MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Rush for AirAsia jobs at fair

2009/04/26

NST

Rush for AirAsia jobs at fair

By : R. Sittamparam

KUALA LUMPUR: It would seem that AirAsia Bhd is not only a hit with air travellers, but also a hot favourite among job seekers as well.

Within hours of the opening of its booth at the Ministry of Human Resources' job placement fair here yesterday, 103 youths had applied for 34 ramp agent jobs.

The youths were willing to run 500m and hoist 20kg of weights just to get an interview for a job which includes handling baggage and pushing aircraft.

Ramp manager S. Hamid Mohd Yusof, who handled the stream of enthusiastic youths, mostly in their early 20s, said AirAsia held the physical test to see how serious the applicants were.

"The job is tough and requires great commitment. For one who is serious, it can be a rewarding career with good prospects to move up the ranks in AirAsia."

Hamid said many youths were interested in joining AirAsia due to the glamour of its brand.

Mohd Hafiz Mohammad, 24, from Nilai in Negri Sembilan, who qualified for an interview, said he had no problem completing the running and weightlifting tests.

Another youth was seen trying to persuade Hamid to give him a chance to try out for the job although he did not have a Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia certificate, which is the minimum requirement.

V. Anbarasan and S. Vasu, both 26, were also unlucky as they did not have a Maybank ATM card which was another requirement for those wishing to be included in the interview.

Thousands flocked to the fair where a total of 8,530 jobs in Kuala Lumpur were on offer.

Among those seen busy filling up the registration forms was Mohd Faisal Masran, 26.

"I graduated from Universiti Utara Malaysia with a degree in Business Information Technology in January."

S. Rajindran, 46, who was retrenched from a tour and travel company four months ago, hoped to get a job as a driver.

The father of two said he had been searching unsuccessfully for work to support his family after being retrenched.

Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam, who opened the fair, said if Malaysians were not choosy, they would have no problem finding work.

"There are 20 employers and 14 training providers participating in today's fair.

"In Kuala Lumpur, at present, there are 6,392 jobs, including 2,000 for graduates, for which training will be provided.

"There are another 2,138 jobs, including 670 for graduates, available for direct intake."

In Alor Star, heavy rain which lasted about two hours did nothing to prevent some 4,000 job seekers from attending a mini-career exposition yesterday.

The one-day long exposition, held at SK Tuan Haji Ismail, was organised by the Kuala Kedah Umno division and state Labour Department.

A total of 22 companies were there to fill 2,000 vacancies.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sun...icle/index_html

V. Anbarasan and S. Vasu, both 26, were also unlucky as they did not have a Maybank ATM card which was another requirement for those wishing to be included in the interview.

How come they have such weird requirement ?? :pardon:

Maybe means they only pay you via direct bank-in to your Maybank account.

Do they know AirAsia don't pay as much as MAS? LOL

I would think AK happens to be hiring and not MH.

Maybe means they only pay you via direct bank-in to your Maybank account.

But they can still opened an account once they passed the interview.. :pardon:

Edited by Li Ren

Most probably Maybank is AK's bank that handle all business transaction for them. They need their staff to have a Maybank account so they can save on IBG GIRO.

But they can still opened an account once they passed the interview.. :pardon:

I think that they are also a low cost HR department. Chasing employees for their bank account to be opened is not a very smart or efficient task to perform. So even in recruitment, AirAsia is already applying its economy measures. Staff must be low cost to manage too!

surely not! a ramp agent can take home an engineer's pay if he's hardworking enough! :good: :good:

Are you sure ? Some engineers are bringing in a monthly paycheck of more than RM10,000.

Darn, if I know a ramp boy can get up to 10K, I should not have been doing the job I am doing now and lose hair every second! LOL

Darn, if I know a ramp boy can get up to 10K, I should not have been doing the job I am doing now and lose hair every second! LOL

You'll be surprised some jobs pay better but not necessarily require a degree or Permanent Head Damage. I think crane operator happens to be one of them.

Heh... welcome to the club... :drinks:

10k is exaggeration for sure :) the figure should be around 3-6 :good: :good:

Average 3-6 for SPM so darn good compared to 2 with a degree or diploma...

Some just got so lucky... natural selection? not of Darwin's though :rofl:

Do they know AirAsia don't pay as much as MAS? LOL

There are a lot of jobs where AK pays more than MH for the same position.

AK narrowbody captains take home more than their MH counterparts. For FO however I heard it is the opposite.

In my opinion, the rush towards any jobs offered by AirAsia is always expected. AirAsia has been marketing itself intensely since its inception post DRB Hicom days and I believe the general Malaysians will agree that it is a brand that one will be proud to be working with, mainly attributed by AirAsia's achievements. Who wouldn't want to be associated with one of the World's best company in their segment, even though the pay is not that impressive?

AirAsia is so popular among the younger generations because of their witty take of the company's image in mainstream media (their blog, Facebook page and most related to this topic, their Awan Dania soap opera tv show). I think Awan Dania has managed to create a good image of AirAsia as an employer, creating this image that the company is full of gorgeous people which have problems of their own, but all related to their works at AirAsia. AirAsia also managed to create a 'Malaysian' image rather than 'race specific' unlike some other employers; 'chic, fun and not boring' image unlike their government red-taped counterpart, among others, hence it no surprise at all of the large turnout at the job fair as the company is appeal to all.

While MH is not expanding at the moment (and I still believe that the company is still struggling with productivity issue, where it has too many employees in certain departments), they seem fail to create the same kind of excitements like AirAsia did among job seekers. I still remember MH is having this article written somewhere (I think it was in an issue of Going Places) where they featured some of their employees who are related to each other. I still remember there was a Malay admin lady with her security personnel husband, a Malay father and his daughter, and 2 Indian brothers from the ground handling/maintenance department with their uncle, of which the 3 of them always being mistaken as a triplet, being the highlight of the article. I think it was a very stupid article as it created an impression (at least to me) that MH is a company that hires based on recommendation of their own employees like some sort of cronyism, you know "You take my daughter/brother/husband/uncle lah for this position, no need to advertise or interview and such" kind of arrangement.

On a personal account, I had experience applying for jobs in both MH and AK, but none were successful - I didn't even being called for an interview session, probably because I am not the type that they are looking after. Not that I am complaining but it felt kind of how unfortunate of these companies for not being able to see me (at least) presenting my capabilities at the interview room (lol!).

The bottom line is, working life is different from school life. While the latter is all about who has the highest marks/CGPAs/grades etc, the former is all about who make the most money. While one could be among the budak bodoh at school, don't be surprised if he/she earns more than you years later. So good luck to these bunch of brave applicants who sweat and daring enough to run 500 meter while carrying the 20kg weight for a shot of getting sesuap nasi for their family, BRAVO! And I applaud AirAsia for the revolutionary interview session, it made MH looks so boring, like laughably boring you could even fall asleep. And nanti MH pun tirulah tu.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

I still remember MH is having this article written somewhere (I think it was in an issue of Going Places) where they featured some of their employees who are related to each other. I still remember there was a Malay admin lady with her security personnel husband, a Malay father and his daughter, and 2 Indian brothers from the ground handling/maintenance department with their uncle, of which the 3 of them always being mistaken as a triplet, being the highlight of the article. I think it was a very stupid article as it created an impression (at least to me) that MH is a company that hires based on recommendation of their own employees like some sort of cronyism, you know "You take my daughter/brother/husband/uncle lah for this position, no need to advertise or interview and such" kind of arrangement.

Yes, it was in Going Places. If I'm not mistaken, silver cover with Lat cartoons, August 2008. I came across the copy at a cafe, not by flying the marvelous airline.

Personally I though it was rather disgusting as well.

Do YOU want to work directly under me?

May 04, 2009

These are exciting times to be caught up in the race of technology tools. I’ve decided to use new media to hire staff for very exciting opportunities within AirAsia this time around. Heres your chance to get the job that people are asking for. There are now openings in the Ancillary Income department which generates revenue from credit card, insurance, food, duty free products, merchandise and services such as tune cards and other payment mechanisms. Tell me by writing in to me how you best fill these positions that I need. The vacancies and relevant job scopes are laid bare as below:-

Head of Ancillary Income

1. Marketing savvy

2. Able to lead a team of marketing and sales personnel

3. Have the creativity to develop new businesses and forsee opportunities for revenue expansion

4. At least 10 years working experience, preferably in Marketing in FMCG, Telecommunication, Banking or marketing related industries

5. Possess confidence and great presentation skills in engaging different levels of audiences

6. Able to crunch numbers through financial reports such as Profit & Loss statements and other financial indicators that reads the market patterns and demands ahead

7. Expect to work under great pressure as you will report directly to me and I expect results

8. Ability to have fun and party hard

9. Able to work in a team

10. Have lots of ambition to go places

Executive Ancillary Income

1. Marketing savvy

2. Develop new businesses at managerial levels by suggesting and pushing for positive growth in ancillary channels

3. At least 2-3 years working experience, preferably in Marketing in FMCG, Telecommunication, Banking or marketing related industries

4. Have great presentation skills in delivering key messages

5. Capability to develop ability to crunch numbers and derive value

6. Reports directly to Head of Ancillary

Merchandiser

1. Marketing savvy and able to think ahead on the developing trends

2. Able to source for and work on getting the best out of vendors and partners

3. Develop new businesses at managerial levels by suggesting and pushing for positive growth in merchandises that matches the overall ancillary strategy

4. At least 5 years working experience in a similar role

5. Have great presentation skills in delivering key messages

6. Reports directly to Head of Ancillary

Graphic/Merchandising Designer

1. Main duty to design merchandise and marketing collaterals

2. Eye for details and creative execution in ensuring proper messages are carried

3. Preferably with merchandising design experience

4. 2-3 years working experience in retail

5. Able to work with freelancers and scour the net for new designs and inspiration. Savvy enough to keep up with trends and with what people want.

6. Reports to Head of Ancillary Income

If you feel that you are the one, write in to me now at tonyfernandes@airasia.com and demand the job that you deserve. Live your dreams with AirAsia and work with me.

Another creative move by TF to hire workers :drinks:

I still remember MH is having this article written somewhere (I think it was in an issue of Going Places) where they featured some of their employees who are related to each other. I still remember there was a Malay admin lady with her security personnel husband, a Malay father and his daughter, and 2 Indian brothers from the ground handling/maintenance department with their uncle, of which the 3 of them always being mistaken as a triplet, being the highlight of the article. I think it was a very stupid article as it created an impression (at least to me) that MH is a company that hires based on recommendation of their own employees like some sort of cronyism, you know "You take my daughter/brother/husband/uncle lah for this position, no need to advertise or interview and such" kind of arrangement.

But is it true? I did try to use some family connections to apply for TAME, but well, the family connection wasn't strong enough (they didn't help me, while their son got offers for cadet pilot AND TAME!)

Tony Fernandes: Fantastic response on jobs. Keep them coming as my other hod's want some of you. I'm convinced we will find all our staff from here . Great.

- from his Facebook

AK still going strong..about 2 months ago MAS had stop the hiring of admin staff. Heard this from the HR dept. However, they're still taking in cabin crew and cadets.

Edited by LW Wong

Sign in to follow this