MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Amir

traveling with the swine flu?

And i wondered why ? Because the KA operated flight is always full to the brim.

Bad times for traveling.

Bad times for traveling.

i dunno, the chances of getting it is like u getting a normal flu when u travel, and that isn't so common is it...........

Ouch, wrong info...turn out the total passengers for the flight is not 22. it's 107...

Source: Daily Express

Published on: Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dept: 20 fellow passengers on flight in touch

Kota Kinabalu: Health authorities have managed to get in touch with the 20 passengers on the same flight with a student who was later found positive to the influenza A (H1N1) last week.

Sabah Health Department Director, Dr Marzuki Mohd Isa, said the passengers, identified as having a higher risk of contracting the viral disease, have been advised to quarantine themselves at home.

"My staff have managed to trace them É but they have not developed or shown any symptom yet," he said, pointing out there were a total of 107 passengers on the Malaysia Airlines MH385 flight that touched down at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport, last Saturday.

"Actually we have managed to get in contact with more than 20 passengers from the flight (but) these 20 are our priority (as) they sat closer to the girl É the rest are still at risk but at a lesser extent."

He said all the passengers should be under home quarantine for seven days and have been advised to contact the Health Department immediately in case they developed symptoms.

Marzuki had earlier disclosed that, excluding the flight crew, the 20 passengers comprised three Malaysians (including the 15-year-old girl and her mother), Chinese nationals (10), American (1), Singaporean (1), British (4), Canadians (2) and Dutch (1).

Those on the flight, or people who have come in contact with any of the passengers, should seek health advice from the nearest hospital in their area.

The public can contact the State Health Department at 088-219455 for any information or assistance.

Ouch, wrong info...turn out the total passengers for the flight is not 22. it's 107...

Source: Daily Express

"My staff have managed to trace them É but they have not developed or shown any symptom yet," he said, pointing out there were a total of 107 passengers on the Malaysia Airlines MH385 flight that touched down at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport, last Saturday.

107 ? Not so bad after all :drinks:

Which means 85 pax (79%) were destined for KCH

Perhaps time to re-juggle services to allow for some HKG-KCH non-stop's ?

Which means 85 pax (79%) were destined for KCH

Perhaps time to re-juggle services to allow for some HKG-KCH non-stop's ?

No mention of the the other 85 passengers actually continued to KCH. However they did say ... see below. Apparently the 20 people mentioned earlier were those seated near to the girls.

"Actually we have managed to get in contact with more than 20 passengers from the flight (but) these 20 are our priority (as) they sat closer to the girl É the rest are still at risk but at a lesser extent."

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, the quoted figures are very ambiguous :pardon:

For eg, out of those 20 'targetted' pax, some could well have continued on to KCH

What is more worrying, they could have travelled to other places by now, having been in contact with other people, who in turn could have travelled to even more other places and ....... so on and so forth :huh:

Guys I was told by a local health clinic that it would take up to a few days before they can confirm if you have the flu or not. If that is the case then most likely you would have come into contact with other people like your family members, thus may have transmitted the virus to them. Can anyone confirm this?

I would imagine they need an electron microscope to actually identify the virus. There aren't that many in Malaysia, are they?

By the way, I wonder if airlines sanitize their planes.

Shouldn't you people be more concerned about diseases like dengue and such in Malaysia.. H1N1 is just way overrated by the media.

sanitize the plane...

ha ha ha...

dunno la Rozhan...

It is said that the virus can survive for several hours in the open. Imagine if some stray ones stay on arm rests, seat pockets etc, ready to 'jump' on the next pax for the next flight :blink: I think spraying 'Lysol' could help.

I recall how quiete Port Dickson hotels were during the Nipah virus outbreak. I hope this A H1N1 would not become as nasty as Nipah or SARS, although some have died attributed to it.

Shouldn't you people be more concerned about diseases like dengue and such in Malaysia.. H1N1 is just way overrated by the media.

I am starting to have the feeling as well after reading the letter posted on STAR Newspaper the day before yesterday. My cousin, whom just came back from LAX also said that no one is wearing mask there nor there was any big reporting on H1N1 case.

Understand case mortality rate for H1N1 is less than 1%, lower than dengue hemorrhagic fever. Believe all the hype will die down in a few weeks/months time.

:drinks:

Understand case mortality rate for H1N1 is less than 1%, lower than dengue hemorrhagic fever. Believe all the hype will die down in a few weeks/months time.

That's right. If you don't have any significant health problem, most people will only get mild symptoms with H1N1 or no symptoms at all. If you look at the people who died from H1N1, these are people with multiple health problems, cancers, poor immune system, bad lung and etc. In these people even a "common flu" can kill them.

In Malaysia, some people are so hysterical about H1N1...and the government is not helping either, they are creating more fear instead of giving the right information.

In Malaysia, some people are so hysterical about H1N1...and the government is not helping either, they are creating more fear instead of giving the right information.

Typical local politicians, over reacting and don’t understand and ignoring the facts :finger: :angry:

Heard that the Chinese government has started imposing fine to people infected with H1N1 that defies order to quarantine.

• Like 1

WHO warns swine flu 'unstoppable'

The UN's top health official has opened a forum in Mexico on combating swine flu by saying that the spread of the virus worldwide is now unstoppable.

World Health Organization head Margaret Chan added that the holding of the meeting in Cancun showed confidence in Mexico, which has been hard hit.

The WHO says most H1N1 cases are mild, with many people recovering unaided.

As the summit opened, the UK alone was projecting more than 100,000 new cases of H1N1 a day by the end of the summer.

As the peak of the flu season approaches in South America, some areas have declared a public health emergency and Paraguay has reported its first death.

'Mild symptoms'

"As we see today, with well over 100 countries reporting cases, once a fully fit pandemic virus emerges, its further international spread is unstoppable," Dr Chan said in her opening remarks.

From the BBC, read in full here

apparently there is now this "wine flu" in Greece - wonder if it's alcoholism related ?! :lol:

Swine flu 'cannot be contained'

Andy Burnham: "We could see over 100,000 cases per day by the end of August"

The rising numbers of swine flu cases mean trying to contain the virus is no longer an option, the government says.

Ministers said the emergency response would now move to a new "treatment" phase across the UK as there may soon be 100,000 new cases a day.

It means anti-flu drugs will no longer be given to the close contacts of those infected nor will lab testing be done to confirm cases.

The move has been made to relieve the pressure on the health service.

The announcement, which comes into effect immediately, has long been expected.

It does not mean the pandemic virus is becoming more deadly, just that it can no longer be contained.

Again, from the BBC

Not the most cheerful pieces of news (not the worst either though)

Heard that the Chinese government has started imposing fine to people infected with H1N1 that defies order to quarantine.

What a bloody good idea. They should try doing the same thing here in Melbourne or Australia.

They have NOT done much to contain the problem, let alone issuing travel advisory to North America during the initial outbreak.

Nowadays the authority have given up on reporting Swine flu cases and you won't see much of news reporting new cases anymore.

I am starting to have the feeling as well after reading the letter posted on STAR Newspaper the day before yesterday. My cousin, whom just came back from LAX also said that no one is wearing mask there nor there was any big reporting on H1N1 case.

It was overrated down the line, but then again we are living in a world of tombstone mentality.

As long as the death rate isn't that high, it seems okay not to do much about it!

Edited by S V Choong

Was traveling to KUL and back last weekend and the response to flu is very, very low. Not a lot of people donning mask and there was also no personnel doing the temperature monitoring. Even immigration officers also not donning mask.

Sign in to follow this