MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Juergen Witte

Transfer between terminals at BKI ...

On behalf of a friend i need to know if it is possible to transfer at BKI (Kota Kinabalu) with a scheduled timeframe of 1 hr 15 mins !

He will arrive from BWN on BI and continues to KUL on AK.

Unfortunately AK had rescheduled their flight (now earlier than before) to KUL so now there´s only 1h15mins left for the transfer.

Of course i will advise him to try rebook onto a later flight to KUL (should be free of charge due to AK´s rescheduling ...) but the question is whether it is doable by using a taxi between terminals and calculating that BI will arrive on time ...

How much time is needed to change terminals by taxi btw. ???

Regards, Juergen

Taxi would take 15-25 mins at the most IMHO, depending the traffic, so should be OK, right BKI guys ? ;)

The 1:15 time frame is scheduled 'touch down to take off' ?

In which case, I think it's realistically not feasible

Normally it will take like half hour or so (very fast already) for plane to park, disembark, immigration, customs etc

Then you make your way to taxi rank, get ticket etc

Then taxi ride to T2

By which time check in counter will already have closed !

Sorry, not being very encouraging here :)

...... and the constant 'bottle neck' at the traffic lights when exiting Jln Petagas* turning into Jln Tg Aru* due to the construction of the flyover.

(*I prefer to call these roads by these names)

On behalf of a friend i need to know if it is possible to transfer at BKI (Kota Kinabalu) with a scheduled timeframe of 1 hr 15 mins !

He will arrive from BWN on BI and continues to KUL on AK.

Unfortunately AK had rescheduled their flight (now earlier than before) to KUL so now there´s only 1h15mins left for the transfer.

Of course i will advise him to try rebook onto a later flight to KUL (should be free of charge due to AK´s rescheduling ...) but the question is whether it is doable by using a taxi between terminals and calculating that BI will arrive on time ...

How much time is needed to change terminals by taxi btw. ???

Regards, Juergen

Don't forget AirAsia's check in counter closes 45 mins before departure time,

try to communicate with AirAsia about swapping to ltr flt, much more safer, No Show Means Burn! :rolleyes:

Ok, here´s somme more details ...

He will travel with hand luggage only and have done online check-in on Air Asia´s webside already !

Arrival time is: 17.45 (on block)

Departure time is: 19.00 (off block)

Regarding the taxi ride: I wonder if 30 mins is really neccessary just to get to the other side of the airport (even at KLIA it´s just 15 mins by bus ... )

Traffic is kinda peak during that moment, due to after work. But i guess your friend is able to make it, just need to bare awhile on jalan kepayan till the roundabout after the police station. After that, traffic condition would be smooth.

Edited by Desmond C

Ok, here´s somme more details ...

He will travel with hand luggage only and have done online check-in on Air Asia´s webside already !

Arrival time is: 17.45 (on block)

Departure time is: 19.00 (off block)

Regarding the taxi ride: I wonder if 30 mins is really neccessary just to get to the other side of the airport (even at KLIA it´s just 15 mins by bus ... )

If it was me, I will opt for a later AK flight. This kind of schedule does not give any allowance for flight delay at all. So if his flight lands late, he will 100% miss the connection. Opting for a later AK flight means less stress!

Alternatively, your friend might consider checking in for his/her AK flight online but still it's going to be a stressful day for him/her as we do not know what might happen that day like the BI flight delayed. It's better to just change to a later flight, just in case.

if AK reschadule it, can try call them for a change to later flight to avoid from any problem. but since u mentioned ur friend done the online check in already, so now only can do is try to get out from the terminal by as soon as possoble.

if AK reschadule it, can try call them for a change to later flight to avoid from any problem. but since u mentioned ur friend done the online check in already, so now only can do is try to get out from the terminal by as soon as possoble.

but since u mentioned ur friend done the online check in already, so now only can do is try to get out from the terminal by as soon as possoble.

Opps ! Totally missed his reply at #6 :pardon:

Ok here comes in the point...

Of course it´ll be no big deal to change to another - later - flight (AK or even MH)

But the reasons for wanting this particular flight are:

1) If he changes to the later AK-flight he´ll have a "tight" connection (exactly 2hrs) at KUL as he continues on MS to Cairo/Frankfurt at 0.30hrs.

2) Next to this he wants to experience AK as he has never flown with AK before.

MH flies just a little bit later than AK (MH dep: 19.15 versus AK dep: 19.00 ) but he wants the "Air Asia - experience" despite the significant higher convenience of no need to change terminals and a greater time margin ...

how about all the way with AK from BWN? BWN-BKI-KUL. :pardon: or by the time he/she made the booking, AK haven't start BWN-BKI?

Apart from traffic, here are some other factors to consider:

- BI's on-time reliability (one of the worst in the region, even it's own bosses agree)

- Immigration: Depends on queue & people-in-charge (they'll just take their own sweet time), non-Sabahan passports will take longer time to process.

- Baggage claim, usual waiting time is at least 30mins, after clearing immigration.

You can do OLCI for AK flights

On a lighter note, can ask the pilot to disembark just your friend @ T2 :p

(I've seen royalties do that)

I believe BWN-KUL flights are sort of mid afternoon, would that fit into your friend's itinerary ?

Would also mean he arrives in KUL earlier, thus allowing more comfortable connection time for his MS flight

The whole itinerary for that particular day is as follows ... :

DAC-KUL 0240-0730 MH

KUL-BWN 1155-1415 MH

BWN-BKI 1705-1745 BI

BKI-KUL 1900-2125 AK

KUL-CAI-CDG 0030-1355 MS

CDG-SXB 1655-1800 AF

So, not really much to comment ... !

He just wants to squeeze in BI and AK before flying home.

It´s quite a "risky" schedule !

Even though i´ve done similar routings i´d rather not do it again ... (learned my lessons)

It´s his own decision in the end !!!

So, finally it´s all about whether the mentioned change at BKI is doable or "guaranteed failure".

So, my friend has decided ...

He will try to catch the AK flight but is going to book a seat on the 19.15 MH-flight as a back-up ...

I think this will work !

So, my friend has decided ...

He will try to catch the AK flight but is going to book a seat on the 19.15 MH-flight as a back-up ...

I think this will work !

Wise decision

:drinks:

Sign in to follow this