MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
CV Thian

Model A380 breaks world record

Model A380 breaks world record

extracted from The Age Travel 24/07/08

A380Model_wideweb__470x350,0.jpg

Even at one-third the size, the A380 is still huge.

Photo: AP

When it comes to the Airbus A380 superjumbo, even a scale model is a giant. The world's largest airliner has broken another record with the world's largest aircraft model going on display at Heathrow.

Airline Emirates has installed a third-scale model of the A380 on the Emirates' Roadabout, formerly known as Concorde Roundabout, at Heathrow Airport.

Weighing 45 tonnes, the model is more than twice the size of Concorde model, which was based at Heathrow for 16 years. Despite being only a third of the size of the real aircraft, the model still measures 24 metres long with wingspan of 26 metres. The model, made of glass-reinforced plastic over a steel frame, is the same size as a Boeing 737.

The replica was built by US-based Penwal at its manufacturing base in California over a six-month period, using plans provided by the A380's manufacturer, Airbus, in Toulouse.

It was then transported by truck to Ontario Airport in Los Angeles where it was flown to Heathrow aboard a massive Antonov cargo plane.

A special mechanical ramp was flown into London from Germany to offload the plane as it was too heavy for the Antonov’s winch crane.

Next month Emirates will become the second airline, after Singapore Airlines, to begin flying the A380 commercially. The first flight is scheduled to take place on Friday, August 1, flying from Dubai to New York. It will be the A380's first commercial flight into the United States.

- Craig Platt with AP

It was flown to Heathrow aboard a Ruslan !!! A special mechanical ramp was flown into London from Germany to offload the model as it was too heavy for the An-124 winch crane...

DSC00511.jpg

Holy Smokes...

even I didnt know this was coming :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Simon,

How much does it cost??? :rofl:

The small scale model cost already RM100+....I think you need to apply for bank loans if you want to buy this model.

The small scale model cost already RM100+....I think you need to apply for bank loans if you want to buy this model.

1/400 cost Rm100++; 1/3=RM10,000++?

i don't wan to model, but i tempted to own the cash. :rofl: with the cash i can break Simon records. *dream* *dream* *dream*

I guess the site was previously occupied by Concord, if im not mistaken.

mentioned in the article??? :pardon:

I guess the site was previously occupied by Concord, if im not mistaken.

Yerp..previously a Concorde model occupied the space but it is already donated to the Brooklands Museum, Surrey. Emirates has secured the rights to the advertising site after British Airways ended its 16-year link with the prime location.

The banker will ask why you the huge model for :lol: :rofl:

1/400 cost Rm100++; 1/3=RM10,000++?

i don't wan to model, but i tempted to own the cash. :rofl: with the cash i can break Simon records. *dream* *dream* *dream*

mentioned in the article??? :pardon:

With the cash i would buy bigmama lens like yours :lol:

The banker will ask why you the huge model for :lol: :rofl:

With the cash i would buy bigmama lens like yours :lol:

for fun. :rofl:

the balance donate to me k? :yahoo: :yahoo:

Wow .. the size still look bigger than Fokker 50 or 737 ..

So..does Malaysia hv any plans to build a bigger A380 model than the Emirates to show 'semangat Malaysia Boleh' ?? :D

Here is the website of the Emirates A380 modeler - Penwal Industries

4ac1cd25-08b2-4607-bfaf-b7e7f126f11.jpg

63b18629-6ccd-43e9-bf99-53d8ae79ae2.jpg

db3f24e3-dcb1-49d5-a297-0ac1caa59cf.jpg

phptbBKpH.jpg

EMM..good proposal here..why not we all Malaysianwings member to prove the Malaysia Boleh spirit by making this model with our own MW livery and put it at (i dont where)..hehehehehehehhe..may be at weather station spotting area.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Emm the cost of the model let say USD10k but the how about shipment..huhuhu..can put inside box ka..hehehe..

But honestly it really huge same size on actual B737..can you imagine it??what a massive..

emm to Datuk Seri IJ..how??one to make 1/2 scale ke on MAS A380 soon..

USD10k is just about the price for those large models at travel agents complete with miniature seats etc. My estimate would be in the high six figure, or even seven figure price tag. I suppose with EK, cost is a non-issue. And by the way, this model advertises Emirates in a very loud way, and can go to A&P expenses.

..... this model advertises Emirates in a very loud way, and can go to A&P expenses.

Where else would the bean counters place the expenses ?! :D

Man, it has been a long while since I come across one of those "large models at travel agents complete with miniature seats etc" Last one to be admired was pics of the FedEx dugong freighter (somewhere in this site)

Perhaps Raymond Lim will have the 1/3 scale EK dugong available for preorder soon ? :p

Thing is, it will be one heck of an effort trying to build a scaled airport diorama, complete with runway perhaps :blink: :)

Emirates is fast expanding and by virtue of the fact that it is a cash rich young airlines. Over the years, they have injected lots of fund for marketing as well as fleet renewal, wont be surprise they will soon appear as one of the world's leader in aviation industry.

Edited by Kenneth T

45 tonnes?...lol...that is almost the weight of a 734 with the minimal cargo,pax and fuel...even heavier than its Dry Operating Zero Fuel weight..massive...

Considering how my wife moans when pos laju delivers my little gems nowadays, I wonder how she will react if an Antonov regurgitates like that on our front yard :D

That EK model is 1:3, the Antonov is 1:1, looks like a tight fit in the cargo bay. Would it be safe to assume a 1:1 A380 will be able to comfortably accomodate an Antonov within ? Geesh, it's big !

Sign in to follow this