MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Denny Yen

Tokyo NRT

These were taken yesterday at Tokyo Narita T2 southern deck.

Very clean KA heading taxiing towards Rwy34R.

user posted image

Link between main T2 building with satelite extension. Delta has a nice tail livery, hardly seen in SE Asia. Tall building is not control tower which is located in T1 (unique shape...round structure flanked by 2 arms). Didn't notice this structure previously, (probably) used for controlling traffic on this side of the apron.

user posted image

Guy on the left: How much for fuel...do you accept VISA card, ah?

user posted image

UA772...nice rego N787UA (I wonder if there's a N777UA)

user posted image

Although new year's day was bitterly wet & cold, Japan had a unusually warmer December month. Hence, the leaves on the trees still display mid-autumn colors.

user posted image

Spot the spotters...guy on ladder uses Canon L series lens (white). Must find out how these guys could drive their cars into the private road next to Rwy 34R holding point.

user posted image

UA772...nice rego N787UA (I wonder if there's a N777UA)

user posted image

Nice pictures, Denny, Narita is still high on my wish-list wink.gif

N777UA does exist and is, actually, a regular at AMS ...

Hi Denny,

nice pics, different kind of action. That refueling truck looks very complicated. Where that UA is landing, is that the main runway or the shorter runway?

Btw, is that a dust spot on your camera? top right hand side... . I got a dust spot too.. not so visible, but just can't get rid of it! mad.gif

Remember the spot. Pretty good location for photographing, but you can only shot from the "Opening" provided as it has fence all around. Heavy traffic movement mainly for Asian airlines.

Rwy 34R/16L is the shorter one. Rwy 34L/16R is the one with Marriott Hotel near the threshold.

General view of Rwy 34R threshold and holding point.

user posted image

user posted image

The winter skies colors during dusk plus high winds can form a beautiful backdrop.

user posted image

This one connects NRT with outlying smaller islands.

user posted image

Looking up inside 747's tail-cone. JAL's new maintenance crew uniform white overalls with deep-blue sleeves. Why "black sleeves"? The part that gets dirty quickly is this part, hence, a dark color will not make it so obvious.

user posted image

Refueling services truck...the fuel tanks are built underneath the apron. This truck is merely serves as a platfom for the pumping machinery.

user posted image

JAL's livery really shines in sunset glow.

user posted image

All gates of T2 main building are fully occupied...lots of activity probably because most flights from N.America usually arrive at this hour.

user posted image

Another JAL arrival

user posted image

Another part of T2 main building.

user posted image

Air NZ arrival

user posted image

PeterMax at NRT

user posted image

Denny,

Very nice pictures; finally, another part of the world is shown and shared with us: thank you !!!

Eric M. will be delighted to see these "promotional" shots of his employer laugh.gif

Nice selection Denny...

To all, The short runway at Narita..

Biggest plane to use..A340. Never seen a Jumbo using it.

It is a short runway.

Narita...a busy airport, with the short runway completed not long ago, more smaller aircraft can be seen at NRT like the 737,CRJs and Fokker 50s.

More slots for take off and landing available.

Even for MH 777 operation to NRT, we have a timetable for which runway to be use. We have 2 flights per day, so they divide which flight number will use which runway and it is a control planning made by the NRT airport authorithy.So every 6 months, we will received it from NRT AA.

Few limitation on the short runway...Field length limited and weight has to be reduce. We still can go with FULL pax on the 777..but no Cargo la...just their luggage.

But landing after a 7 hours flight from KUL...seeing a short runway ahead...it pumps a lot of adrenalin to us Pilots!!!

Thanks Denny for the nice photos. Lots of JAL and ANA.

No special livery for the above at the airport while you were there ?

For Azman, those dust spots on DSLR are really a nuisance. Mine got a few and was unable to get ride of them by using a manual blower. Just got to live with it as they show up only on high F No. against some uniform background. mad.gif

TK, thanks for the explaination and I didn't a shorter runway will wake you up that much. tongue.gif

Many thanks for the wonderful pics, Denny. Just curious, how did you manage to get so close and all over the airport?

Pieter:

I will going back to Japan again around spring at the end of April. If you have spring holidays around that time, let me know. We can also arrange for spotting here.

Chaity:

No special livery at T2 except for PeterMax one. Although T2 has a new extension, I prefer using T1 because it's newer, more shops, easier to move around and more variety in terms of foreign arrivals. Also T1's viewing deck is longer, you can see almost whole length of rwy. But avoid afternoon because sun shines directly into lens at T1.

Yeah the dark spot is similar to oily residue. Will try using cleaning fluid. As for blower, the shops use aerosol-can spray (some kind of clear gas, very hi-pressure and easy to use).

Attan:

Using zoom 70-300. Most of the later shots from onboard taxiing CI 110 NRT-TPE.

TK:

Thanks for more details. BTW, new Kobe Airport already completed, some tests were conducted last week. They are building a new airport for Sapporo (most north island) to replace Shin-Chitose, the new one is also on artificial island.

It is probably for MH to use Rwy 34R because its nearer to T2. To taxi to Rwy 34L takes ages, circling T2 to the other side...I lost my sense of direction while onboard CI's 744 even though I have Aiport Diagram with me.

Pieter:

I will going back to Japan again around spring at the end of April.  If you have spring holidays around that time, let me know.  We can also arrange for spotting here.

Chaity:

No special livery at T2 except for PeterMax one.  Although T2 has a new extension, I prefer using T1 because it's newer, more shops, easier to move around and more variety in terms of foreign arrivals.  Also T1's viewing deck is longer, you can see almost whole length of rwy.  But avoid afternoon because sun shines directly into lens at T1.

Yeah the dark spot is similar to oily residue.  Will try using cleaning fluid.  As for blower, the shops use aerosol-can spray (some kind of clear gas, very hi-pressure and easy to use).

Attan:

Using zoom 70-300.  Most of the later shots from onboard taxiing CI 110 NRT-TPE. 

TK:

Thanks for more details.  BTW, new Kobe Airport already completed, some tests were conducted last week.  They are building a new airport for Sapporo (most north island) to replace Shin-Chitose, the new one is also on artificial island. 

It is probably for MH to use Rwy 34R because its nearer to T2.  To taxi to Rwy 34L takes ages, circling T2 to the other side...I lost my sense of direction while onboard CI's 744 even though I have Aiport Diagram with me.

23657[/snapback]

I always thought CI flew into HND. Didn't know they fly into NRT.

The present Chitose was opened like 9-10 years ago right ? Building another newer one ?

Pieter:

I will going back to Japan again around spring at the end of April.  If you have spring holidays around that time, let me know.  We can also arrange for spotting here.

Arigato Denny: keep that in mind: will PM you if it materializes wink.gif

I always thought CI flew into HND. Didn't know they fly into NRT.

The present Chitose was opened like 9-10 years ago right ? Building another newer one ?

Shin Chitose (New Chitose) is relatively new, it looks like a half-eaten doughnut from the air. Land shortage and increasing JASDF (Japan Air Self Defence Force) activities meant that most civillian airports are being given back to military or given back to developers for other uses.

Before Chitose, Sapporo already had an existing airport called Okadama.

Komaki/Nagoya is another example, when they closed the civilian ops and move it to Chubu.

Kitakusyu new airport is also being built on an artificial island.

CI flies to HND up to 2002 (I think) and can be very confusing for Japanese (they can't distinguish between Air China, China Airlines, flights to Taipei but not CI, etc)...as a result, there had been occassions when non-Japanese speaking Taiwanese visitors were put on wrong airport bus by hotel staff.

Now, its so simple...all international flights (except heads of gov't such as Air Force One) fly into NRT. HND is purely domestic civillian airline services, cargo, air charter, Tokyo Air police, etc.

After this Asiana 772 was pushed back, it didn't move at all. Several ground crew ran out to look at nose-gear compartment. Then red-jacket guy came out later. The Asiana moved after the all clear was given.

user posted image

There is a complicated "V" turn before getting into Rwy 34R's threshold. The same Asiana was moving very cautiously just before the V turn.

user posted image

Looks like 2 a/c taking off from 2 parallel rwy. But the Asiana slowed down for the V turn.

user posted image

Japanese worker's efficiency...they waited at the gate for several minutes even before the arrival of a/c. Baggage unloading is very fast and efficient. For me, it took a total of 26mins starting from disembarking, then, walk towards the passport control, a 25meter-long queue here, clear the control, wait & collect my bags at conveyor and clearing customs.

user posted image

"Piano keys" reflected in lower tail end of the Asiana.

user posted image

Best spotting location...I bet they can feel the jet blast/smell jet exhaust from here.

user posted image

I missed japan so much, feel like second home to me..wonder when I gonna be back

Marry Japanese ah-moi...can go to Japan every 3 or 4 months. Also, very good skin, beautiful too...especially those from Akita-ken...Akita Bi-jin wub.gif (translation for non Japanese-seaking MWingers: Jin is not the Malay Jin, but Jin in Japanese means person...so Akita Bi-jin = Akita Beauty).

Edited by Denny Yen

Best spotting location...I bet they can feel the jet blast/smell jet exhaust from here.

user posted image

23713[/snapback]

They even installed cameras there (on that concrete pole); heard, there are even plenty of women spotting and photographing aircraft, can you confirm this ???

They even installed cameras there (on that concrete pole); heard, there are even plenty of women spotting and photographing aircraft, can you confirm this ???

That camera is for collecting video images for investigators in case of air accidents or rwy incidents. Along airport perimeter, there is a double-layer fence...those also have CCTVs too, but it points downwards for watching people.

Women spotters yes...some are aviation fans, others use their cellphone cameras. Japanese of all ages love cameras, even grannies/retirees use expensive ones such as 20D, D70 for shooting flowers, macro shots.

After this Asiana 772 was pushed back, it didn't move at all.  Several ground crew ran out to look at nose-gear compartment.  Then red-jacket guy came out later.  The Asiana moved after the all clear was given.

user posted image

23713[/snapback]

Eye optical illusion? Howcome i saw some twinkle twinkle little stars on the cross part there? (fence) blink.gif blink.gif

Edited by Min Chun

denny,

a very good one. busy narita. when land area is limited we see lots of activities. i enjoyed all your pictures so far. never knew dragon does narita as well. i thought it was only meant for big sister cx.very cheers to you bro!

Marry Japanese ah-moi...can go to Japan every  3 or 4 months.  Also, very good skin, beautiful too...especially those from Akita-ken...Akita Bi-jin wub.gif (translation for non Japanese-seaking MWingers:  Jin is not the Malay Jin, but Jin in Japanese means person...so Akita Bi-jin = Akita Beauty).

23717[/snapback]

I prefer more okinawan wink.gif haha just kidding..no way I gonna marry japanese bi-jin my wife gonna kill me!...I live in gifu-ken for 4 years then nagoya about 2 years before going back to malaysia for good..

got 1 pic on new Centrairuser posted image

Edited by Saiful Bahari

Sign in to follow this