MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Meor

KKIA Nov 2004

Hi guys just wanna share some old picture. Anybody knows the story feel free to contribute and share with us. Hopefully this incident will never happened again..thanks

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Looks like it skidded off the rwy after landing and the nosewheel sunk into the soft grass. Which airport?

20944[/snapback]

Airport Kota Kinabalu. If i not mistaken, that day really heavy rain.

9M-AAP Incident in KKIA was due to Pilot-error.

The captain was an Indonesian Captain, just transferred across to AXM and was on his check flight. Engine 1 thrust reverser was INOP and appropriately labelled in the flight-deck.. The pilot was instructed NOT TO USE THRUST REVERSERS!! Instead, autobrake setting is sufficient for aircraft - a higher setting to be used given KKIA runway length and weather.. Spoilers still operative! Upon landing in somewhat severe weather conditions in KKIA, the pilot engaged thrust reversers resulting in the aircraft to yaw on the runway due differential power setting. Aircraft aquaplanned due to runway conditions - drainage at KKIA is not the best from my understanding. Aircraft came to a rest in the soft grass besdes the runway becoming bogged. Boeing AOG team repaired aircraft, as some structural damage was incurred to the fuselage. Beautiful rivet plate on port side, forward of wing as a result of the incident. Aircraft FYI, is non-EFIS type.

From my understanding, the sequence of events was as follows:

MH A330 landed ahead of AK 737 (AAP) and reported to tower that they were experiencing tailwinds and windshear at low level. Tower gave the option to AAP to circle and come in from alternate direction. AAP pilots decided to go ahead with present approach. Aircraft experienced wind-shear but landed successfully. Force of habit of pilot to engage thrust reversers resulted in incident.

Pilot no longer employed at AXM.

Sandeep, as soon as I saw the first pics, I knew there would have to be the full story from your keyboard. Hope you enjoyed your tennis match, mate! tongue.gif

Aircraft FYI, is non-EFIS type
There aint many left without EFIS in mainline AXM fleet, as they were the ones boosted off the AIQ and AWQ.

Meor, thanks for sharing wit us... is that those pix take by u? and u take those pix from where? is that Jln Selangor?

Meor, thanks for sharing wit us... is that those pix take by u? and u take those pix from where? is that Jln Selangor?

21036[/snapback]

I got this picture through email sometimes ago.

-cheers-

Something still bugs me about that incident. Passangers evacuated, but why is the speedbrake still up?

the plane nose down causes gravity to somewhat pull it down..

JK

pilot forget to undeploy or maybe the speedbrake lever is stuck.

JK also

I dont know why myselves..

.....pilot forget to undeploy or ......

21261[/snapback]

Evac checklist calls for speedbrake down. It is a memory item so no such thing as reading the checklist.

If the aircraft has shut down....it means it has lost hydraulic power...thus shouldnt all the control surfaces droop down?

Or..in the case of the speedbrake...drop down to its retracted position?

Is it locked in place or something?

Sorry if the question is a little stupid.... unsure.gif

If the aircraft has shut down....it means it has lost hydraulic power...thus shouldnt all the control surfaces droop down?

Or..in the case of the speedbrake...drop down to its retracted position?

21292[/snapback]

i am thinking about the same thing... probably with the loss of hydraulic and the position of the plane and the winds maybe.

Radzi,

You'll never know.

After all the Captain had ignored the fact that one of reversers is not working resulting in that MISHAP. It could be a possibility of not retracting the spoilers as well...

He was sacked, thank god.

so wat he gonna do?

Leave him alone, a person like him will never fly again..

a simple mistake that he made can't be forgiven...

thats not the way pilot act.

forgot to undeploy speed brakes for evac, ignored the fact that one of reversers is not working...... mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Hey guys,

Apparently after shutdown, engine 1 thrust reverser doors were jammed and thus left in the open position. The thrust reverser wasn't working anyway... As to why the Speedbrakes were still deployed, Radzi's guess is as good as mine..

For those of you not in the know, the B737 hydraulic system has two engine driven motors and two elecrical driven motors, System A, System B and then the back-up motor generator situated in the middle of the main wheel well.

The ground spoilers are controlled by System A, which is driven by engine 1... Only inflight spoilers are controlled by System A AND B... so in the event of this incident, it would appear that the electrical motor and engine motor for system A were rendered INOP resulting in the speedbrakes remaining deployed as indicated in Meors photographs...

just my 2 cents

ummm okay, that can be understood, but now out of curiosity, why must the speedbrakes be down during evac? how does it obstruct an evac? And whoa.. system a n b being inop? then why in the bloody hell are they allowing the budak nakal flying still?? What procedure calls for a plane to be grounded for repairs then? Thrust Reverse Inop, and unknowingly system a & B also inop???

Ignatius,

The Hydraulic A and B was inop due to the shutdown sequence... if engine got cutoff, and electrical system pun shut off, then hydraulic system will only work (a thus certain systems) if APU running.. I imagine in this case that the shutdown by the pilots was in the worry of a fire breaking out. But as Radzi has pointed out, the precise shutdown sequence has not been maintained in this incident.

It is crucial that the spoilers are down in evacuation because they MAY obstruct the evacuation from the over-wing emergency exits, betul-kah?!

For a plane to be grounded, it must be deemed unworthy according to the aircraft Minimum Equipment List (MEL)...In simple terms, this is the bible that deems whether a plane can fly or not... Certain systems such as thrust reverser are not critical to an aircraft operation... sure if not working, the MEL requires it do be fixed within a certain period of time.. different malfunctions carry different priorities... You must clarify first with the MEL.. Also, jangan lupa, the thrust reverser and spoiler is not critical to aircraft deceleration upon landing.. the most important is the autobrake setting.. If this not working, no pilot in their right mind would want to fly in the conditions this guy (AAP) was flying in... Autobrake setting is always used!!! Sometimes AK likes to rollout at KLIA and vacate at C or D i think and when they do this, then they may set autobrake to 1, and switch it off below usually 60 knots.. don't quote me on that, Radzi will know lots better..

Hope this helps you to understand a bit more, and realise that flying is not all stick and rudder.. but a s#1t-load of paperwork and procedures too!

Edited by Sandeep G

Oooo. like than i faham faham.. but then regarding speedbrakes as an obstruction towards a proper evac? I think from this AAP case, they all succesfully evacuated without even saying.. hey.. that blardy speedbrake kacau kacau only hehe... !!?? Because as far as i know, the speedbrakes are not so close to the evac doors bah.. maybe they takut got people got stuck between the gaps of the holes when it is deployed?? maybe thats why procedure calls for it to be retracted hoh.. I am just curious with storms up my head thats all.. cheers mate, thanks alot for the Sys A & B thingy...

B737 evac procedure for captain calls for:

1. Set parking brake

2. SPEEDBRAKE DOWN

3. Pull up engine fire handles (this to shut down the engines)

4. Rotate engine fire handles (to discharge fire extinguisher)

5. Initiate Evacuation.

For deceleration after landing, spoilers are definitely very important as it kills the lift from the still moving wings therefore making the aircraft feels heavier on the surface. More downforce, as they say it in F1. Braking is impotant too, either by autobrake or manual braking.

To exit at the end of runway 32L in KUL, no autobrake is required, brake is used only at the later part of the landing roll.

Speedbrakes down during evacuation to leave no gaps on the wing surface, I guess. Note there is an emergency exit at the wings.

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

Sign in to follow this