MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
dominicchin

seats next to emergency exits

Hi all! :D

Not sure whether this topic had already been discussed or not. Anyway, on my flight on board tiger airways, the seats at the emergency exits are empty and then the FA soon asked a number of ppl to fill up the seats and briefed them on the emergency procedures. However, on my flight with air asia, the Hot seats near the emergency exits are empty and the FA never asked ppl to fill up. Instead, when someone tried to sit there, he was asked to return to his original seat. I wonder is this appropriate in terms of safety? Please advice.

Cheers! :rofl:

On my last flight KUL-PEN, I did not purchase hot seat but I was given the emergency seat without me requesting it. At first I seated at the middle and the seat which next to the window was vacant. However, FA did not comment after I switched to the window seat.

In my opinion, the emergency row should not be left vacant.

On my last flight KUL-PEN, I did not purchase hot seat but I was given the emergency seat without me requesting it. At first I seated at the middle and the seat which next to the window was vacant. However, FA did not comment after I switched to the window seat.

I agree with Wilson. Previously when I was still flying with AK a lot, the stewardess would ask some guys to sit over at the emergency exits if they are empty. Later on they didn't as some AK stewardess and steward started behaving as if they own the aircraft or the airline. And thats how I turned to BI, SQ and MH for much of my travelling.

I do not know about now.

I agree with Wilson. Previously when I was still flying with AK a lot, the stewardess would ask some guys to sit over at the emergency exits if they are empty. Later on they didn't as some AK stewardess and steward started behaving as if they own the aircraft or the airline. And thats how I turned to BI, SQ and MH for much of my travelling.

I do not know about now.

As a regular user of such seats I have seen the following in recent times:

AK - will not let people move there unless they have a ticket for a hot seat. Often I'm the only persion sitting in those rows at seat 12a.

3K - have been told off for moving and ordered to move out unless I buy the ticket. I tried the safety argument and was put down. Note that these seats on 3K are almost upright and not comfortable.

TR - Seems to be 50-50 as to whether people are allowed to move once the door is closed

As far as Jetstar is concerned, a minimum of 2 people MUST occupy each row of the emergency exits and the reason is for the opening of the window hatches.

I notice asians like to jump seats at their own whim and fancies but westerners normally stay put at their seats even if the whole row acorss is empty and ask the crew permission should they want to move to another seat.

At Jetstar, your are only allowed to move seats within zones as the a/c is devided into 3 zones and that also after take off.

The above applies to A320.

Edited by jadivindra

As far as Jetstar is concerned, a minimum of 2 people MUST occupy each row of the emergency exits and the reason is for the opening of the window hatches.

I notice asians like to jump seats at their own whim and fancies but westerners normally stay put at their seats even if the whole row acorss is empty and ask the crew permission should they want to move to another seat.

At Jetstar, your are only allowed to move seats within zones as the a/c is devided into 3 zones and that also after take off.

The above applies to A320.

So how come Ive seen the seats empty on several flights. Maybe the crew are not following SOP ?

So how come Ive seen the seats empty on several flights. Maybe the crew are not following SOP ?

At Jetstar safety is the prime concern. We move pax if needed to fullfil the 2 + 2 seating at overwings regardless how much has been paid.

UNfortunately I cant speak about other airlines as they may have different procedures.

Edited by jadivindra

At Jetstar safety is the prime concern. We move pax if needed to fullfil the 2 + 2 seating at overwings regardless how much has been paid.

UNfortunately I cant speak about other airlines as they may have different procedures.

Im talking about 3k. If you are taling about JQ then it must be different

I travel with JQ and I''ve seen passengers get asked by cabin crew if they want to move to emergency exit rows, if they're empty. It is definitely a safety procedure. Same with DJ. They often make announcements just before boarding to ask if any passengers would be interested in sitting in emergency exit rows where there's more leg room.

On my KUL-BTJ-KUL flights with AK 2 weeks ago, I got assigned the emergency exit seat upon checking-in without having to request for it or pay anything. This happened for both sectors!

In fact, on the BTJ-KUL flight the exit row across from where I was seating was empty but after doors closed, the crew asked 2 passengers to move to the said exit row.

So maybe the policy to not leave it vacant is present on AK but its up to the crew on duty whether it is enforced or not?

I travel with JQ and I''ve seen passengers get asked by cabin crew if they want to move to emergency exit rows, if they're empty. It is definitely a safety procedure. Same with DJ. They often make announcements just before boarding to ask if any passengers would be interested in sitting in emergency exit rows where there's more leg room.

Ok will try and use them soon to test :)

On my KUL-BTJ-KUL flights with AK 2 weeks ago, I got assigned the emergency exit seat upon checking-in without having to request for it or pay anything. This happened for both sectors!

In fact, on the BTJ-KUL flight the exit row across from where I was seating was empty but after doors closed, the crew asked 2 passengers to move to the said exit row.

So maybe the policy to not leave it vacant is present on AK but its up to the crew on duty whether it is enforced or not?

You are one lucky dude!!! hahas!! save some money!!

Welcome to MWings btw!! May you have a great time here! :)

On a MH flight to KK, a rather small built man (5 footer) has a ticket to the EM exit seat. He was politely asked to change to another seat behind by the FA. Probably because based on the FA's judgment, the man was not strong or tall enough to pull and push the door out. However, the man was reluctant to bulge and kept on explaining his rightfulness to the seat as he has demanded it at the counter. After much futile coaxing, the FA asked the passenger next to him (lady) to swap the seat with another gentlemen, and she obliged.

I think the check-in counter should evaluate whether a person is suitable to be seated in this hot seats or not before issuing out the tickets. But nowadays, this would be quite difficult since most airlines are encouraging e-ticket/e-check-in which is unable to determine the physical well being of the passenger where he could choose to sit anywhere the tickets allowed.

On a MH flight to KK, a rather small built man (5 footer) has a ticket to the EM exit seat. He was politely asked to change to another seat behind by the FA. Probably because based on the FA's judgment, the man was not strong or tall enough to pull and push the door out. However, the man was reluctant to bulge and kept on explaining his rightfulness to the seat as he has demanded it at the counter. After much futile coaxing, the FA asked the passenger next to him (lady) to swap the seat with another gentlemen, and she obliged.

I think the check-in counter should evaluate whether a person is suitable to be seated in this hot seats or not before issuing out the tickets. But nowadays, this would be quite difficult since most airlines are encouraging e-ticket/e-check-in which is unable to determine the physical well being of the passenger where he could choose to sit anywhere the tickets allowed.

This thing would have made into court if this incident took place in the United States. No doubt that 5' is short but there are many gymnasts who are this short too and it doesn't mean they are any less stronger than those who are taller and bigger.

This thing would have made into court if this incident took place in the United States. No doubt that 5' is short but there are many gymnasts who are this short too and it doesn't mean they are any less stronger than those who are taller and bigger.

THe only people who cant seat at the emergency exit rows are pregnant women over 6 months,children and handicap pax. Being short isnt one of them. The exit frame weights 15kgs and if you can lift that youre fine. Hence there must be another reason for the move.