MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

JAL 747's engine sucked in a luggage container

Luggage container is sucked into JAL jetliner's engine at LAX

From staff reports

Posted: 05/11/2009 05:02:21 PM PDT

A Japan Airlines jetliner bound for Tokyo was damaged Monday when a luggage container was sucked into one of the engines as the plane pushed back from a gate at Los Angeles International Airport.

No injuries were reported among the 247 passengers and 17 crew members aboard Flight 61, which was grounded after the 1:30 p.m. accident, according to Carol Anderson, a Japan Airlines spokeswoman.

Stranded passengers were taken back to the Tom Bradley International Terminal, where they made arrangements to take another Japan Airlines flight to Tokyo this afternoon, or booked on flights with other carriers, Anderson said.

The damaged Boeing 747-400 jetliner was towed to a remote hangar, where federal investigators examined damage to one of the engines on the left wing, said Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

"A baggage cart was passing by when the plane somehow ingested the baggage container into one of the engines," Gregor said.

Engine used to have bird-strike, but now there is container-strike too.Anyway,how are they going to remove the container without causing further damage to the jet engine? :p

Edited by Li Ren

i could imagine the BANG and the vibration in the aircraft...

Luckly the cart driver dint got suck into the engine.

If the cart driver was sucked into the jet engines,then it will be the LIVE version of 'Happy Three Friends' :p

if my memory serve me right, got a similar incident happen on past few years. anyone remember?

Just an idea : Is it possible to install a layer of high strength mesh at the engine (similar to the fly screen at home but with bigger openings) to prevent any similar inccident ? I believe it could prevent birdstrike as well

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Just an idea : Is it possible to install a layer of high strength mesh at the engine (similar to the fly screen at home but with bigger openings) to prevent any similar inccident ? I believe it could prevent birdstrike as well

too risky. what if the mesh gets ingested along with the bird after a strike ? :p

Sign in to follow this