MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

Sibu Airport spotting

Nice picture of the old Sibu Airport.

It is not the current airport however. The location was nearer to town, about 7 (?) miles final runway 13 of the current airport. The old airport can accept only Fokker 50, B737 started ops into SBW when the current one opened in 1994 (?)

Hey Tarmizi...saw this picture on Skyscrapercity, i hope you like it. It was taken even before we were borned.

Seen clearly is a Malayan Airways DC3...those were the days...the terminal reminds me of a Lego "Airport"...so basic!

Hope you like it...especially for MW's Resident Sibu Spotter! :drinks:

The New (inspired by a Swan taking off)

airport-1.jpg

I wonder how it got inspired by swan taking off? any idea anyone?

Aiya, the model looking similar to the other airport

Nice photo of old SBW airport,Kenneth! Thanks for posting it.Yes,the old airport was located at Teku,and it could only accomodate Fokker 50 and Twin Otter aircraft that time,and as mentioned by Capt.Radzi,734 ops to SBW commenced in 1994 when the new terminal was launched (and the relocation of the airport too).Now,the old airport site accomodates the UCS (United College of Sarawak) main campus building.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

It is not the current airport however. The location was nearer to town, about 7 (?) miles final runway 13 of the current airport. The old airport can accept only Fokker 50, B737 started ops into SBW when the current one opened in 1994 (?)

Oh yes...now i remembered....there was an airport before the one I labelled "current", yup...i stand corrected...didnt know...hehehe.

BTW Dr, SIBU has the swan as their town "mascot", if you the the structure of the building, the long pick-up and drop off point, its supposed to be the "neck"...and the wider part is the "body" while the terminal looks like the "wing" spread out "in-flight"...hehehe...I think...at least it was what the designers presented in the blueprint....hahahhaha!

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Kenneth, the picture really showed how air travel was back then!

The cars and planes, all in different era.

Wonder how the pilot would look like then. Come to think of it nothing much changed in this aspect, except maybe the haircut. :)

Just had a day trip to SBW yesterday... tiring but observed something new. I was on board MH3690 F50 0710-0755 and back MH2255 B737 1710-1745 and Maswing serve using trolleys now, instead of offering a trayfull of YEOs Soy bEan or Milo packed drinks. SIBU airport sucks... old and stuffy. You can harvest gunny full of birds nest at the check in area, if you looked up the ceiling... no wonder sibu is full with swiftlets farming... even to the airport welcoming visitors withbirds nest... but mind you the one in airport is inedible...

Just had a day trip to SBW yesterday... tiring but observed something new. I was on board MH3690 F50 0710-0755 and back MH2255 B737 1710-1745 and Maswing serve using trolleys now, instead of offering a trayfull of YEOs Soy bEan or Milo packed drinks. SIBU airport sucks... old and stuffy. You can harvest gunny full of birds nest at the check in area, if you looked up the ceiling... no wonder sibu is full with swiftlets farming... even to the airport welcoming visitors withbirds nest... but mind you the one in airport is inedible...

Dr Chuo, I do agree with your opinion above.Too bad there are no latest news about the proposed renovation on the SBW main terminal building,as the project seems to be 'dead' already;even the road connecting to the airport is yet to be completed <_>

Sibu is the last major airport in Sarawak that is yet to be upgraded. The only upgrade recently was the runway extension. No aircond at check in and common area. One has to go to the cafeteria to get aircond! Anyways, with the amount of flights served by SBW, it's ok. Only four direct flights to KUL,three of them AK. Nonetheless, a new terminal would be nice. I can do with the typical Global Upline, KLIA Consult inspired design over the present one anytime!

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Something to share during navex - sorry for the poor quality ......

Image944.jpg

Image945.jpg

Image946.jpg

Image935.jpg

Image937.jpg

Image938.jpg

Image939.jpg

This is the airport prior to the current one????

43_5746_94847ce61132955.jpg

i hope this picture brings back old memories....taken from Skyscrapercity...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Wow,another photo of old SBW terminal! This time it's in the 70s.Thanks again for posting the photo of the old SBW airport terminal,Kenneth!

The old SBW airfield at Teku is now being developed;next to the runway (located next to the C130 crash site is UCS main campus building),and part of the runway is being converted as road to the Tun Zaidi Stadium.

Here's the photo taken by me last year:

The runway's end

DSCN0383.jpg

In the past,this runway used to receive DC-3.Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer,F27,Britten Norman Islander,F50 and Twin Otter.Now it's all history.

DSCN0386.jpg

The former terminal site

DSCN0387.jpg

Apron site

DSCN0390.jpg

Thanks Cikgu Kenneth and Tamizi for sharing the pictures..Good to see all the past history pictures..This is second time I see former runway at Sarawak..I guess only at Sarawak we able to see former runway been left and still remain till this day..As far I know, I never see former runway with the marking at Semenanjung (Peninsular)..

Sorry OT: I have some pictures on old Bintulu airport runway also..The apron now become car park for Bintulu residents.. :(

Edited by Ashmil Abd Ghani

A bit OT here, but at Mukah Airfield,you can see the remains of the old terminal and also the apron too.I've seen it back in 2004,where it was located at the gate of Mukah Airfield.

Did some spooting at WBGS to kill time....

Ak1.jpg

Hey hey hey... AK using Aerobridge in WBGS... 9M-AHJ arrived from JHB as AK5754

ak2.jpg

non filtered and filtered result of 9M-AHJ....

mh1.jpg

MH2256 from KCH...9M-MMA on service

mh2.jpg

MH2255 ready for pax to board while AK5755 departed behind

Good effort there Doc, any cabin shots? hehehe... hope to see more pics posted from ur frequented flights in and around sarawak :drinks:

Nice photo,Doc! At what time you took these photos? Weather was terrible around 3.00pm at SBW <_>

Oh,BTW,yesterday morning i've spotted the AK VMY jet flying through the sky over my village.Spotted it after concluding the Eid-ul-Adha prayers yesterday morning.