MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
M. Sofian H.

MAS May Operate At New LCCT

PUTRAJAYA, March 13 (Bernama) - Malaysia Airlines is not ruling out the possibility operating at the newly proposed Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) to be built by Malaysia Airports Holdings.

"We will see. There is a long time to come, and in fact there is a long time to build it. In the meantime, we'll have to look at all (aspects)," said its managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Idris Jala.

He was met on the sidelines of the GLCs Transformation Progress Review March 2009 meet here today.

He was asked whether MAS would consider operating at the new LCCT which is expected to start construction by middle of this year and completed by the third quarter of 2011.

On whether MAS would be involved in LCC operation, Idris said, "We will eventually venture into LCC operations. That is something we may consider in the future but not at the moment."

"You never say no to things in the future. We always look at options," he added.

"Whatever makes commercial sense for us, we will look at them favourably."

Asked if MAS might operate at the new airport as LCC could cut operations cost, Idris said, "We will have to see because they have not built it so we don't know what is the charges they will put at the new LCCT.

"We have not seen the design. They haven't told us what charges will be put on...landing and parking charges, we do not know."

Idris said only after the airport operator has produced the blueprint for the new terminal, and the details are provided, MAS will be able to respond accordingly.

Whether MAS has a wish list for the new LCCT, he said: "We didn't give the wish list. All we know is it is important to have level playing field."

It was reported that a wish list been given by AirAsia Bhd, the LCC, to MAHB.

Idris noted that Firefly, a LCC unit of MAS, would continue operating in Subang Airport.

"That is the current plan and it will continue to operate there."

Firefly Sdn Bhd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the national carrier.

-- BERNAMA

Tony : OMG... !!!

Then Mh can bring down their ''fly 5 star at low cost.'' because if they fly from lcct, they are LCC.

Then I guess in future we may hear again same complain from DTF : "My planes dont have enough parking space here...I need a new LCCT for my planes and customers..Can continue with Labu-Labi project??" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The design of MTB/Satellite terminal is inefficient for airline operation. If the new LCCT is operational friendly and efficient, better for MH to ditch MTB/satellite terminal for the new LCCT else will forever at disadvantage and inefficient. The MTB/satellite terminal can become a amusement park, airport museum, convention center, shopping center, etc that MAB is so keen to venture into.

:drinks:

The design of MTB/Satellite terminal is inefficient for airline operation. If the new LCCT is operational friendly and efficient, better for MH to ditch MTB/satellite terminal for the new LCCT else will forever at disadvantage and inefficient. The MTB/satellite terminal can become a amusement park, airport museum, convention center, shopping center, etc that MAB is so keen to venture into.

Hello Good day to all,

to Mr. KK Lee,, I read about same point/fact before in other topic but I cant remember where...I love to know and really appreciate if you elaborate more which site/part of KLIA's MTB and/or Satellite terminal does not friendly and inefficient to airline operator??Let say we make a comparison between other airport..

Edited by Ashmil Abd Ghani

Hello Good day to all,

Mr. KK Lee I read about same point/fact before in other topic but I cant remember where...I love to know and really appreciate if you elaborate more which site/part of KLIA's MTB and/or Satellite terminal does not friendly and inefficient to airline operator??Let say we make a comparison between other airport..

KK,

Shall we start with the world's longest conveyor belt? :p

Hello Good day to all,

to Mr. KK Lee,, I read about same point/fact before in other topic but I cant remember where...I love to know and really appreciate if you elaborate more which site/part of KLIA's MTB and/or Satellite terminal does not friendly and inefficient to airline operator??Let say we make a comparison between other airport..

Most new airports and terminals construct in 90’s and after is single terminal design to minimize transit time and ease of airline operation. The distance between MTB and satellite is inconvenient for transit and cause long baggage transfer, hence unfriendly to airlines operating for a hub or alliance.

Assume Jetstar to make KUL its hub. Baggage need to send from satellite to MTB to be sorted before send back to satellite again. As mean time on belt from satellite is 40 minutes, in theory, MAB can only guarantee all baggage transfer or transit not less than 80 minutes. Understand, currently MH placed all transit baggage in priority ULD to shorten baggage transfer.

Changi guaranteed last bag on belt in 20 minutes, hence comfortable to accept transit for 40 minutes.

Edited by KK Lee

Many thanks to Mr. KK Lee for the explanation and Tony for the hint..hehe..Mean here mainly about baggage transitions time taken lah...

So how about others major airport round the world with more than 1 terminal, how do they do to make it more efficient like SIN as you mention above..

And on last week newspaper, MAB come with a solution to reduce time taken from Satellite building...So see it how soon...

Most new airports and terminals construct in 90’s and after is single terminal design to minimize transit time and ease of airline operation. The distance between MTB and satellite is inconvenient for transit and cause long baggage transfer, hence unfriendly to airlines operating for a hub or alliance.

Assume Jetstar to make KUL its hub. Baggage need to send from satellite to MTB to be sorted before send back to satellite again. As mean time on belt from satellite is 40 minutes, in theory, MAB can only guarantee all baggage transfer or transit not less than 80 minutes. Understand, currently MH placed all transit baggage in priority ULD to shorten baggage transfer.

Changi guaranteed last bag on belt in 20 minutes, hence comfortable to accept transit for 40 minutes.

I thought the belt speeds can reach 60 km/h?

maybe its just in other airports

For my last few flights the past couple of months via KLIA, luggage delivery upon arrival has improved tremendously. Never waited beyond 10minutes, and I am one of the first few to reach luggage claim area. Yesterday luggage from DPS already waiting for me - I was first to reach ( took about 10 minutes from the moment aircraft was parked to reach luggage reclaim belt), in Y class somemore....

To Mr. V Wong,,

since your flight within ASEAN region, most probably ur aircraft been parked at MTB,, correct or it park at Satellite terminal?? IF at MTB, then it bit improvement I guess..Still wondering how about from Satellite terminal...

To Mr. V Wong,,

since your flight within ASEAN region, most probably ur aircraft been parked at MTB,, correct or it park at Satellite terminal?? IF at MTB, then it bit improvement I guess..Still wondering how about from Satellite terminal...

Parked at contact pier, second last gate from the end, can't remember which gate now. It was a long way to the baggage reclaim area, and I walked very briskly on the travelator.

Still it was improvement from previously where one can wait up to 40-60min!

..... It was a long way to the baggage reclaim area, and I walked very briskly on the travelator.

You were testing/pushing the envelope of their 'beyond expectation' service recovery ? :p

You were testing/pushing the envelope of their 'beyond expectation' service recovery ? :p

I will sprint next time