MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azman MN

ZRH A.Net Meet

Woohoo.. just came back from a fantastic day.

Pieter pm me last Nov. as there will be an A.Net meet today, with some "special tours" organized. Boy was I happy I joined in. This really shows what a spotter friendly airport this is.

So first things first - I went to the SR technich's parking lot to shoot my host for the day... as he arrives in ZRH, LX737 arr.8.50am.

Pieter is that you?

user posted image

nope, false alarm. Winter laa... still dark in the morning, cannot see properly... but the sun seems to be coming out... looks like its going to be a good day cool.gif

Ah.. here he is.. Pieter, where are you sitting laa...

user posted image

user posted image

So I went to the terminal, met with Pieter and went straight to the spectators terrace on Dock B.

Then Pieter whipped out his enhanced equipment.. bigger and longer than his old one... tongue.gif

user posted image

The Dock B terrace is quite good for spotting as you get quite close to some of the gates... but it is cold!

You get to see some rnwy16 departures:

user posted image

and rnwy 28 departures too:

user posted image

Planes come quite close as they park at their gates:

user posted image

Edelweiss A330:

user posted image

At 11am, all the A.Net people (I think about 40 people from all over Europe and even a few americans) gathered and got onto a specially arranged bus that took us to Dock E. Passengers usually take an underground shuttle train to Dock E. But we got to drive around in this bus, through a tunnel that goes under rnwy28. There is also a viewing deck there, but it is only open in the summer. Today, the nice folks at ZRH opened it just for us!

View from Dock E - control tower is far in the background, and behind it is dock B. Check out the solar panels on the roof.

user posted image

While you can only see a bit of rnwy28 from dock B, from dock E, you can see the whole of runway 16 and 28. So there is quite a lot of movement to see.

user posted image

We were also given a tourguide who was very knowledgeable. He told us that 43% of ZRH passengers use public transportation to get to/from airport... there are something like 290 trains a day passing through the rail station at ZRH. He was also obviously a boeing lover... "airbuses are slower than boeing.. that's why airbus usually needs to check if there was a birdstrike from behind" tongue.gif

After an hour on Dock E, we got back into the bus and drove around a bit. It was quite interesting to see that there is something like a forest between rnwy14 and 16. We drove quite close to all the aircrafts so it was really blink.gif . Then we stopped at a spectators spot at the rnwy 16/28 crossing. Here you get very close to the action!

user posted image

Forgot your scanner? They provide those speakers in the middle of the picture, tuned into the tower!

user posted image

The runway is probably less than 100 metres away. So as a heavy rotates in front of us, the following wind can really knock you down. This is a 70mm shot. No cropping! blink.gif

user posted image

Usually this spot is only open in the summer (in winter it is sundays only), and usually, the bus will allow you to be there for only 10 minutes to catch one heavy departing. But today, we were there for almost one hour! (Most of us would stay there the whole day if they would let us!)

Coming up next - behind the scenes at the airport - bagage distribution system, plus a walk around an A340 !! Stay tuned!!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Waaa.... nose shot at 70mm ohmy.gif

When is this going to happen in KLIA mad.gif tongue.gif sad.gif

Azman,

Very nice shots.... especially Pieter's IndiaXray... you caught the strobe biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing... I'm sure more will come.. smile.gif

Pieter.... cute bazooka there laugh.gif ... waiting for your ZRH's catch wink.gif

Can't wait for the pix of baggage distribution system, I never see what happen to the baggage after check in dry.gif , may be if one of fellow MW can make a visit to KLIA and make a trip down there, and of course write a trip report here after that biggrin.gif

Azman and Pieter in ZRH...best nye..

weather was a lot better now, nice one from ZRH.

need to request ZRH for Kicap and Milo delivery soon!!!!

one good thing i cant have in klia is a clear view of the pilots in the cockpit. those are really good crystal clear picture u have there. standing almost next to runway......it is a NO NO in KLIA.... mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

azman,pieter....please upload more. wonder if u have a clearest nose shot. i would be happy to see the pilots......

After all that bussing around and lunch, we started the airport tour in the afternoon. We were split into 2 groups, luckily Pieter tarik me into the smaller group so we have more freedom to take pictures...

First... walk past all the airline counters, including Pieter's favourite airline (sorrylah, a bit blur because I did not want to flash the ladies) tongue.gif .

user posted image

This is inside the main departure hall.. airy, spacious, gives a calm feeling, much like KLIA...

user posted image

Anyone with kids can use the nursery. Those little aeroplanes look tempting!

user posted image

And then we went into the restricted area... and what's this... a 340 crew bunk?

user posted image

Yes, but it is one of the portable ones... just put it into the cargo hold if you need it!

user posted image

More coming!

Guys, wait ahh... I will post more aircraft pics once I finished this mini trip report of ZRH "behind the scenes"...

So, we went down down into the baggage sorting area. Under the main terminal, it starts with the conveyor belt, and sorting them into trays (taken at ISO 1600)

user posted image

Then when it has been decided which dock the bags must go to, the tray will flip and the bag will fall into the specific tray for the specific dock. (ISO 800)

user posted image

Then, like a rollercoaster, the bags are sent at high speed.. no more conveyor belts, but a magnetic system... kinda like Maglev I suppose. The blue boxes on the tracks are magnets. Each bag is in one tray and it shoots away at 36km/h...(ISO 800)

user posted image

This is the tunnel to Dock E... 800 meters long, and by the end of it, the bags will be travelling at 70km/h.... blink.gif . The right side, bags are going to Dock E for departures, and left side, bags are going back to the terminal for arrivals. In the caged area, is the high speed maglev thing. I suppose if that breaks down, they can use the backup conveyor belt on the bottom. I think in KLIA they use only the slow conveyor belt (so called world's longest), plus no cage so anyone can steal your stuff mad.gif (ISO 400)

user posted image

Finally the bags slow down and go back onto conveyor belts and are dumped at the appropriate gate. There a person will load the bags onto the trolleys to be pulled to the aircraft. The bar codes will also bring out a red signal on the screen if you try to load the wrong bags or before the plane is ready.... interesting... . The machines and the workers are quite rough with our bags. I quote our tourguide, "now you see that you should not buy expensive luggage, but at the same time, remember that the luggage handler carries an average of 13,000kgs of luggage in an average shift". Holy crap... no wonder they don't bother being gentle.... This tiny ah-moi is also helping out.. (ISO 800)

user posted image

thats under ZRH ground.... blink.gif

as long as my bag sampai (arrive) ok laaaa.... biggrin.gif

you go kitchen or not... mellow.gif

Ah.. here he is.. Pieter, where are you sitting laa...

user posted image

Sitting on seat 15F, so about the 10th window from the REAR...love the white wingtip-strobe light  ohmy.gif

user posted image

do you see me waving ?  laugh.gif

Home flight was on another A319 (great aircraft to fly in, btw) HB-IPR and seat 3A

for your information:

airtime AMS-ZRH 1 hour 1 minute.

and for ZRH-AMS 1 hour 10 minutes.

Denny,

this was a SPECIAL organized tour by Swissport; normally, not possible...the Unique Airport bus-tours normally operate a different schedule and time, so even that bus-tour (to the photo-spot) was a special arranged one...you can check a full report of yesterday by different spotters on the following link:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/gener...d.main/2562827/

oh gosh!! u guys went everywhere...inside, outside, upper floor and underground.......

thanx for the ahmoi pictures especially the one in the underground..... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Guys,

Here's another link, which very well represents the fabulous event, both Azman and myself joined in ZRH on 21jan06...enjoy !!!:

http://www.orselina.net/gallery/anetzhr0106

On which pictures do you recognize me, guys ??? laugh.gif

When we came out of the baggage sorting area, we saw right in front of us... HB-JMB... Swiss A340-313x.... blink.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Look at the wheel dimensions... 1400/530R23 blink.gif My car uses 225/45R17. So I guess there is a difference...

user posted image

Of course, then we went in. The aircraft was all cleaned up and ready for A.nutters to mess up.

Main Economy cabin. Yeah... a bit dull...

user posted image

The smaller economy cabin in front of the main one. If you ever fly Swiss in Economy, ask for seats in rows 20 something which are in this cabin. Usually some are reserved for elite members but if you ask you might get it.

user posted image

And of course, where would I find Pieter... in 1st class!

user posted image

Yeap, 2A. You can see the legroom and the Ottoman which can be electronically moved toward you. Same as the new MH I suppose. But I have to say, these are the same seats as in the retired MD-11s, but in MD-11, the cabin was bigger!

After that, I was spent! Slowly we made our way back to the main terminal... said goodbye... slowly made my way back home. Pieter, thank you very very much for taking me along!!!

Ok, back to spotting pics - you guys wanna see pilots flying the plane?

Here are some, plus some Azahan style pics:

this one @300mm

user posted image

this one @210mm

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Pieter, thank you very very much for taking me along!!!

No problem, bro, I knew you would love it...

and.............both we did: it was great fun to go to these off-limit spots and even see the A340 (HB-JMB) before her departure wink.gif Really love your wide-angle shots of her !!!

ofcourse, I had to try the First Class seat tongue.gif (no possibility at KLM anymore mad.gif )

Hi Pieter, so where are your pics?

Can't wait to see them!

TK, Walter,

No this time we did not go to the catering thing... would be an idea for next time. But I know the answer already... taraakk kicap over there laa...

Sign in to follow this