MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sri Ramani K.

Malaysia Airlines to limit check-in luggage weight

KUALA LUMPUR, Sat.:

Malaysia Airlines will limit the weight of each check-in luggage to 32 kilogrammes for all classes of travel beginning next month.

Customers whose check-in luggage exceeds the stipulated weight limit will be required to re-pack their luggage into smaller units before they can check in, the airline said in a statement today.

The new rule is being introduced to reduce manual handling risks to employees and raise occupational health levels, the national carrier said.

“This new safety measure will reduce the exposure of our teams to manual handling injuries as a result from lifting extremely heavy luggage during check-in and at the baggage handling area,” said the airline’s senior general manager, airport operations, Yusop Jaridi.

A separate area will be set aside near the check-in counters to allow customers to re-pack their luggage during the first weeks of the ruling.

The weight limit relates only to single item of luggage and does not effect passengers’ overall baggage allowance, the airline said.

Excess baggage charges will still apply if the weight limit exceeds the class of travel, it said, adding currently on transatlantic flights, passengers are allowed two pieces of luggage, weighing 32 kilogrammes each.

The limit of 32 kilogrammes on each check-in luggage is fast becoming an internationally recognised standard.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sat...icle/index_html

any idea what's the current limit?

Taken from TheStar.com.my

Nation

Sunday February 24, 2008

32kg limit for each check-in luggage on MAS

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines will limit the weight of each check-in luggage to 32kg for all classes of travel beginning next month.

Customers whose check-in luggage exceeds the stipulated weight limit will be required to repack their luggage into smaller units before they can check in, the airline said in a statement yesterday.

The new rule is being introduced to reduce manual handling risks to employees and raise occupational health levels, the national carrier said.

“This new safety measure will reduce the exposure of our teams to manual handling injuries as a result of lifting extremely heavy luggage during check-in and at the baggage-handling area,” said the airline’s senior general manager of airport operations Yusop Jaridi.

The weight limit relates only to single items of luggage and does not affect passengers’ overall baggage allowance. – Bernama

well i guess they want to earn more $$$$ :unknw:

p/s: ops :sorry: my bad , posted things that had been posted ... :sorry: sorry sorry ....

Edited by Louis L.

in uk its 32kg max.. anything more than that, will not be handled by any loaders..

so lets say your bag weighs 40kg...will they tell you to pay excess charges on the extra 8 kilos...or will they deny it altogether?

so lets say your bag weighs 40kg...will they tell you to pay excess charges on the extra 8 kilos...or will they deny it altogether?

From my understanding, if your bag weights 40 kg, you need to take out 8 kg of stuff from the bag and put it somewhere else before the bag can be checked in, otherwise the loaders won't handle them.

On a separate case at the same time, if you are flying on economy class alone, which entitles you 20 kg of baggage allowance, you still need to pay for excess baggage charges for:

- 12 kg if you put the 8 kg you taken out earlier on your hand carry luggage or simply throw it away, OR

- 20 kg if you put the 8 kg you taken out earlier on another bag and checked it in too.

I am not sure how much MH charges per kg for excess baggage. Never exceed the baggage allowance I was given.

It has more to do with worker safety than any money making scheme.

In the UK and in many other countries, the industrial rule dictates that a manual worker is protected from manual handling (lifting, moving etc) of any single item weighing more than 32Kg. This is part of the worker workplace safety rules. All airlines including MH needs to comply or else the bags will not be put on the plane.

So airlines are required to ensure that any single checked-in bag weighs not more than 32Kg.

There is no limit to the number of bags per passenger. So if any one bag weighs more than 32Kg, Passengers are required to redistribute the items such that each bag does not weigh 32Kg.

The 25/30/35/40/45kg baggage allowances are for total weight of checked-in baggage and has no bearing on this. Excess baggage charges is for total weight of all check-in in excess of thie baggage allowance. each bag must not weigh more than 32Kg.

Airlines does not impose any extra charge for any weight in excess of 32Kg for each bag. They simply are not allowed to check it in.

Not everything has to be laced with bad intentions. This is to protect the worker from injury.

Edited by Mohd Saat

It has more to do with worker safety than any money making scheme.

In the UK and in many other countries, the industrial rule dictates that a manual worker is protected from manual handling (lifting, moving etc) of any single item weighing more than 32Kg. This is part of the worker workplace safety rules. All airlines including MH needs to comply or else the bags will not be put on the plane.

So airlines are required to ensure that any single checked-in bag weighs not more than 32Kg.

There is no limit to the number of bags per passenger. So if any one bag weighs more than 32Kg, Passengers are required to redistribute the items such that each bag does not weigh 32Kg.

The 25/30/35/40/45kg baggage allowances are for total weight of checked-in baggage and has no bearing on this. Excess baggage charges is for total weight of all check-in in excess of thie baggage allowance. each bag must not weigh more than 32Kg.

Airlines does not impose any extra charge for any weight in excess of 32Kg for each bag. They simply are not allowed to check it in.

Not everything has to be laced with bad intentions. This is to protect the worker from injury.

Thank you for the intelligent post. Luckily this came early in the topic otherwise there will, expectedly, be an avalanche of negative comments from the usual suspects.

The overhead compartment has a weight limit. This is to ensure it will not collapse in the event of a very heavy landing / incident or accident. The workers too need to be protected from injury as many passengers expect our young kebaya clad ladies to put their hand carried baggage in the overhead compartment.

Then there is the weight and balance issue. For load calculation, an assumed weight of 75 kg for adults is used and as we all know, the hand carried baggage is not weighed. If the average figure is busted due to the actual weight exceeding the assumed weight, there will be an effect on the aircraft performance.

Incidents/accidents happen as a result of many little things, and this can be one of them.

The new regulation to be implemented only addresses checked-in luggage, ensuring the check-in staff and baggage handlers safety at work. A step in the right direction

Carry on hand luggage however does not seem covered. So, my fellow pax could in theory still lug on their overly heavy blocks of lead in hand luggage within the regulatory dimensions, overload the overhead compartments and still endanger my personal safety :( ..... :)

I remember there were these "hand luggage sizer" with weighing scale incorporated placed near the check-in desks before. Very rarely used I assume, since the size/weight limitation on hand luggage seem rarely enforced, over here anyway

Further to my earlier posting, To/From North America, there is even a restriction of only a total of 2 bag allowed to be checked in with specific maximum dimenstion and each restricted by the max 32Kg ruling.

The hand luggage rule of 1 bag max 5Kg and specific dimension has bene in place for some time now, I believe. It is just that KUL has not been strictly enforcing it.

LHR strictly enforce the one bag, weight and dimension rule. So does many other airports.

Part of an internal communication.

All passengers will need to make sure that each bag that is checked-in weighs not more that the 32kgs. If this weight limit exceeds, passengers will be asked to repack their luggage into smaller units before they can proceed with the check-in process.

This maximum weight does not limit the overall baggage allowance that is given for the respective classes of travel. Our passengers will still need to adhere to the respective baggage allowance for their class of travel. Otherwise they will be subjected to excess baggage rates and the current excess luggage charges will apply. Those needing to check-in items that are heavier than 32kgs will need to send them as air cargo way ahead of their travel dates.

Further to my earlier posting, To/From North America, there is even a restriction of only a total of 2 bag allowed to be checked in with specific maximum dimenstion and each restricted by the max 32Kg ruling.

The hand luggage rule of 1 bag max 5Kg and specific dimension has bene in place for some time now, I believe. It is just that KUL has not been strictly enforcing it.

LHR strictly enforce the one bag, weight and dimension rule. So does many other airports.

Correct again. A case where privilege when extended continously is not appreciated and when deprived the reaction will be akin to a right.

To N America, Y pax will have free baggage allowance up to 64kg, but subject to the per-bag-limits that you described. It is good that MH has not adjusted this downloads as some airlines (I think KE?) have moved to restrict total allowance to the same as the rest of the world, i.e. 20kg.

At LHR (& MAN too), the one bag ruling has been changed as of Jan this year. It was rather silly anyway, especially when it was very strictly enforced. E.g. a ladies handbag and the usual-sized shopping bag count as two. Now it's one bag and one personal item (handbag, small computer bag, shopping bag etc)

So that pax can purchase duty free.

:drinks:

Sign in to follow this