MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Simon

War plane storage in US

Pic probably shows boneyard in Mohave, Az.

These are B-52s (aka BUFF), 8 engines and the extra pods are droptanks (or in previous combat situations, they're used instead to carry air-dropped cruise missiles).

During the Cold War, at least 2 B-52s were airborne 24/7 at various insertion points into USSR's western and eastern airspace. Their strike command don't come from DOD, but directly from the POTUS.

Edited by Denny Yen

That picture is of the AMARC (Aircraft Maintainance and Regeneration Center) storage at Davis-Monthan AFB in Arizona.It shows the storage of early models B-52s (D/F/G) models ,not only because they have used up their flying airframe hours but also to comply with various SALT (Strategic Arms Limitations Treaty) with the former USSR.Also the US armed forces sometimes stores surplus aircraft for onwards sale to friendly or allied countries to US example F-16s (early A models) to Italy,Thailand,Jordan.F-4 Phantoms to Greece and Turkey and Egypt,A-7 to Greece and Portugal,C-130Es to SriLanka,Iraq,Jordan.

There is a book on the AMARC itself and also on Davis-Monthan AFB (the Arizona ANG is based there with a Fighter Wing flying A-10s.)

.......Also the US armed forces sometimes stores surplus aircraft for onwards sale to friendly or allied countries to US .....

That reminds me the story of some Douglas A-4PTM Skyhawks.

That picture is of the AMARC (Aircraft Maintainance and Regeneration Center) storage at Davis-Monthan AFB in Arizona.It shows the storage of early models B-52s (D/F/G) models ,not only because they have used up their flying airframe hours but also to comply with various SALT (Strategic Arms Limitations Treaty) with the former USSR.Also the US armed forces sometimes stores surplus aircraft for onwards sale to friendly or allied countries to US example F-16s (early A models) to Italy,Thailand,Jordan.F-4 Phantoms to Greece and Turkey and Egypt,A-7 to Greece and Portugal,C-130Es to SriLanka,Iraq,Jordan.

There is a book on the AMARC itself and also on Davis-Monthan AFB (the Arizona ANG is based there with a Fighter Wing flying A-10s.)

Hi Azmir,

Spot on - respect! The site is close to Tuscon In Arizona and is huge. I have been lucky enough to view it from the air twice, the last time was from a G- registered S61 helicopter I was ferrying across the States. I often wondered if there was any spotters on the ground watching a UK registered helicopter flying in circles over AMARC wondering what was going on. Got some great photos :clapping:

There's now been three books published detailing all of the comings and goings at AMARC. Here's a link to a great website with photo's , etc...........enjoy

http://www.go.to/AMARC

Cheers

Steve

Sign in to follow this