MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Wan

NO CONTROL TOWER

I just came back from perth and over heard from the news some of the remote airports in OZ has got no control tower, but big jets like Qantas is using that airport

, even during night. They (pilots) just click's on some frequencies, the runway lights will come on. Wonder do we have control tower in our remote airport?

my time i had in Australia..somewhere out of Sydney...let say between Sydney and Canberra, few ariports around...NO TOWER.

They call CTAF...you go in...you talk certain inbound call to "all station", if there is traffic around...they talk back to you and tell you where they are...then you tell them where you are and inbound for what runway...

It was fun...i remember we had 3 MAS cadet flights inbound to a same airport within 5 minutes interval for refueling and have our lunch...milkshakes with french fries!!!!

Sad to say...my friends that i mentioned...they have gone to the middle east.

Nicholas,

Many "general aviation" airports in the US also operate the same way as above: pilots can click 5x on a certain frequency and the runway lights turn-on ohmy.gif

You have to call your positions yourself for other pilots to know your place in the landing pattern...

Nicholas,

Many "general aviation" airports in the US also operate the same way as above: pilots can click 5x on a certain frequency and the runway lights turn-on  ohmy.gif

You have to call your positions yourself for other pilots to know your place in the landing pattern...

17038[/snapback]

What happen if some object on the runway....like animals...danger danger!

What happen if some object on the runway....like animals...danger danger!

17039[/snapback]

Agree, at night, it's risky, but with the landing-light(s) on, this should chase away the animals...if not -> overshoot !!!

In Sg Tiang, Taman Negara, or some other small airstrips in Malaysia,

similar procedures for comm.

As for objects or animals on the runway,

just do what the A380 did over KLIA,

buzz over the runway at low level to visual check,

as well to scare them off laugh.gif laugh.gif

true, Nicholas.

there's once where we were coming in to land at this small (we call it Unattended) airstrip here, the sheep is standing in the middle of the runway chewing it's grass and about 5secs away from touchdown we had to go-around.... after we did that we looked back.. the sheep walked away.

another time we have golfers on the runway(grass) as well.. and they're juz standing there watching us and at the final moments we made a go around, then they walk away..... dry.gif wish we had horns on planes so we can toot them to move over.. tongue.gif

Kaikoura, NZ has one. My friend who has his PPL flew me to Kaikoura for lunch and there is no ATC.

What he has to do in this case is report his status when in the area (landing and takeoff). Cool experience no doubt.

Sad to say...my friends that i mentioned...they have gone to the middle east.

17037[/snapback]

Looks like somebody craves the hot sun and overflowing dollars over here..... laugh.gif laugh.gif

The airfield I mainly fly out of is a CTAF, which in Australia is not a requirement you have a radio to even fly there!

TK, they are re-naming MBZ (Mandatory Broadcast Zones), CTAF ®'s, so its a CTAF that you must have a radio. And are adopting American radio procedures, so "All Stations", goes to "xxx traffic" and so on.

The ones that Dick Smith is worried about it ones like Hamilton Hill and Prosperpine, Broome, etc where large a/c such as airliners fly into.

dude, we crave hot suns here at Malaysia too, but no overflowing dollars here,

17129[/snapback]

Erm...are you SURE about that? Last time I checked..nobody liked the hot sun... blink.gif

Erm...are you SURE about that? Last time I checked..nobody liked the hot sun... blink.gif

17166[/snapback]

Aye!

..though i dont like rain too. tongue.gif

Sign in to follow this