Boeing 747-400

Total

Passengers

TBD

Notes

Long Haul

(Jakarta-Jeddah)

Stored at VCV

Perhaps the retiring SQ 744s which was stored at VCV (Victorville) will be acquired by Lion Air? Any confirmation about it?

Quoted from Liam in SZB topic:

Earlier in the week, the former Oasis 744 B-LFB (now with temp reg N465BB) was believed to have positioned VCV-HNL-KUL for preparation for delivery to Lion Air.
Edited by MIR

Wow, this Jakarta - Jeddah route going to see some significant growth

Even Layang Layang Aerospace is apparently getting into the act too !

Captain Nik ? ;)

Lion Air not a LCC, right?

Lion Air is a Hybrid Carrier,from what i've checked on Wikipedia yesterday.

Thanks for the info,Mir.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Is this a scheduled flight, or chartered?

It is scheduled if i'm not mistaken. I read about it on A.net not so long ago.

It is a LCC, but not exactly a true LCC. It's like something in the middle of no-frills carrier and full service carrier. So the conclusion is it is neither the equivalent of MAS nor Air Asia.

By the way, Megawati Sukarno Putri owned this airline.

Lion Air is a Hybrid Carrier,from what i've checked on Wikipedia yesterday.

Thanks for the info,Mir.

Wiki isn't the best source of info but this works I guess. No one really knows what Lion is because even the owners themselves are not sure. They surely started off as an LCC but next thing you know Business Class popped up. I mean why not since the MD80s they got came with CO's domestic First Class seats already installed. They also operate the Samba Lounge - Samba as in the character from Lion King. I wonder if they have rights from Disney to market this character?

Trying to get a quick check about the airline through their webbie isn't easy because it is frequently not working.

By the way, Megawati Sukarno Putri owned this airline.

Really? This is news to me...

Maybe like D7. They have 2 class config and the XL isn't really cheap. It's just an intriguing thought to see a LCC uses the B747.

Wiki isn't the best source of info but this works I guess. No one really knows what Lion is because even the owners themselves are not sure. They surely started off as an LCC but next thing you know Business Class popped up. I mean why not since the MD80s they got came with CO's domestic First Class seats already installed. They also operate the Samba Lounge - Samba as in the character from Lion King. I wonder if they have rights from Disney to market this character?

Speaking of the S80, any of you guys remember when Lion Air first receive their MD80 there were these advertisements all over travel magazines as well as STAR newspaper that they are offering a tiny PTV in all seat in EY ? And they were going to fly this S80 between KUL/CGK and KUL/MES.

And any of you have travelled on their YAK-40D ? If my memory serves me correctly, they first started operation with the Russian plane, flying mainly between MES and PEN. PEN was so popular with rich Indonesian Chinese back then and i remember Lion Air had about 4x daily flights between PEN & MES operated using their Russian made YAK-40D (Yakolev) in 2000.

Really? This is news to me...

Yeah. As told by my Indonesian born Arabian friend.

Lion Mentari Airlines plans to operate twice-weekly on the Jakarta - Kuala Lumpur - Jeddah route using its B747-400. It is currently operating Jakarta - Jeddah five times weekly and will add two additional weekly services via KUL.

Hope the schedule is favourable for photography ... very jealously eyeing these.

KC Sim

Good news for KUL. Another new Jumbo for spotters.

Is this still in the planning stage KC?

Lion Mentari Airlines plans to operate twice-weekly on the Jakarta - Kuala Lumpur - Jeddah route using its B747-400. It is currently operating Jakarta - Jeddah five times weekly and will add two additional weekly services via KUL.

Hope the schedule is favourable for photography ... very jealously eyeing these.

KC Sim

Hi, where was this article taken from?

Great to hear that they've chosen KUL as a stopover point.

Article by TTG-Asia, a travel industry publication.

KC Sim

Indonesian airlines to invoke Freedoms of the Air rights

Jakarta (2010-02-19)

TWO Indonesian airlines are preparing to utilise their fifth freedom rights as part of their route expansion to Europe and the Middle East.

Director of air transportation Tri Sunoko was quoted by local media as saying Garuda Indonesia was planning to utilise the right to carry passengers and cargo between Dubai and Amsterdam on its Jakarta-Dubai-Amsterdam daily flight, which will be launched on June 1.

Lion Air also plans to service passengers transiting in Kuala Lumpur on its Jakarta-Jeddah flights. The airline now has five direct services a week between Jakarta and Jeddah and is planning to add two more via Kuala Lumpur.

Fifth freedom rights allow an airline to carry revenue traffic between foreign countries as a part of services connecting the airline's own country.

Sign in to follow this