MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mehdi

9M-MRD

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here in this forum. Was just wondering what has happened to 9M-MRD? Did they change its livery or not yet? I am living in Melbourne and am keen to catch her but not sure why she is not coming down under.

Thanks heaps,

Mehdi.

Welcome on board!

Too bad have to break the bad news to you. Read somewhere here that the Heliconia (9M-MRD) has been stripped and no longer wearing the awesome livery she once don. The two hibiscus (9M-MPB and 9M-MPD) had also been stripped.

Mehdi,

Heliconia is already history. Here is the latest picture of it by Jerry Ang. CLICK HERE

Edited by MIR

Hi guys thanks for your quick reply and welcoming me;)

But why did they stripped it?! Don't you think they looks heaps better?

It's a pity I cannot see her :(

Thanks anyway.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

Edited by Mehdi

Welcome to MW Mehdi. All the special liveries were stripped off because MH wanted to save on fuel.

OT: Melbourne can now seriously challenge Kota Kinabalu to become the most active MW branch. So many active members in Melbourne!

But why did they stripped it?! Don't you think they looks heaps better?

MAS is trying to save on expenses. The multiple coats of paint are quite heavy and stripping them off will save a lot of fuel.

Who else are from Melbourne? Hey BKI MWingers, more post please... :rolleyes:

I'm in Melbourne. So are a few other MWingers.

Those special liveries are history.

Not sure about the paint weight on the MRD, but for MPD (Hibiscus) if I'm not mistaken, those special livery is like the plane is carrying extra 5 tons weight.

not to mention it is reported that by reverting back to the old scheme will save the company approx. RM900,000 in terms of fuel per year.

Thanks all for your replies. I didn't think of fuel saving thing as I should have done it! Not sure any of other Melbourne spotters being active or want to ask questions in MW, but I myself have been several times there and really like Malaysia and Malaysians ;)

But I would still say that that livery was perfect and was the best in the world and will remain the best, but as all of us know money, money money profit and so one is always the first thing a company is thinking of!

Cheers,

Mehdi from down under ;)

Like all before me, I truly missed seeing Heliconia (especially) and the Hibiscus B744s.

You could say that the special liveried planes in MAS' fleet have been de-flowered. While we understand the need to save weight and costs, it still does not make it any easier to bid goodbye to Heliconia.

It was for me one of the classiest special liveries in the world.

KC Sim

Another Melbournian here!!!! Welcome Mehdi to the board. Nice to have another jetspotter member on here.

MRD operating at MH 129/182 this evening ( you guessed it too Melbourne )

Hi Karl,

Thanks for that. Have you seen it? The old livery is stripped off now?!

Cheers,

Mehdi.

Hi Mehdi,

Was thinking of staying back at work to see if it had been repainted or not as I finished at 6pm, but at 12 degrees & 40knot winds expected tonight, I said mmmmmmm no. :rolleyes:

Cheers mate, you are right though ;) especially she arrived at night no photography chance let alone the wx would not also allow. BTW if you find out would you please let me know.

Hi Mehdi N,

Good to see you here :) :) . Does my name ring any bell to you? hehehe

Hi Walter. not really but I guess we had some email contacts about the Iran Air photo you took, is that right? sorry!

Edited by Mehdi

hi guys,

cant help on addin to this post, from what i heard there are romours that the weight of 9m-mrd has increased after they repainted it to its original MAS colours!! well is it true? anybody from MAS engineering??