MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
kandiah k

Pelangi Air

Does these aircraft being transferred / sold to others since it is never delivered?

There were two ATR 72 in this livery, namely G-BWDA and G-BWDB.

G-BWDA (cn 444 - not an auspicious number if you ask me...) First flight in 1995 for Gill Airways, now re-regged as CN-COB and operating with Royal Air Maroc. Was to be 9M-AMB. Source

G-BWDB (cn 449) First flight in 1995 and for Gill Airways as well. Now flying for Aurigny Air Services in the same registration. Was to be 9M-AMA. Source

Thanks for sharing the pics and info. would be interesting if these airlines still fly or actually operate.

G-BWDA (cn 444 - not an auspicious number if you ask me...) First flight in 1995 for Gill Airways, now re-regged as CN-COB and operating with Royal Air Maroc. Was to be 9M-AMB. Source

G-BWDB (cn 449) First flight in 1995 and for Gill Airways as well. Now flying for Aurigny Air Services in the same registration. Was to be 9M-AMA. Source

Thanks for sharing the pics and info. would be interesting if these airlines still fly or actually operate.

Thanks for getting the info, well at least there are over 20 ATR 72 with Malaysia now...yea, will be more interesting if we had more small airlines doing some other routing / offerings I guess...

Thanks for getting the info, well at least there are over 20 ATR 72 with Malaysia now...yea, will be more interesting if we had more small airlines doing some other routing / offerings I guess...

eh,indeed we will have more regional airlines in our country right? one of which will take off this 11th November

About the Mafira Air F28; If I'm not mistaken,It was later operated by Batavia Air as PK-YCM.

About the Mafira Air F28; If I'm not mistaken,It was later operated by Batavia Air as PK-YCM.

Yeap, it went to Batavia Air after a short spell with Mafira Air. The full status of her is as below:

Aircraft History

REG OPB DATE COMMENTS

PH-ZCC Fokker 1981-05-20 Re-registered

N512 Altair Airlines 1981-05-22

N512 Empire Airlines 1983-06-01

N512 Piedmont Airlines 1986-05-01 Merged

N495US USAir 1989-04-05 Merged

PH-ZCC Southern Cross Aviation 1996-12

9M-AMZ Mafira Air Charter S 1997-09-13

9M-AMZ Pelangi Air 1999-03 Leased

9M-AMZ Mafira Air Charter S 2000-01 Returned

PK-KFD Bali International Air Service 2000-06

PK-YCM Batavia Air

Sadly, she was scrapped few years back after flying for 25 years. :sorry: :sorry:

Radzi Desa caught her few years back when she did Jakarta-Pontianak-Kuching vv: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Batavia-Air/Fokker-F-28-4000-Fellowship/0484997/

Judging from the interior photo, it looks very spacious http://www.airliners.net/photo/Batavia-Air/Fokker-F-28-4000-Fellowship/0878464/&sid=b5eaeb0d750ba735f35b0573070b9506..gotta love those cushion seats, instead of padding nowadays!!

Both RAM and Aurigny are still operational...

2 of never-delivered ATR-72 aircrafts of Aero Malaysiana

aeromalaysiana.jpg

Anyone here knows why this airline AeroMalaysiana failed to get off the ground? Pretty sad when the aircrafts were ready to be delivered.

aeromalaysiana2.jpg

Interesting. Maybe should change the title of the thread to an appropriate one.

I remember the Fokker F50 of Pelangi Air ... the "aerodynamic Hibiscus" mentioned earlier came across to me as looking like the "trumpet" shaped portion of an antique record player. This used to operate from Changi Airport in Singapore to Malacca Airport.

And I also remember Pelangi's DO228 ... with the rainbow livery.

KC Sim

IAnd I also remember Pelangi's DO228 ... with the rainbow livery.

KC Sim

Yes I remember that at the KUA airport too.....I think they flew it to Tioman island in the afternoons on some days, if not daily.

I used to handle 9P's ground operations at Changi T1. Was with SATS then, 9P's GHA at SIN.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Pelangi-Air/Fokker-50/0244400/L/&sid=021218f1d94ddd5e403c2bad5c636951

Back then (mid 90s) 9P had a daily morning SIN-MKZ-IPH flight using the F50. The pax load was fair - around 60 - 80% considering the not-so-cheap price of the ticket. Yet, people were willing to pay because the other option was the 4-hour road trip on the PLUS highway :) The problem was that 9P had frequent flight cancellations which meant transfer of pax to MH (SIN-KUL-IPH) or SIN-KUL and taxi transfer to Malacca. Very costly for the airline you can imagine! Flight crew consisted of Captain, FO and 3 female FAs dressed in pink, hibiscus-themed kebaya. Even for the short 40-minute hop to MKZ, 9P served chilled juice and sandwiches.

When the airline wrapped up, one F50 sat rotting in storage at Senai airport for quite a while. So sad!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Pelangi-Air/Fokker-50/0509133/L/&sid=021218f1d94ddd5e403c2bad5c636951

No idea :) I suppose in one of the empty seats; plane was never full anyway. But you are right; sometimes there were only 2 FAs.The was one time when one of the FAs either lost track of time time shopping at the terminal or could not find her way back to the gate in time for the departure and was left behind by the angry captain. She showed up at the gate very shortly after the plane (always parked in a remote bay) was taxing away and we had to called ATC to inform the captain. The plane returned to bay and we rushed the poor FA in a van to it and boarded her. I think she was in for disciplinary action upon the plane's arrival in MKZ!

Oh dear...was in T2 a few years back. Heard them paging QZ crew to return to their plane...that was really funny! "Will the crew for Air Asia Indonesia QZ XXX please return to GateX, your passengers are ready for boarding..." We were rolling with laughter!