MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Chan CS

MAS plane in "grave yard"?

You are right. This one is indeed a MAS Boeing 747-4H6. However, it is not one which MAS retired recently due to recent financial problem.

This particular one is a Boeing 747-4H6M, a General Electric CF6-80 Powered Combi version which MAS taken delivery during the late 80s. All MAS 744 are PW powered from 9M-MPA onwards.

MAS have 4 examples of the GE powered 744 before, 2 which are Combis and 2 full pax have been sold to QF for a cheap deal and are still in service with Qantas. These GE powered 744 were taken out of service around 2001.

The GE powered a/c have the following registration:

9M-MHL, 24315/738 Combi, new registration: N73713

9M-MHM, 24405/745 Combi, new registration: N73714

9M-MHN, 24836/808 full pax, new registration: VH-OEC (QF)

9M-MHO, 25126/858 full pax, new registration: VH-OED (QF)

This one in this photo has been sitting there for some years now, it is currently owned by the Boeing Co. There is suppose to be another Combi sitting around as well

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/305390/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/848987/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/295778/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/478895/L/

By the way, good spotting!

Edited by S V Choong

Hmm... I wonder how many graveyards are there in the world?

thanks for answering! i was wondering because i thought the combi was a b742... but now i knew it, thanks!

by the way anybody know where is the b742 now? MASkargo?

Choong, as u said MAS retired some aircraft due to financial problems, but which are those??

Adrian, the graveyards are MANY in this world! :D but the graveyards for airplane you can try search in a.net, just search for "graveyard" and you will see some, hope this help you!

So sad to see MHM and MHL gone ...

Went to see both aircraft in Subang just before they were sent off ..

I believe One of those 2 aircraft took TK to LHR once upon a time .. I think ..

U can look through TK's photo's in Jetphotos

Choong, as u said MAS retired some aircraft due to financial problems, but which are those??

Sorry I should have made it clearer. MAS retired the GE powered 744 during or after the middle of Asian Economic crisis of the late 1990s.

So far, MAS has not retired any aircraft, except perhaps 9M-MGK, a Fokker F-50. MAS claimed that this Fokker F-50 is an extra which they don't need.

No, the Combis are not restricted to 742 alone. MAS' sole Boeing 747-3H6M (rego 9M-MHK) was another Combi. 747-400 has Combi version too. The only other of the 747-400M that I know of is KLM.

As for the two 747-236B, 9M-MHI Kuching and 9M-MHJ Kota Kinabalu. They started their life as full-pax aircraft and entered their first service with MAS in 1982. MAS converted these two B742s to Special Freighters, meaning it became "747-236B-SF" during 1995. They were converted by Boeing and cargo doors were installed at the strengthened rear section just like the Combis.

MAS sold the two B747-236B freighters just around September 2005. Don't know who bought it though.

I believe One of those 2 aircraft took TK to LHR once upon a time .. I think ..

Yeah I felt sad to see MAS letting them go. They have taken me on the KUL-AKL and KUL-HKG vv routes. I think I was on one of the Combis once. I remember the 744 was so short and I can't seemed to go to the rear section.

Edited by S V Choong

The only other of the 747-400M that I know of is KLM.

And, thanks to this versatile Combi-type, KLM survived quite healthy, both the Asian financial crisis and the 911-period: when passenger loads dropped, they could still earn heaps of money, per flight, from the cargo side ;)

oh, know more today! haha!

thanks for informing! :D

ohya, so where is the f50 now? is that used as a spare? are they going to sell that one? if i am not mistaken they will sell one of it, right?

ohya, so where is the f50 now? is that used as a spare? are they going to sell that one? if i am not mistaken they will sell one of it, right?

Yeah, apparently so.

Seen 9M-MAV at Marana?

It has been sealed up and looks like it is still a useful craft. But the date was 9 years ago, could have been taken apart by now......

i sat on the combi once!

to Melbourne, when it was around Subang era. I remember taking the bus to the plane stand, then board by stairs. Orgasmic Feeling...

9M-MHL used to have the Visit Malaysia 1990 sticker..

Fairul, are you the one on skycrappercity forum as well with ID 9M-MRD...just curious

I think Fairul id in SKycrappercity forum also the same here.. Fairul too... but got 9M-MRD under the ID :lol:

Edited by Ibrahim

may i know the 9M-MAV what happen? and any other reason that MH sell their 744 which powered by GE, other than economy crisis?

may i know the 9M-MAV what happen? and any other reason that MH sell their 744 which powered by GE, other than economy crisis?

By that time the replacement T7s have already arrived; 9M-MAV is no longer existent today.

With MH taking their 2 brand new 744F in March and May, why dont they convert the two 744 that thay have in desert to Freighter, which make it 744BCF :mellow: , may be new aircraft low cost?

MAS doesn't own the 744 Combi anymore. The 744 Combi was sold to Boeing a while back and now it is owned by Guggenheim Aviation, which is available for lease. At the time MAS was selling the Combis, the BCF conversion was not available back then.

Fairul, are you the one on skycrappercity forum as well with ID 9M-MRD...just curious

yerp..thats me :)

Haha man.......................I love ur comment :rolleyes:

Seth..what comment?

Seth..what comment?

Any comment you make...........especially the Kuching Airport(the new one..may be I have wrong person :lol: )

so 9M-MHL is out of the fleet.

I just received the MHL by Gemini Jets, the in-flight sale one. with combi door imprint. the best part is, it got spring on the back main gear. one thing i don't get it is it equiped with GE engine. i thought MAS use P&W for 747-4.

Azuddin

Gemini Jets has had MAS B747 9M-MHL for retail sales years before MAS GB decided to introduce it in its product line upon phasing out Schabak models. The least MAS GB could do was to have the registration updated with the ones it currently operates i.e. 9M-MP* series.

I understand that there is a slight difference in the priniting for the regular retail MHL against the MAS GB model. The original MAS B747-400 9M-MHL/M/N/O in the fleet had GE engines, but changed to PW with the 9M-MP* onwards.

Sign in to follow this