MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
H Azmal

FedEx MD-11 Crash at NRT

Oh dear...so sad...our thoughts go out to those involved...was there any chance the pilot could have avoided the crash? Scary to think that passengers could be boarding the Northwest flight and see something like that happened right in front of them...so sad...

Sad day for aviation indeed - another unrelated crash in the US, with kids onboard.

RIP. :(

This has truly got to be one of the most painful aviation video to watch . . . I cannot imagine how the loved ones of the two pilots cope with watching these images flashing on their television screens and on youtube.

Thankfully, the MD-11F did not veer in the direction of another plane - either taxying on the parallel taxiway or holding short waiting for take-off. If that had happened, it would have been a much larger tragedy in terms of human toll.

Watching these footages of the MD-11F bouncing and apparently landing at high speed gives me the creeps . . . reminds me of the one time I truly feared for my life. In 2002, I was returning from Dhaka to Bangkok on a Thai MD-11 and it landed fast, really fast. Even on the approach, I could already tell that it was fast and when we crossed the threshold of BKK's runway 21L, I knew for sure it was not going to be a pretty landing. We finally slammed on the runway and the braking was violent and vicious. Thankfully my worst fears - of the MD-11 flipping over - did not materialise . . . it did not stop me from subsequently enjoying more MD-11 flights with EVA Air, Swiss, Finnair etc.

May the souls of the crew rest in peace.

KC Sim

Yes, agree with all the comments on here about this tragedy.

I was due to go spotting today for the first time in 15 (fifteen years), to EGKK with 4 friends of mine.

After watching the video I telephoned them all to say I had to pull out of the visit for the time being, I could just not face it seeing those awful pictures.

Regards to all MWingers David.

RIP to the victims. Sadly they must have thought it was just going to be another normal landing.

Apparently this is not a unique accident for MD 11 as there are other similar accident involving the type. Bounced, touchdown, main wheel collapsed followed by flip upside down.

RJAA RWY 34L/16R reopened as of 0000 GMT 24032009. Watched the footage of the crash yesterday morning. Chilling feel down my spine as the image keep repeating in my mind. First time the a/c touched down on tarmac it was very very heavy landing and it bounced back up in the air and subsequently did a wheel barrow nose gear first before bouncing second time and flipped to the left. Not sure how much fuel left in tanks. Could not be very much as the fire fighters put it out in three hours. To get such a heavy landing, my thoughts are it could be a severe microburst initially. Let's wait for the investigation report.

I first saw the video footage on TV. Was really shocked. I felt really bad yesterday trying to imaging what the two pilot had to go through in their final moments.

Must have freaked many awaiting passengers who saw the incident in front of them.

Scary moment for a/c landing on same runway......I'm sure there will be a loud applause after the plane touches down.

Edited by Simon

According to Japanese TV last night, they all seem to report the same thing....low-level turbulence aka wind shear. Meteorological dept was interviewed, and they say wind was most severe between 6am - 7am, recorded at 39 knots. Also interviewed was an ex-JAL MD-11 pilot, he said that MD-11's software are known to have problems esp. exaggerating" input from pilot to the controls.