something isn't it ? Oh excuse me, better let the professionals deal with this query before I put my foot in too deep !

what it mean 'displaced threshold'?

As I understand it, a displaced threshold means the targetted 'touch down' spot on a runway is moved further down away from the physical end of the runway due to an obstacle (eg hill) Approaching from the other end of the runway, in the absence of obstacles, the runway length is nominally longer.

After all that, I think it's still best we leave it to the professionals to clarify.

i think i know which one lor.... is that this?

. |

. |

. |

. |

_|_____________________

*my poor art... :D

which can found at R02? pro.... need ur help...... :lol: :lol:

Edited by Sherman

Only case of displaced threshhold I know about is at Sempang. Touchdown zone on Rwy 22 was shifted further upwind because new buildings were erected on the approach path outsde the airfield fence.

Sign in to follow this