MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ikman Ikreza

AirAsia - Counter Check-in fee of RM10 per guest

This is hardly a new development. Most LCCs in other parts of the world have already implemented this fee for a while now.

There's a reason why they're called Low Cost Carriers. The Low Cost part of it is not on the passenger side, that's for sure.

I believe that this is a re-introduction of the check in fee. They did it last year but as there were insufficient self check in kiosks at the airports, they suspended it. Yes, this is nothing new for LCCs. LCCs always charge optional fees. You can opt in or out of them.

So just make sure that when comparing fares, we actually compare the bottom line fares.

its ok if they reduce the check-in fee to rm5 - but definitely not rm10. Self-check in is good too as then it will be faster for most pax. However ak should make exception to those aged above 55 n young travellers below 15 as they are not likely know how to use the kiosks or internet check in.

I just see it like this. Those days when we go to the bank to deposit cash into an account, we do it over the counter for free. With the emergence of cash deposit machines, deposits over the counters were charged a service fee. If we can deal with those machines, I believe the self-check in counters will be a no-brainer at all. Or to make it simple, pay if you want the easy way out. :drinks:

its ok if they reduce the check-in fee to rm5 - but definitely not rm10. Self-check in is good too as then it will be faster for most pax. However ak should make exception to those aged above 55 n young travellers below 15 as they are not likely know how to use the kiosks or internet check in.

Last year if not mistaken on their planning effective 6 October 2010, they try to implement the counter check-in fee at RM5 per person per sector. http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14877&st=0&p=262555entry262555

Nowadays, they will increase to RM10 and why not just remain to last fee at RM5?

Nowadays, they will increase to RM10 and why not just remain to last fee at RM5?

Because last year that pesky fly was still making life miserable ? :pardon:

I just see it like this. Those days when we go to the bank to deposit cash into an account, we do it over the counter for free. With the emergence of cash deposit machines, deposits over the counters were charged a service fee. If we can deal with those machines, I believe the self-check in counters will be a no-brainer at all. Or to make it simple, pay if you want the easy way out. :drinks:

Well, cash deposit over the counter is still free nowadays unless you've reached your monthly quota (for basic savings/current account with no ATM card annual fee) or if you are using Maybank **M2U savers account. Some banks however, insist that cash deposit not more than RM5,000 must be done via cash deposit machine only. RHB Bank comes to mind :)

**exceptions apply

Edited by Isaac

The implementation and enforcement is to force the users to learn how to be independent. This will increase company's productivity and require lesser work force while the existing work force can be utilised for other purpose.

The implementation and enforcement is to force the users to learn how to be independent. This will increase company's productivity and require lesser work force while the existing work force can be utilised for other purpose.

Correct - they already got rid of booking clerks and travel agents - you book the flights yourself. You make your own connections. Now they move to the next stage - check in yourself!

What next?

According to AK of the RM10 charge

AirAsia Hi En Man, Hairul, the RM10 charge is based on the calculation of rental and manpower cost needed per day of operations, for one pax per check-in counter.

AirAsia Hi Irene, if you have web check-in but did not print your boarding pass, you have to pay for Counter Check-in fee as it will be considered as recheck-in. Please note that now you can check-in upon your flight confirmation up to 1 hour (AirAsia flights) or 4 hours (AirAsia X flights).

It seems FREE only for self check-in (via mobile and web) and Kiosk check-in is chargeable. Those not printed their own boarding pass eventhough check-in via web also chargeable. Guests who self check-in and printed their boarding pass won't be charging Counter Check-in fee.

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Well, cash deposit over the counter is still free nowadays unless you've reached your monthly quota (for basic savings/current account with no ATM card annual fee) or if you are using Maybank **M2U savers account. Some banks however, insist that cash deposit not more than RM5,000 must be done via cash deposit machine only. RHB Bank comes to mind :)

**exceptions apply

I believe PBB is also quiet flexible on that.

They are promoting Web and Mobile Check In only. How about Kiosk Check In? Will they charge for that too?

Maybe they will introduce token operated check-in kiosk. :p

They are promoting Web and Mobile Check In only. How about Kiosk Check In? Will they charge for that too?

AK answered on their official FB..Kiosk check-in not chargeable.

AirAsia Hi En Man, Guests who self check-in via kiosk won't be charging Counter Check-in fee.

Is this also applicable to premium class passengers?

Yes. Premium class passengers will also be charged a RM10 counter check-in fee.

I’ve paid for the counter check-in fee but my flight was cancelled, what should I do?

In case of flight cancellation, you are entitle for a full refund or be placed on the next

available flight. Guests who are moved to a new flight due to flight reschedule/cancellation,

check-in fee will be exempted for recheck-in of the new flight.

Will this apply to disabled and young passengers travelling alone (YPTA)?

Disabled guests or those with reduced mobility that require special needs such as: blind or

visually impaired guest, deaf or hearing impaired guest & incapacitated (on wheelchair) will

be exempted. However, YPTAs will be charged for the counter check-in fee.

Who are exempted from the counter check-in fee?

• Guest with reduced mobility and those with special needs

• ID90/WAK/ATM

• VVIP & VIP (subject to station manager approval)

• Recheck-in due to flight retime/reschedule

• NTL(Not to land) cases

• For connecting flight passengers who does not exit the transfer hall upon arrival at

the transit point

Can I still “Manage my booking” on the website after I have checked in?

Yes. After you’ve performed a self check-in, you are still able to pre-book meals, Pick A Seat,

Supersize Baggage and many others under “Manage my booking”. Once you have self

checked-in, Flight Change will not be allowed.

I am travelling with an infant, can I do self check-in?

Yes, adult travel with infant will be able to utilise our self check-in facilities.

In case of 2D barcode scanner machines breakdown or I have problem scanning my 2D

barcode using the machine, what should I do? Will I be charged the counter check-in fee to

print my boarding pass?

• In case of 2D barcode scanner machine breakdown, you can proceed to the check-in

counter to request for a free check-in provided that you present your 2D barcode to

the staff at the check-in counter to prove that you have already self checked-in.

• If you having problem scanning your 2D barcode, kindly look for our Customer

Services representatives on duty for assistance.

I am travelling in a group and there are more than 9 passengers under the same PNR, can I

perform self check-in to avoid the counter check-in fee?

Yes, now you can do WEB check-in for group booking. However, mobile and kiosk check-in

are NOT available for group booking check-in.

Will I still be charged the counter check-in fee in case of kiosk breakdown?

Yes, as manual check-in procedure at the counter needs to be performed in the event of

kiosk breakdown. Guests are strongly encouraged to perform WEB check-in to avoid such

incident.

Can I pre-pay online for counter check-in fee?

Yes. You are able to pay the counter check-in fee during flight booking if you wish to check-in

at the airport conventional check-in counters.

Is this also applicable to premium class passengers?

Yes. Premium class passengers will also be charged a RM10 counter check-in fee.

I’ve paid for the counter check-in fee but my flight was cancelled, what should I do?

In case of flight cancellation, you are entitle for a full refund or be placed on the next

available flight. Guests who are moved to a new flight due to flight reschedule/cancellation,

check-in fee will be exempted for recheck-in of the new flight.

Will this apply to disabled and young passengers travelling alone (YPTA)?

Disabled guests or those with reduced mobility that require special needs such as: blind or

visually impaired guest, deaf or hearing impaired guest & incapacitated (on wheelchair) will

be exempted. However, YPTAs will be charged for the counter check-in fee.

Who are exempted from the counter check-in fee?

• Guest with reduced mobility and those with special needs

• ID90/WAK/ATM

• VVIP & VIP (subject to station manager approval)

• Recheck-in due to flight retime/reschedule

• NTL(Not to land) cases

• For connecting flight passengers who does not exit the transfer hall upon arrival at

the transit point

Can I still “Manage my booking” on the website after I have checked in?

Yes. After you’ve performed a self check-in, you are still able to pre-book meals, Pick A Seat,

Supersize Baggage and many others under “Manage my booking”. Once you have self

checked-in, Flight Change will not be allowed.

I am travelling with an infant, can I do self check-in?

Yes, adult travel with infant will be able to utilise our self check-in facilities.

In case of 2D barcode scanner machines breakdown or I have problem scanning my 2D

barcode using the machine, what should I do? Will I be charged the counter check-in fee to

print my boarding pass?

• In case of 2D barcode scanner machine breakdown, you can proceed to the check-in

counter to request for a free check-in provided that you present your 2D barcode to

the staff at the check-in counter to prove that you have already self checked-in.

• If you having problem scanning your 2D barcode, kindly look for our Customer

Services representatives on duty for assistance.

I am travelling in a group and there are more than 9 passengers under the same PNR, can I

perform self check-in to avoid the counter check-in fee?

Yes, now you can do WEB check-in for group booking. However, mobile and kiosk check-in

are NOT available for group booking check-in.

Will I still be charged the counter check-in fee in case of kiosk breakdown?

Yes, as manual check-in procedure at the counter needs to be performed in the event of

kiosk breakdown. Guests are strongly encouraged to perform WEB check-in to avoid such

incident.

Can I pre-pay online for counter check-in fee?

Yes. You are able to pay the counter check-in fee during flight booking if you wish to check-in

at the airport conventional check-in counters.

What a load of crap! :angry:

What a load of crap! :angry:

Totally agree! One word, please don't check in at the counter! It's kinda bullshit that the kiosk can't be checked in due to malfunction issue. So? They can purposely break down the kiosk and impose check in fee on passengers?

Totally agree! One word, please don't check in at the counter! It's kinda bullshit that the kiosk can't be checked in due to malfunction issue. So? They can purposely break down the kiosk and impose check in fee on passengers?

Agreed and certain airport (example at KBR) the Kiosk machine only 1 unit available so if break down passengers no choice and have to pay RM10 at counter check-in.

Advertise on AK website..

Save Time & Beat the Queue with AirAsia's Web & Mobile Check-in! http://www.airasia.com/my/en/latestnews/selfcheckinpress_ak.page

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

AirAsia is emulating Ryanair model. I won't be surprised if they will come up with more charges.

To refresh everyone's memory, here is a list of charges that AirAsia can consider charging:

• Check in at counter
  • Online check in
  • Double the charges for changing name, itinerary
  • Double the charges for extra baggages (both online and over the counter) and excess baggages.
  • 1st bag fee during non-peak season
  • 1st bag fee during peak season
  • 1st bag fee for popular tourist destinations
  • Every second or subsequent bags charges per kg carried.
  • Self check in at the kiosk
  • Using the staircase to get into the plane
  • Each toilet usage (charge per minute use)
  • Using toilet papers, tissue papers and hand shampoo usage
  • Each baby bassinet use
  • Each carry on luggage with double charges for every extra weight: charge per milligrams
  • Each musical instrument carried
  • Using overhead compartments
  • Carrying infant rollers and sports equipment
  • Using Oxygen mask during emergency
  • Using Oxygen release mechanism
  • Reading safety card
  • Reading the inflight magazine
  • Bring back admin fee (double it)
  • Priority Boarding fees (double it)
  • Hot seats selection (double it)
  • All pax must buy at least minimum of RM15 worth of merchandise or duty free
  • Double the food and beverages charges
  • Using cutleries to eat or drink
  • Rubbish disposal
  • To recline your seat
  • Trolley usage at LCCT
  • Using Fast track immigration line
  • Using airport toilet

The above charges will be charged per way/sector.

Edited by JuliusWong

AirAsia is emulating Ryanair model. I won't be surprised if they will come up with more charges.

To refresh everyone's memory, here is a list of charges that AirAsia can consider charging:

• Check in at counter
  • Online check in
  • Double the charges for changing name, itinerary
  • Double the charges for extra baggages (both online and over the counter) and excess baggages.
  • 1st bag fee during non-peak season
  • 1st bag fee during peak season
  • 1st bag fee for popular tourist destinations
  • Every second or subsequent bags charges per kg carried.
  • Self check in at the kiosk
  • Using the staircase to get into the plane
  • Each toilet usage (charge per minute use)
  • Using toilet papers, tissue papers and hand shampoo usage
  • Each baby bassinet use
  • Each carry on luggage with double charges for every extra weight: charge per milligrams
  • Each musical instrument carried
  • Using overhead compartments
  • Carrying infant rollers and sports equipment
  • Using Oxygen mask during emergency
  • Using Oxygen release mechanism
  • Reading safety card
  • Reading the inflight magazine
  • Bring back admin fee (double it)
  • Priority Boarding fees (double it)
  • Hot seats selection (double it)
  • All pax must buy at least minimum of RM15 worth of merchandise or duty free
  • Double the food and beverages charges
  • Using cutleries to eat or drink
  • Rubbish disposal
  • To recline your seat
  • Trolley usage at LCCT
  • Using Fast track immigration line
  • Using airport toilet

The above charges will be charged per way/sector.

Well could be. But some of them in the list is impossible. Like trolley usage at LCCT? This is under and managed by airport, not the airlines. If amenities in the toilet is charged, that would be so ridiculous and provoke many customers. Even worse, safety equipment also will impose charges?? I think IATA will ban the airlines.

Well could be. But some of them in the list is impossible. Like trolley usage at LCCT? This is under and managed by airport, not the airlines. If amenities in the toilet is charged, that would be so ridiculous and provoke many customers. Even worse, safety equipment also will impose charges?? I think IATA will ban the airlines.

Charging for toilet usage and trolley usage are not uncommon. Most toilet in KL charges 20 cents per entry. Melbourne Airport charges AUD 2bucks(?) per trolley use. With virtual 'monopolisation' of Malaysia aviation now, and MAHB charging and increasing everything they can, if the latter charges for both, I won't be surprised. :sorry: :finger:

There was one airline in Canada which removed lifevest from their aircraft because they stated that all their flight are over land, therefore no use of having lifevest. No lifevest= less weight= save fuel~~~ lolx!!!

Edited by JuliusWong

Charging for toilet usage and trolley usage are not uncommon. Most toilet in KL charges 20 cents per entry. Melbourne Airport charges AUD 2bucks(?) per trolley use. With virtual 'monopolisation' of Malaysia aviation now, and MAHB charging and increasing everything they can, if the latter charges for both, I won't be surprised. :sorry: :finger:

There was one airline in Canada which removed lifevest from their aircraft because they stated that all their flight are over land, therefore no use of having lifevest. No lifevest= less weight= save fuel~~~ lolx!!!

Hmmm Now I realise trolley charges may not be something new. I believe in JFK, those who return the trolleys could get some money back. Remember Tom Hanks in The Terminal?

Hmmm Now I realise trolley charges may not be something new. I believe in JFK, those who return the trolleys could get some money back. Remember Tom Hanks in The Terminal?

hahas! Tom Hanks' The Terminal movie! Love i! In Melbourne, they do not refund you. Not sure of JFK..:(

Nothing imposibble soon on AirAsia "Everyone can pay and fly" :D

If Khazanah instils previous (existing ?) MH ideology into AK operations, I fear there will come a day when "Malaysian taxpayers must pay even if you don't fly" :D

Sign in to follow this