MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Soh

SQ to cancel flights to LAX via TPE

The title explains it all. SQ will be terminating their flights to LAX via TPE from Oct 2008. The yields are not that great and the weak USD is not helping to shore the bottomline. Thus, the only remaining flights will be the A380 SIN-NRT-LAX and the full-JCL A345 nonstop.

I hope MAS will use this opportunity to dedicate 3 747-400s on the KUL-TPE-LAX route to make it a daily affair. Who knows? Maybe eventually make it into a twice daily flight?! Hello? IJ... You there?

I am interested to see MAS' response to this development.

I hope this new development will be telling how well MH is in route management.

Earlier scenario:

Both MH and SQ served ZRH. MH 3 weekly while SQ 1 daily. MH pulled out and SQ increase capacity to 2 daily flights.

New scenario:

Both MH and SQ are serving LAX via TPE. MH 1 daily while SQ 1 daily too (am I right?). SQ will pull out. What will MH do?

I hope this new development will be telling how well MH is in route management.

Earlier scenario:

Both MH and SQ served ZRH. MH 3 weekly while SQ 1 daily. MH pulled out and SQ increase capacity to 2 daily flights.

New scenario:

Both MH and SQ are serving LAX via TPE. MH 1 daily while SQ 1 daily too (am I right?). SQ will pull out. What will MH do?

Pull out also laaa, see Singapore also pull out, so says IJ.

New scenario:

MH to increase LAX services to 2x daily to take up the slack

1x daily routed KUL-MYY-LAX-BKI-KUL

1x daily routed KUL-SDK-LAX-KCH-KUL

All snek-boks services on board, option for pax to disembark at transit stops to ta-pau real food

Malaysian govt via Tourism Malaysia to subsidize services on 'national interest' basis

;)

New scenario:Both MH and SQ are serving LAX via TPE. MH 1 daily while SQ 1 daily too (am I right?). SQ will pull out. What will MH do?
It states on the MAS website that KUL-LAX is only flown on Tue, Thu, Fri and Sun. But when I tried ALL days to book the flights, it was availble for departure on those days and more (even on Mon, Wed and Sat). Is it a case of not updating it correctly or is MH really offering daily flights to LAX, and not 4 times a week as I remembered?
Note that SQ is not pulling out completely, but rather re-aligning this route to make it leaner in terms of yields.
MH to increase LAX services to 2x daily to take up the slack1x daily routed KUL-MYY-LAX-BKI-KUL1x daily routed KUL-SDK-LAX-KCH-KULAll snek-boks services on board, option for pax to disembark at transit stops to ta-pau real foodMalaysian govt via Tourism Malaysia to subsidize services on 'national interest' basis ;)
Hahahahahaha.... An extension on the Visit Malaysia Year? Speaking of which, now that 2007 is over, why do they still have the "Visit Malaysia Year" decals on the aircraft? Without the the "2007", it just looks tacky reeking of a campaign from a bygone era especially when the decals are all dirty and browning away.

MH operates daily to LAX now via TPE, where somedays the departure is at 1000am and on other days its at 1500.

On what MH wil do, now that SQ has decided to cancel those fligths ? Well I think MH wont do anything, if they do, it will be too late because another airline would have taken proactive measures to utilise the loss of SQ on that route. Maybe TG might come up with something new ? I doubt MH has any potential on being proactive. They are focussing on other "important" matters now. Once bitten, twice NOT shy. MH will continue to go down hill, as KUL has to our ardent competitors SIN & SQ, HKG & CX, CGK & GA and most recently DXB and EK. All this in favour of our national pride.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They should reconfigure their aircraft and offer ' Sardine packed class with Snekboks ' as well as the normal EY , J and F .That way they can have a 5 STAR airline as well as LCC solutions :)

There is no real confirmation of what's really going on.

There's been speculation about the imminent demise of SQ27/28 because people on SQTalk noticed that availability was blanked out for months on end. But this morning availability came back - though only on certain days. To me this indicates a scaling down of ops, or a phased termination.

However my friend (you might recall taipeiflyer from my trip report) has since contacted his PPS coordinator in a panic, and she assured him that SQ27/28 will not be canned. In fact she also mentioned something about the 77W being back on the route at some stage.

Edited by Keith T

LOL !

It is no secret that TPE/LAX has always been low yield. May be MAS should re-route their LAX flight via ICN.

It is no secret that TPE/LAX has always been low yield. May be MAS should re-route their LAX flight via ICN

But it is the low yield market segment that MAS has publicly stated as their intended realm of dominance; remember "leisure focussed, business interested" declaration in BTP2 ?

So I say, go for it Datuk IJ !!

MH to increase LAX services to 2x daily to take up the slack

1x daily routed KUL-MYY-LAX-BKI-KUL

1x daily routed KUL-SDK-LAX-KCH-KUL

All snek-boks services on board, option for pax to disembark at transit stops to ta-pau real food

Malaysian govt via Tourism Malaysia to subsidize services on 'national interest' basis

;)

I am not sure if MAS' current fleet of 744 and 772 will have enough range to cover SDK or KCH-LAX direct... :lol:

KUL-ICN-LAX? How about KUL-NRT-LAX (I think MH already had the right for this route from ages ago when they started LAX with the B743). Or alternatively, they should probably look to fly out from a secondary Chinese city such as Nanjing and go direct to LAX. The Chinese government will sure be please to hear that a foreign airline is picking up on the routes their airlines do not have sufficient load to fill up. A good chance for testifying the Malaysian Boleh spirit as well! :good:

Wouldn't TPE be a technical stop only? Since the 744 and the 772 do not have enough range. MAS will need the 777-200LR to fly direct from KUL or BKI.

An extension on the Visit Malaysia Year? Speaking of which, now that 2007 is over, why do they still have the "Visit Malaysia Year" decals on the aircraft? Without the the "2007", it just looks tacky reeking of a campaign from a bygone era especially when the decals are all dirty and browning away.

We are promoting Malaysia forever now, hence the indefinite 'Visit Malaysia Year' sticker.

On what MH wil do, now that SQ has decided to cancel those fligths ? Well I think MH wont do anything, if they do, it will be too late because another airline would have taken proactive measures to utilise the loss of SQ on that route.

On a serious note, I also think MH won't do anything regarding this development, if proven true. I think a daily 744 flight to LAX is already more than sufficient for MH.

It is no secret that TPE/LAX has always been low yield. May be MAS should re-route their LAX flight via ICN.

I think, ICN would be a great idea if MH is keen about Skyteam. It's just that whether MH can secure a 5th freedom right in ICN or not for the service.

How about KUL-NRT-LAX (I think MH already had the right for this route from ages ago when they started LAX with the B743). Or alternatively, they should probably look to fly out from a secondary Chinese city such as Nanjing and go direct to LAX. The Chinese government will sure be please to hear that a foreign airline is picking up on the routes their airlines do not have sufficient load to fill up. A good chance for testifying the Malaysian Boleh spirit as well!

Wouldn't TPE be a technical stop only? Since the 744 and the 772 do not have enough range. MAS will need the 777-200LR to fly direct from KUL or BKI.

I think I read somewhere in A.Net that MH used to have a 5th freedom right in NRT but it wasn't daily and MH can't do anything to make it daily. So, in order to provide a daily service to LAX without having to route it via different airports, MH chosed TPE because slots are cheap and easy to obtain as compared to NRT, which we all know is a very expensive airport to serve with very strict landing slots (which is crucial for airline's route and fleet management e.g. EK still don't serve NRT because of this reason).

A Chinese stopover is a great idea as well, although I don't think the Chinese government is not that 'open' to foreign carriers to award them a 5th freedom right. As for the ULH capable aircrafts (B772LR or A345), I don't think MH is heading towards the direction of SQ, TG and EK.

Schedule still shows SQ28/27 as available but you only see SQ12/11 when you book the flight in Y. I really do hope that they do keep SQ28/27 and at least give some choice for Y flyers travelling with SQ.

This is what I'm seeing with consistency wef 1OCT2008, sample dates in DEC here:

SQ 28

SIN 12/02/08 5:05 PM LAX 12/02/08 8:20 PM 772

Su,T,W,F

Z0 C0 J0 D0 Y0 B0 W0 Q0 N0 V0 E0 M0 H0 T0 L0 K0

SQ 27

LAX 12/22/08 12:20 AM SIN 12/23/08 11:50 AM 772

M,W,Th,Sa

Z0 C0 J0 D0 Y0 B0 W0 Q0 N0 V0 E0 M0 H0 S0 T0 L0 K0

Note that the schedule is down to 4xweekly. They're obviously in yield control mode - I'd hope it's a sign of equipment uncertainty rather than a phased termination.

As pointed out above, SQ11/12 via NRT is wide open in stark contrast.

Edited by Keith T

As for the ULH capable aircrafts (B772LR or A345), I don't think MH is heading towards the direction of SQ, TG and EK.

Let's not get started on this very expensive ULH ops. It has been a long and drawn out process for SQ and TG trying to make a profit from this kind of flights. SQ has thrown in the towel, at least in the YCL dept and decided to convert their A345s to a full JCL. I am yet to see what will TG do. WIll they follow suit? I am not surprised if they do because being the lower yielding of the two airlines on this sector, TG is definitely in the red and what's more, their flights are not daily. To make matters worse, they have stopped their BKK-KIX-LAX altogether and threw all their eggs into the A345 ULH basket.

This is something which MAS should not be eventhinking about in their present state. Tackle the "snekboks" first, then we talk after that.

no laa MAS to busy with firefly... they too busy competing with AirAsia....

Edited by Min

I think, ICN would be a great idea if MH is keen about Skyteam. It's just that whether MH can secure a 5th freedom right in ICN or not for the service.

I hear ICN is very generous in giving out 5th freedom rights, just like AMS. Just whether MAS want to try it or not.

KUL-ICN-LAX? How about KUL-NRT-LAX (I think MH already had the right for this route from ages ago when they started LAX with the B743).

While the number of passengers between NRT/LAX have decreased dramatically after 9/11 and airlines had cut many flights between the cities, there are still many flights between NRT/LAX (1x daily JL744, 1x daily AA772, 1x daily NH77W, 1x daily UA772, 1x daily KE772, 1x daily SQ744, 1x daily NW744). A total of 7 flights a day. I don't think silly MAS will survive the stiff competition.

I hear ICN is very generous in giving out 5th freedom rights, just like AMS. Just whether MAS want to try it or not.

While the number of passengers between NRT/LAX have decreased dramatically after 9/11 and airlines had cut many flights between the cities, there are still many flights between NRT/LAX (1x daily JL744, 1x daily AA772, 1x daily NH77W, 1x daily UA772, 1x daily KE772, 1x daily SQ744, 1x daily NW744). A total of 7 flights a day. I don't think silly MAS will survive the stiff competition.

If I were IJ (ARMCHAIR CEO MODE.... ON!), re-routing their KUL-LAX flights via PVG could be an option. This is an opportunity to link 2 major commercial centers together. PVG is a high yielding destination and MAS has so far managed to maintain 777 services there, albeit 2 class. Gather some steam to garner more corporate accounts in PVG and LAX to justify daily KUL-PVG-LAX using the 3-class 747-400! Advertise the MH Campaign heavily (now only concentrated in Malaysia pulak!?) in Shanghai and LA.

I believe now PVG-LAX is only flown by MU (no fight with MH). Get the Malaysian government to relook into the ASA with China and see what can be developed out of that. Since MAS is so pally with Badawi and pals, do something with it! Reciprocal rights can be given to MU to fly out of KUL to god-knows-where... Johannesburg? Mauritius? Penang? Medan?

PVG is a high yielding destination and MAS has so far managed to maintain 777 services there, albeit 2 class.

Was on KUL/PVG/KUL during 3rd week of March, MH386/387 was A333. According to cc, load on this sector is pretty poor.

:drinks:

If I were IJ (ARMCHAIR CEO MODE.... ON!), re-routing their KUL-LAX flights via PVG could be an option.

I think this would be great. But doubt MAS will ever get it. Because it is such a prestigious route even US carriers have a hard time getting this golden sector. Anyways, didn't SIA try to lobby for SIN-PVG-LAX-PVG-SIN once ? I believe they were looking at switching the TPE 1-stop to PVG as SIA knew this route would have been cash cow for them.

Was on KUL/PVG/KUL during 3rd week of March, MH386/387 was A333. According to cc, load on this sector is pretty poor.

:drinks:

The cargo loads are very good on this sector which explains why the airbus is used for the night flight.

I noticed that KUL-PVG is pretty much a EQV route. This is a very high yielding destination and trust MH to royally screw this one up as well. I cannot even begin to explain how important is it to spread the word out there to the travelling public about the virtues of the airline especially to the MYRIAD of MNCs in Shanghai, Wuxi and Pudong.

SQ has managed to maintain PEK and PVG 3-class destinations as a testament to the fantastic yields that can be churned if you bothered to get the correct corporate contracts. Putting SQ aside, who is MH up aganist? China Eastern Airlines(MU)! Come one... don't tell me they cannot even put up a fight against MU?? Shanghai is developing at breadthtaking speeds with old buildings being torn down literally within hours and construction sites seemingly appearing overnight. The potential is just awesome fo MH to ride on.

Hello... Penerbangan Malaysia... Bangun ya?

If I were IJ (ARMCHAIR CEO MODE.... ON!), re-routing their KUL-LAX flights via PVG could be an option. This is an opportunity to link 2 major commercial centers together. PVG is a high yielding destination and MAS has so far managed to maintain 777 services there, albeit 2 class. Gather some steam to garner more corporate accounts in PVG and LAX to justify daily KUL-PVG-LAX using the 3-class 747-400! Advertise the MH Campaign heavily (now only concentrated in Malaysia pulak!?) in Shanghai and LA.

I believe now PVG-LAX is only flown by MU (no fight with MH). Get the Malaysian government to relook into the ASA with China and see what can be developed out of that. Since MAS is so pally with Badawi and pals, do something with it! Reciprocal rights can be given to MU to fly out of KUL to god-knows-where... Johannesburg? Mauritius? Penang? Medan?

Isn't this what Jet Airways is planning to do? Use PVG for transpacific west coast flights, hubbing there like what they're currently doing with BRU in Europe for their East Coast ops, they're apparently planning to serve SFO, LAX, YVR from PVG.

A quick google look up..

http://www.domain-b.com/aero/airlines/20080107_shanghai.html

http://airliners1.wordpress.com/2008/03/20...chinese-cities/

Back in my uni days I have friends who used MH to travel from the states and connect to India at KUL, I think in light of recent developments, MH might loose quite a few India bound passengers, so nice one jet air! This is an especially pressing matter since the low yield student market is what MH seem to be aiming for lately.. haha..

SQ seems to be realigning to stuff the low yield and aiming for the higher end market, this should give ample opportunity for MH to go for broke with their FSVC low cost spiel and take up the slack from SQ's realignment.

Edited by Mohd. Helmi

Sign in to follow this