MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ahmad Sharilamin

Qantas buys 115 Boeing 787s

Massive deal.. blink.gif

Boeing Wins Qantas Order for as Many as 115 Airplanes (Update1)

Dec. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Boeing Co., the world's second- largest commercial aircraft maker, beat larger rival Airbus SAS to win an order worth as much as $15.5 billion for 115 airplanes from Qantas Airways Ltd., Australia's largest carrier.

The order is for 65 Boeing 787s for deliver starting from 2008 and rights for an additional 50 787s, the Sydney-based carrier said. Boeing's 787, which costs as much as $135 million each at list prices, will be ready for service in 2008.

The order, Qantas's biggest since 2000, will extend Chicago-based Boeing's lead over Toulouse, France-based Airbus and help it win more orders than its nearest rival for the first year in five. Qantas said it was looking for so-called wide-body planes that are more fuel efficient and will help meet demand for rising capacity.

Qantas in August said it was looking to buy new aircraft including Boeing's 787 and Airbus' A350 to fly short international and domestic routes. It's spending A$20 billion ($15 billion) on planes over the next 10 years. Boeing and Airbus have doubled their 2005 orders from the previous year, helped by rising demand for in Asia for more fuel-efficient planes.

Boeing has reached a record 800 firm airplane orders as of Nov. 30 compared with 687 orders for Airbus. The Boeing 787 seats 217 to 289 passengers.

Link to Qantas statement

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20051214/pdf/3tqzk5hk8t55s.pdf

Edited by Ahmad Sharilamin

Some how 115 Boeing 787s looks a bit too much for Qantas, even 65 Boeing 787 seemed a bit too much!

Edited by S V Choong

I note that the Flying Roo hasn't opted which manufacturer it'd go for to replace its long haul fleet, which is currently comprised of 744s, the odd 743, and some 333s and 763ERs for Asian routes (from memory - SIN from PER/ADL/DRW/BNE, KIX, HKG and NRT). Anyone wants to hedge a bet? tongue.gif

Edited by Keith T

keith apparenty high gross weight versions of the 787-9 can go long haul with equal or better economics than current long haul jets.

20172[/snapback]

Yeah, but QF did mention that its current order is only for its domestic routes and shorter international sectors. The 787s might also be useful for thin yield long haul routes. However QF still needs to replace its aging long haul high capacity fleet. It might expand its A380 order, or opting for B773ERs was the last word I heard.

that's really a lot! so they are replacing for new aircraft their entire fleet

20186[/snapback]

Of the 115 jets only 65 are firm orders so no. 10 of the 65 are for Jetstar International.

115 Boeing787 ??? blink.gif

dont forget our Malaysia's AirAsia is just 4 years old and they order 100 Airbus320 laugh.gif

Malaysia still Boleh!!!

wait i totally not understand here!

Qantas order 115 Boeing 787, 65 plus 50 options,

and from the 65,

45 is firm orders and 20 is on options?

y got so many options?

Do hope to see them regularly @ KUL / PEN (i.e. a few times a day) and maybe occassionally ( 2-3 times a week) @ KCH, LGK  and BKI in QF colours.

20307[/snapback]

Instead of QF, JQ 787 in Malaysia from various destinations in Australia. I certainly don't think QF will fly into Malaysia.

I think 3K will certainly get some B787 also as they have unlimited 5th freedom rights at SIN, but certainly not to Malaysia, though. You'll only see 3K 320 here (if they get the approval to fly into Malaysia).

Edited by Isaac

wait i totally not understand here!

Qantas order 115 Boeing 787, 65 plus 50 options,

and from the 65,

45 is firm orders and 20 is on options?

y got so many options?

20387[/snapback]

If i'm not mistaken, it's 65 firms (including 10 for JQ) and the rest are options.

Well, only such a huge order can get a massive from discount from the aircraft maker.

Edited by Isaac

Holy cow! They got cash to burn! Would be interesting to see them in coming years... But it means that JQ international might have to start services with 767s?? When were they hoping to get off the ground??

KUL is in their sites, but I won't hold my breath! I would rather see BA, AF and CO start services to KUL in the meantime.. JQ international.. I wouldn't fly them... just trying to quash the Market..

Holy cow! They got cash to burn!  Would be interesting to see them in coming years...  But it means that JQ international might have to start services with 767s??  When were they hoping to get off the ground??

KUL is in their sites, but I won't hold my breath!  I would rather see BA, AF and CO start services to KUL in the meantime.. JQ international.. I wouldn't fly them... just trying to quash the Market..

21789[/snapback]

JQ is commencing services with a few 332s of QF's.

Mmm That's a good idea, seeing as QF is not happy at all with their A332s on the domestic runs... Who was in their planning anyway? A332s are long-haul birds! JQ will use them nicely, but I've heard that they've been thrashed around abit.. Liam, any extra to add to that comment?

Sign in to follow this