MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Some of progress, a view of the main terminal building at KLIA2. Image captured from magazine Convergence The World@Malaysia Airports Vol.9 Oct-Nov 2011.

IMG_8678.jpg

So looks like the issue of aerobridges is settled??

If your assumption is based on evidence of those 'hammerheads' being constructed, no :)

We have a couple of those silly looking (bridgeless) teasers here at BKI, TGG too I believe ! :D

Edited by BC Tam

If your assumption is based on evidence of those 'hammerheads' being constructed, no :)

We have a couple of those silly looking (bridgeless) teasers here at BKI, TGG too I believe ! :D

Sigh... What purpose do those 'hammerheads' serve? And how much $$$ did it cost MAHB to build...

Sigh... What purpose do those 'hammerheads' serve? And how much $$$ did it cost MAHB to build...

For prospective future installation and as sheltered rampways for passengers to walk to their aircraft for departure. Structurally, shouldn't cost much - but we all know that this will most likely have added to the seemingly bursting budget.

KLIA2 baggage system upgrade to cost MAHB RM100mil more

By B.K. SIDHU

bksidhu@thestar.com.my | Nov 28, 2011

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) would be upgrading the baggage system at the new low-cost carrier terminal, KLIA2, to be fully automated based on requests made by airlines and this would cost the airport operator an additional RM100mil and push the completion date beyond October 2012, sources said.

It involves redesigning the original baggage system planned for the airport and hacking parts of the airport, which is already 40% complete. The decision on the upgrade of the baggage system only came recently following discussions with airlines, the source said. The original plan was to have a semi-automated system and now the contracts which were awarded early this year would have to be revised.

MAHB would be holding a press conference tomorrow to provide updates on KLIA2.

KLIA2, once completed, would be the most modern low-cost air terminal in Asia to cater for more than 30 million passengers and it would also have the longest skybridge in Asia.

The airport is no longer based on its original design where its terminal building was to be sited on a 150,000 sq m area.

To meet regulatory requirements for segregation of international and domestic passengers, the terminal will now be almost double its original size at 255,000 sq m.

“With a bigger terminal building that has a longer runaway and so many other requests made by airlines, including the new baggage system upgrade, the cost to build KLIA2 will go up to about RM4bil.

“Whatever the reasons, the changes have been made to accommodate the airlines because they would be using the terminal eventually .

“It should be the most modern to meet future requirements,’’ said another source.

A fully automated baggage system would provide for faster and more efficient sorting of bags and with such an upgrade, KLIA2 baggage system would be at par with the KLIA main terminal building.

A lot of the additional requests came at the point when the designs were already done and the construction had begun,” said the source.

RAM Ratings, meanwhile, reaffirmed the respective long and short-term ratings of AAA and P1 for Malaysia Airports Capital Bhd’s (MACB) RM3.10bil Islamic medium-term notes programme (2010/2025) and RM1bil Islamic commercial paper programme (2010/2017).

Both facilities have a combined limit of RM3.1bil in nominal value and are collectively referred to as “the sukuk”. The long-term rating has a stable outlook.

It said MACB was a special-purpose vehicle set up by MAHB to undertake the issuance of the sukuk for the latter.

MAHB is the exclusive 25-year concession holder that operates, manages and maintains the KLIA and 39 other airports in the country.

http://www.starproperty.my/PropertyScene/TheStarOnlineHighlightBox/17069/0/0

MAHB had a long time to discuss requirements with airlines. If memory serves me right, most of the contracts were only awarded this year. So how come no consultations were done in 2009-2010?

The current LCCT is 97% used by AirAsia Group airlines. Since there is no new airline that is reported to be based in KLIA2, the composition of airlines in the terminal will remain unchanged, i.e. AK, D7, FD, QZ, Tiger and Cebu Pacific.

MAHB stated clearly that they consulted 'airlines' and that these 'airlines' that wanted the upgrade in the baggage handling system. The key question is, does AK requested for the upgrade? We demand MAHB to name the airlines that made the request.

I would love to see Uncle Tony shoots another bazooka at MAHB by declining that AirAsia Group airlines requested for the upgrade that added RM 100 million more in the construction cost of KLIA2. And I am looking forward on the excuses from MAHB if proven so.

To me this RM 100 million sudden upgrade is just an excuse so that the completion date can be pushed forward beyond October 2012.

Remember, the original completion date was supposed to be Q2 2011, if KLIA East@Labu was allowed to proceed and Q4 2011 for KLIA2. This has slipped to H1 2012 and then to Q4 2012. If there is now a further slip, it will be the third delay.

Whatever the reasons are, this is still considered as bad project planning and management.

Well remember during the first press conference MAHB CEO said: "We will see some delays here and there. but we will get there EVENTUALLY!!"

Look like most of us who predicted major delays when KLIA2 idea was first mooted has finally come true~~~~

MAHB like any GLCs blame everyone but themselves, much like MH keeps blaming oil price and European financial turmoil!! Hello, your neighbours up North and South are recording profit although smaller than last year's. Worse still your neighbour across the Straits of Malacca is expanding as well...

Others learn to cope with current issues, Malaysia's GLC push the blame to others, memang boleh lar.......

See how the "accountability" was never a practice over here?

See how the "accountability" was never a practice over here?

accountawhat?

Incidentally - the Malay version "akauntabiliti" is now recognised by dewan bahasa dan pustaka. But, you know, it's just a word in this country. Doesn't mean anything.

KLIA2 cost rises to RM3.9b, to only open April 2013

SEPANG, Nov 29 –The new low cost carrier terminal will cost between RM3.6 billion to RM3.9 billion and be operational in April 2013 said Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) managing director Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad today.

READ MORE HERE http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/klia2-cost-rises-to-rm3.9b-to-only-open-april-2013/

That's it?

Tiba2 pasal MAS B744 nak land in the 3rd runway apa kes? By April 2013, MAS wont be flying the B744 anymore.

And again, I don't understand what Uncle Tony is saying here.

Tony Fernandes

Just talked to my guys. 30 million passengers is already one of the largest terminals in the world. No change in floor space. Now suddenly 45 million passengers.

Like · · Share · 297 · 21 minutes ago via mobile

But the bazooka shooting continues.

Tony Fernandes

Can't believe how malaysian airports gets away. Worst run malaysian company. Full of empty promises.

Like · · Share · 478 · 24 minutes ago via mobile

And on Twitter, TF is livid!

"Press just told me KLIA 2 is now double the cost at a whoppng 3.9 billion. And they justifying it that terminal is now built for 45 million passangers. That's bigger than the whole of changi airport. I leave it to you the public to decide about MAB. I hav e said enough."

"Came of us airways on steps just like airasia. Hahahahaa. Can't believe how malaysian airports gets away. Worst run malaysian compnay. Full of empty promises."

"Just talked to my guys. 30 million passangers is already one of the largest terminals in the world. No change in floor space. Now suddenly 45 million passangers."

"American airlines just gone into bankruptcy. And malaysian airports spend 3.9 billion. I'm sure that's not the final figure."

Re the runway: this was not their original story was it? I thought the runway was originally 4 km x 60 m and would only be completed 6 months AFTER KLIA2 opened. So now the story is different.

Anyway, if this runway is to cater for LCCs, then a 3 km runway is more than enough. Land can be set aside to accommodate an extension in future, should the runway be also made available for general use.

Must go back to the early posts in this thread to check the MAHB spin... ;)

Edited by flee

Page 1 of this thread:

LCCT baru RM1.7b di KLIA siap 2010 (RM 1.7b New LCCT at KLIA to be completed in 2010

Re the runway: this was not their original story was it? I thought the runway was originally 4 km x 60 m and would only be completed 6 months AFTER KLIA2 opened. So now the story is different.

Anyway, if this runway is to cater for LCCs, then a 3 km runway is more than enough. Land can be set aside to accommodate an extension in future, should the runway be also made available for general use.

Must go back to the early posts in this thread to check the MAHB spin... ;)

The AIC released by DCA last year stated that the runway will be 3660M with a width of 45M.

Source

accountawhat?

Incidentally - the Malay version "akauntabiliti" is now recognised by dewan bahasa dan pustaka. But, you know, it's just a word in this country. Doesn't mean anything.

It is also meant 'masuk akaun sendiri' .............. :yahoo:

:hi:

The AIC released by DCA last year stated that the runway will be 3660M with a width of 45M.

Source

Ok, very good - we have some facts. :)

Still this MAHB keeps shifting the goalposts. Bad project planning and management!