MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

New Business Transformation Plan

Much have been said here about how MH only made its turnaround on a bailout and sale of assets. In due time (sooner than you think) the actual story regarding this will be made known.

By the way, for what's its worth, MH managed to maintain its 5 star status by the skin of its teeth today. More will be revealed soon, together with the BTP, but I'll let the newspapers be the carrier of that piece. Then I'll wait for expert opinion to peel it layer by layer by the 'usual suspects' here.

Sorry, posted this here;

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....ic=7791&hl=

Ok. Let's talk Financial health first. Finance is important because without money the Airline will plainly cease to exist, even with the newest aircraft and the best meals on board.

Very Simplified. ( My highest acedemic qualification is Grade 1 MCE )

2005 - Lost 1.3 Billion. ( Jan to Sep) At this rate MH would have RM0 cash by April 2006. Bailout would have been necessary at that stage to continue business. BTP1 was announced in Feb 2006 focusing on Financial Survival for 2006, Profit Generation 2007 and Sustainable Growth for 2008 and beyond.

2006 - Lost 136 million ( Oct to Sep)

However the Airline Experts here has said very clearly that the profits came from sale of assets and bailout funds.

Not entirely correct. ( Diplomacy at work)

1. There was no bailout, so concerned taxpayers need not worry.

2. Sale of Assets contributed RM375 million. This helped offset the one-off loss allocation ( OCT - DEC period ) of RM320million. The rest of the money that reduced the bleeding was from ;

a. Revenue/Yield Improvements

Yield 28% improvement from 20.5sen/RPK for 2005 to 26.3sen/RPK YTD 2007. Results; RM973 million for 2006, RM 1 Billion for 2007. One off gains from Asset sale not included.

b. Network Improvements.

This involves the cutting of unprofitable routes/ adding capacity to profitable ones, as well as the much criticized Hub and Spoke strategy.

c. Productivity Improvements

Manpower reduction by 15%

d. Cost reduction

RM665million through manpower productivity, inflight spending rationalisation, fuel efficiency, corporate sponsorship moritorium and other initiatives.

2007 - Made 610 million. ( target for 2007 - 50 million )

2008- later la.....

This is the MH Financial Blood trail;

In Million of Ringgits;

86/87 RM112

87/88 RM151

88/89 RM154

89/90 RM222

90/91 RM288

91/92 RM111

92/93 RM144

93/94 RM7

94/95 RM261

95/96 RM233

96/97 RM319

97/98 RM260 Loss

98/99 RM700 Loss

99/00 RM259 Loss

00/01 RM417 Loss

01/02 RM836 Loss

02/03 RM337

03/04 RM461

04/05 RM326

Dec05 RM1.7 Billion Annualised Loss

Dec06 RM136 Loss

YTD 07 RM 610 for 9 months.

New Aircraft

Of great interest here is the plans for new aircraft. A 5 year plan has been designed and details will be revealed soon.

Definitely there will be ;

Fleet size growth

Rationalised aircraft variety

Density increase in EY for seat cost reduction.

Fuel Efficien and more agile a/c type for Domestic ops

To own rather than lease core fleet for easier path to upgrade/sell/purchase

Tighten up a/c rollover transition

Upgrade of interior in the short term.

Order placement will be probably mid 2008.

Tis is a very very simple outline for now.

Is the time right for Smarter Management to replace the current Dinosaurs ( Dumbosaurus, Idioticaurus, Stupidoractyle etc...) so MH can be in better hands?

Let the Brickbats/Criticism/Cynicism/Pessimism flow freely......

The Star (Thursday January 31, 2008)

MAS can meet 5-star value carrier goal

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) believes it can achieve its ambition of becoming a “five-star value carrier” (FSVC) under its new business transformation plan (BTP) by making key changes to how it services its customers.

The national carrier will draw from the experiences of three international airlines, change the type of food it serves passengers and place more emphasis on Internet booking to become an FSVC.

MAS also believes the low labour cost in Malaysia, its reputation as a five-star airline and its ability to venture into maintenance, repair and overhaul business would give it a better starting advantage in becoming an FSVC.

“We will offer products and services that provide our customers with more value compared with those of our competitors,'' MAS said in its BTP. “Our target customers are those who want service excellence and quality, and do not make decisions solely on price.''

To become an FSVC, MAS intends to offer the products and services of a five-star airline but reduce costs so it can offer low fares as a value carrier.

MAS has forecast losing RM650mil to RM1bil in 2012 if it does not transform itself into an FSVC. It sees the operating conditions being hit by overcapacity and liberalisation if no changes are made to its business model.

While delivering such kind of value to travellers, MAS said that had to be matched by choices on how money was spent to ensure a decent return on every ringgit spent.

For example, MAS said modifications to hot meals on long-haul sectors had shown a preference for hot meals that cost less to prepare.

MAS said the light meal boxes served on short-haul sectors had also found a huge degree of acceptance among passengers and such boxed meals enable the airline to increase in-flight service efficiency, improve aircraft turnaround time and reduce overall in-flight costs.

“Sale of air tickets via the Internet plays a critical role in realising FSVC,'' MAS said, adding that together with the MAS Passenger Services System, operating costs would be substantially reduced.

MAS also said the concepts exposed in turning the airline into an FSVC had been successfully implemented in other international airlines.

MAS said Ireland's Aer Lingus had managed to dramatically cut costs by focusing on Internet sales, eliminating the business class and free food on short-haul flights and focusing on productivity to compete with low-cost carriers.

“Air Canada has been very vocal about how its model, focused on low costs and significant sources of protected revenue, delivers superior profit,'' MAS said.

The third example used by MAS was Chile's LAN, a regional airline that increased short-haul aircraft utilisation and the percentage of direct flights to nearly double its operating margin.

“MAS has the advantage of being in a better starting position than any of these carriers,'' the carrier said in its plan.

If MAS successfully transforms itself, it is projecting a net profit of between RM1.5bil to RM3bil by 2012

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My heart just sank after reading this :( (although I still hope I am jumping the gun).

Looks like sandwic is here to stay and long haul hot meal will receive makeover. For worse or better, is your guess.

To be benchmarked against and emulating " three international airlines" : Aer Lingus! LAN Chile! Air Canada!!!

Izanee, your prediction about MH transforming itself into Aer Lingus is spot on. You can get your brickbats ready, I'll just whimper away in resignation to the cold fact that MH will never relive its glory days.

My resolution NOT to fly any MH international route this year has been successful so far, and stronger than ever!

There will certainly be wrong moves in the process of business transformation. No plan is perfect. Somewhere something will be compromised. Even the admired one lost a widebody and a narrowbody in the last 10 years. There is only so many people the plan can appease. And after the major changes have borne fruit, I'm very sure the little big things will be attended to.

Until such time, exercise your choice, and if eventually that is the choice of the majority, it will affect the bottom line, which will speak the loudest, and MH will have no choice but to revert to what the market wants, be it snekboks or sanwic.

Very Simplified. ( My highest acedemic qualification is Grade 1 MCE )

1. There was no bailout, so concerned taxpayers need not worry.

Are you (a) joking, or (B) on drugs, or © really think that fools populate this forum? It does seem to suggest that you think many of us are quite gullible, and despite you trying to project a modest image (who cares what you got for your MCE when you have a great profitable track record at Charters...this is akin to asking the late Lim Goh Tong to go back to school as he has no SPM), you actually have a low opinion on some of us. Giving you the benefit of doubt, I take it that you were just pulling our legs.

"Bailouts" can be creatively disguised in many forms (ask those folks at the investment banks, they are good at this). No, there won't be direct cash hand-outs, if that is what you define as "bail-outs."

Here are some examples of "non-bail-out" bailouts:

(1) Sale of buildings (Sultan Ismail HQ, academy) to EPF and PNB. So-called right pocket to left pocket. Public funds used. Maybe it was at arms-length, maybe not, but one can certainly argue that the funds used to acquire the buildings could have found better investments elsewhere.

(2) RM650 million went from PMB (which means Khazanah, which in turn means rakyat's money) to MH for the early termination of the domestic business unbundling agreement, in mid-2006. This is a creative way to transfer monies from public coffers.

(3) 418m shares of a rights issue, in early 2007. Easier to do now that PMB is majority shareholder. Definitely be fully subscribed as MH largely nationalised now, with realtively very little free float in public hands. This means Gov agencies (rakyat's $$) pump more $$ into MH.

(4) Another 418m of redeemable convertibel pref shares, issued together with the above rights issue. More rakyat $$$$$.

Other smaller hand-outs happen everyday. Cash rich gov companies, e.g. petronas, have to pay published fares or close to such fares, for staff travel and MH is the first priority, even if there are other airlines offering lower fares or more direct routings. So, money transfers from one to the other.

I agree with you Mushrif, I always cringe and resent at the amount of money my department (goverment agency) pays for a near full econ/biz fare for my travels, obtained via a travel agent. Directive stipulates that only allowed to use other airlines when there is no direct MH route, and have to write letter to apply and justify why not flying MH, which I have done a few times recently, rather pleasurably too...

However many sponsored travellers just accept whatever price and service hurled at them without batting an eyelid, as it is free (not really, it's TAXPAYER's money!) after all...

Given the capacity crunch, the lack of airline choice in KLIA, non-flexibility and urgency of business travel, many a times there is no choice at all, one is forced to fly MH - the unwilling customer. It would be interesting to know what proportion of customer is truly willing, esp front cabin on domestic routes. My observation, but maybe wrong, domestic biz mainly filled by govt servants on duty on morning and evening flights

Are you (a) joking, or (B) on drugs, or © really think that fools populate this forum? It does seem to suggest that you think many of us are quite gullible, and despite you trying to project a modest image (who cares what you got for your MCE when you have a great profitable track record at Charters...this is akin to asking the late Lim Goh Tong to go back to school as he has no SPM), you actually have a low opinion on some of us. Giving you the benefit of doubt, I take it that you were just pulling our legs.

"Bailouts" can be creatively disguised in many forms (ask those folks at the investment banks, they are good at this). No, there won't be direct cash hand-outs, if that is what you define as "bail-outs."

Here are some examples of "non-bail-out" bailouts:

(1) Sale of buildings (Sultan Ismail HQ, academy) to EPF and PNB. So-called right pocket to left pocket. Public funds used. Maybe it was at arms-length, maybe not, but one can certainly argue that the funds used to acquire the buildings could have found better investments elsewhere.

(2) RM650 million went from PMB (which means Khazanah, which in turn means rakyat's money) to MH for the early termination of the domestic business unbundling agreement, in mid-2006. This is a creative way to transfer monies from public coffers.

(3) 418m shares of a rights issue, in early 2007. Easier to do now that PMB is majority shareholder. Definitely be fully subscribed as MH largely nationalised now, with realtively very little free float in public hands. This means Gov agencies (rakyat's $$) pump more $$ into MH.

(4) Another 418m of redeemable convertibel pref shares, issued together with the above rights issue. More rakyat $$$$$.

Other smaller hand-outs happen everyday. Cash rich gov companies, e.g. petronas, have to pay published fares or close to such fares, for staff travel and MH is the first priority, even if there are other airlines offering lower fares or more direct routings. So, money transfers from one to the other.

Maybe I'm naive as I have limited understanding of all these rights issues and redeemable shares etc etc. My dealings are straightforward cash transactions with pricing based on cost and market price.

While a small number of posts here are downright silly, and some do have good argument, but what is consistent is that the posts are always accompanied by spattering of insults, which are direct in nature, and a good chance this style will never be delivered on a face to face basis. Is it really necessary to start of your good argument that way?

Your first sentence already says it all. Then you continued to make assumptions of what I think about the population of the forum.

My posts listed out the MH declared financial outlook easily available to all. Discounting your assumption about my opinion, am I telling a lie? Are my bosses telling a lie to me and the other 16,000 employees of MH? If MH MD knows this, how far down the line do as well? And how does this benefit him and his team when he could easily get a better deal with Shell, his old company? If we remove the asset sale gains and Government travel contracts would the turnaround result in an even bigger loss?

If you are right, how long can this hole be covered? When will this bubble of lies eventually burst?

On the subject of Government travel, are you aware that the biggest bulk, ie the Military movements between East and West was residing with AK over the last 7 years?

Chill man, I'm not your adversary here so you don't have to make assumptions of my opinion on this forum. Come to TT Friday and you'll see for yourself.

ASSUME

Making an ASS of U and ME :D

Maybe I'm naive as I have limited understanding of all these rights issues and redeemable shares etc etc. My dealings are straightforward cash transactions with pricing based on cost and market price.

While a small number of posts here are downright silly, and some do have good argument, but what is consistent is that the posts are always accompanied by spattering of insults, which are direct in nature, and a good chance this style will never be delivered on a face to face basis. Is it really necessary to start of your good argument that way?

Your first sentence already says it all. Then you continued to make assumptions of what I think about the population of the forum.

My posts listed out the MH declared financial outlook easily available to all. Discounting your assumption about my opinion, am I telling a lie? Are my bosses telling a lie to me and the other 16,000 employees of MH? If MH MD knows this, how far down the line do as well? And how does this benefit him and his team when he could easily get a better deal with Shell, his old company? If we remove the asset sale gains and Government travel contracts would the turnaround result in an even bigger loss?

If you are right, how long can this hole be covered? When will this bubble of lies eventually burst?

On the subject of Government travel, are you aware that the biggest bulk, ie the Military movements between East and West was residing with AK over the last 7 years?

Chill man, I'm not your adversary here so you don't have to make assumptions of my opinion on this forum. Come to TT Friday and you'll see for yourself.

ASSUME

Making an ASS of U and ME :D

Well in my first sentence, I gave you three options, and of the three, I assumed you must be kidding when you stressed (in bold) that there were no bail-outs. Also, I gave you the benefit of doubt as I shouldn't be reading too deep into faceless writings. ("I am angry" written in an email versus saying "I am angry" whilst smiling ear to ear)

Answering your question further, you were not telling a lie, but seeemed to have been mis-led when you said there were no bail-outs. And, yes, it is mis-leading to say that there were no bail-outs , especially when it happened right under your very nose - I have made explicit some instances when and how the taxpayers money were used to pump more cash into MH through creative corporate finance.

And the amounts we are talking here made that AK military contract look like child's play. No bubbles will burst as there are no web of lies, but taxpayers money did move into MH coffers - not via briefcases of cold cash - but disguised through complex transactions so that average folks will not bat an eyelid.

It is something like saying "Lingam did not call me on my phone - I have never received calls from Lingam on my phone". What is not said is that I may have always called Lingam using my friend's phone. Does the job.

I'm not saying these were all wrong as I personally believe that MH needs to be resuscitated, and it really belongs to all M'sian. As I had mentioned in another topic, MH was way undercapitalised to be able to cope with its size & operations - this was even before TR came into the picture in mid-90s. There were attempts of a rights issue then, but timing was just horrible as the Asian crisis set in. But it is grossly incorrect to say that there were no bail-outs after the recent string of major losses that you made explicit in your post.

And just ignore my assumptions. Like I said, you're doing alright with your little Charters empire.

To note that MAS benchmarks itself with the likes of LAN, Aer Lingus and Air Canada is laughable. I had thought that MAS, with its fabled 5 bintang bergemerlipan would benchmark itself with likewise receipients of such.

Good luck!

MAS To Finalise Purchase Of New Aircraft By End Of Q1

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 31 (Bernama) -- Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) aims to finalise its needs for wide- and narrow-bodied aircraft by the end of the first quarter this year.

"The national carrier has not decided whether they (the aircraft) will be Airbus or Boeing," MAS managing director, Datuk Idris Jala said at the launch of its Business Transformation Plan here today.

As a preparation to purchase new aircraft, MAS undertook a rights issue and redeemable convertible preference shares exercise to partially raise fund to the tune of RM1.5 billion in 2007.

The fund, together with its cash balance, will enable MAS to finance the aircraft acquisition.

As for the Airbus A380 aircraft, MAS' executive director/chief financial officer, Tengku Azmil Zahruddin said, "We are still talking. Progress is not as good."

He, however, said MAS would definitely ask for compensation.

-- BERNAMA

Well in my first sentence, I gave you three options, and of the three, I assumed you must be kidding when you stressed (in bold) that there were no bail-outs. Also, I gave you the benefit of doubt as I shouldn't be reading too deep into faceless writings. ("I am angry" written in an email versus saying "I am angry" whilst smiling ear to ear)

Answering your question further, you were not telling a lie, but seeemed to have been mis-led when you said there were no bail-outs. And, yes, it is mis-leading to say that there were no bail-outs , especially when it happened right under your very nose - I have made explicit some instances when and how the taxpayers money were used to pump more cash into MH through creative corporate finance.

And the amounts we are talking here made that AK military contract look like child's play. No bubbles will burst as there are no web of lies, but taxpayers money did move into MH coffers - not via briefcases of cold cash - but disguised through complex transactions so that average folks will not bat an eyelid.

It is something like saying "Lingam did not call me on my phone - I have never received calls from Lingam on my phone". What is not said is that I may have always called Lingam using my friend's phone. Does the job.

I'm not saying these were all wrong as I personally believe that MH needs to be resuscitated, and it really belongs to all M'sian. As I had mentioned in another topic, MH was way undercapitalised to be able to cope with its size & operations - this was even before TR came into the picture in mid-90s. There were attempts of a rights issue then, but timing was just horrible as the Asian crisis set in. But it is grossly incorrect to say that there were no bail-outs after the recent string of major losses that you made explicit in your post.

And just ignore my assumptions. Like I said, you're doing alright with your little Charters empire.

OK then.

Guess I'm not worthy of such deep discussions on the finer points of Big Time business so I'll stick to the pleasurable task of running my little RM200 million Charters, keeping my 150 part time Flight Attendants fed and posting happy news about the Charter Flights that we have operated.

Edited by Nik H.

Mushrif, you hit the nail on the head. This is what I don't like about Capt Nik's posts. He gets upset when we make general comments about MAS but keeps giving sly, underhand remarks about our posts AND thinks that we are STUPID.

Bailout is a bailout whatever form it takes. Increasing yield by increasing fares is also another form of con. We expect five star services (as advertised) when we pay through our noses but we only get 3 star service. Of course the customer is NOT forced to fly MAS and can choose whatever airline he/she wants to fly - but telling them to piss off if they don't like MAS is not the way to treat a customer.

I guess I was right when I said MAS was following the Aer Lingus model - the one that got it kicked out of OW alliance. Aer Lingus is involved in a huge fight with Ryanair from its Dublin base - a fight that it is losing. I'm afraid we can't help but to compare with MAS and AK's fight in KUL. AS mentioned before, even SQ (the MOST profitable airline in the world) decided to join an alliance - what hope do we have going it alone? Don't even think of comparing with EK.

IJ&Co have decided to benchmark against Three star airlines like LAN, Air canada and Aer Lingus. FSVC - FFS???

I rest my case. The 'usual suspects' expected this story from the BTP; and we have it!

BC Tam,

I am moving from that lovely speciality to cardiothoracics! been there, done that, can't stand it!

I think everyone needs to sit down and chillout..

No need to compare the size of egos here... I've been reading this and it's gone way overboard..

Izanee & Mushrif, you make good points, and Capt Nik, It is good to see your replies.. but leave the personal attacks out of it. We're getting nowhere here...

The decisions made at MAS by their management and how we feel about them will always be a possible issue of contention, but we wait and see what happens. Captain Nik, I think no one here claims to be a professional on the matter, and we take delight in reading your professional insight, however, please do not mistake ideas and suggestions mooted here by our forum members as gospel - they are merely educated guesses, people throwing their ideas into the wind - simply because unlike MAS management, we don't have to be responsible for the consequences of implementing those decisions - we are free in a way and perhaps some of the time, that means we possibly think a little more "outside the box" - but from a knowledgeable perspective such as yours, these ideas may seem WAAAAYYY outside the box.

So i do emplore everyone here to settle down. I would love to attend the TT session and discuss how things are at MAS, but I personally (like lots of other members here) am not presently in town.

Do continue to share and please provide us with as much constructive criticism of our ideas/notions/thoughts on MAS when you can and of course within reason without getting yourself in too much trouble.

To the guys at MalaysianWings - this has always been a great place for the sharing of knowledge and ideas - don't get frustrated when your ideas are challenged and don't use negative reinforcement - this problem has been growing over the last year and well, let's just not go down that road!

We're here for the passion of aviation and to grow our passion on both a national and international level!

PEACE!

thank you sandeep for your post. at the end of the day, we are not here to make enemies. its just a forum for discussion. I am not an expert and NEVER claimed to be one - we all come from diverse fields. i agree the posts have become personal and for that, i apologise. But i am not taking back the rest of what i said!

comments are welcome.

OK then.

Guess I'm not worthy of such deep discussions on the finer points of Big Time business so I'll stick to the pleasurable task of running my little RM200 million Charters, keeping my 150 part time Flight Attendants fed and posting happy news about the Charter Flights that we have operated.

Now, now...don't go sulking away, and limit yourself to just your Charters topics, which I must say, I am quite fascinated with the insights that you have shared with us.

You have your views, and it's quite expected that you, being part of the folks running the show, defend some, if not all, aspects of MH's mngt, which some of us here may have issues with. For instance, it is a paradox that whilst harping on being part of a small illustrious group of 5-star airlines and "allegedly" offering 5-star service, the mngt wants to emulate AC, Aer Lingus etc who are nowhere near being 5-star. Maybe, real 5-star service at LCC cost (and value fares) is an oxymoron that can never be achieved in reality. But, we can agree to disagree.

I'm still hoping that you give an insight on MAStar BBJ - if this was part of your little empire, and if you had to make a business case for it, after the BBJ had been bought. I'm sure many here would love to know re the BBJ too. I had always suspected that the BBJ was bought not for commercial reasons but was parked within MH's books, and somebody had to create some business reason for its existence. But I may be wrong, and this may be off-topic or not to be discussed in a public forum.

Anyway, back to BTP2....MH's CFO said discussions on the A380 "was not so good". Airbus recently revealed the future deliveries of the A380, and the earliest MH will receive its A380 (if at all) will have to be in 2010 after Korean Air's. Airbus did not exactly say MH after KE, but the delivery list disclosed stopped with KE in yr 2010.

Now, now...don't go sulking away, and limit yourself to just your Charters topics, which I must say, I am quite fascinated with the insights that you have shared with us.

You have your views, and it's quite expected that you, being part of the folks running the show, defend some, if not all, aspects of MH's mngt, which some of us here may have issues with. For instance, it is a paradox that whilst harping on being part of a small illustrious group of 5-star airlines and "allegedly" offering 5-star service, the mngt wants to emulate AC, Aer Lingus etc who are nowhere near being 5-star. Maybe, real 5-star service at LCC cost (and value fares) is an oxymoron that can never be achieved in reality. But, we can agree to disagree.

I'm still hoping that you give an insight on MAStar BBJ - if this was part of your little empire, and if you had to make a business case for it, after the BBJ had been bought. I'm sure many here would love to know re the BBJ too. I had always suspected that the BBJ was bought not for commercial reasons but was parked within MH's books, and somebody had to create some business reason for its existence. But I may be wrong, and this may be off-topic or not to be discussed in a public forum.

Anyway, back to BTP2....MH's CFO said discussions on the A380 "was not so good". Airbus recently revealed the future deliveries of the A380, and the earliest MH will receive its A380 (if at all) will have to be in 2010 after Korean Air's. Airbus did not exactly say MH after KE, but the delivery list disclosed stopped with KE in yr 2010.

Aaaaa, yes, the joy of internet protection.....bash, imply, allude, assume, belittle then patronise. Then take advantage of short memory span of the readers.

No worries la...I've been raised on a steady diet of this behavioural trait. But at least these people delivered it on a face to face basis.

BTW, anyone from MW for TT tomorrow?

Again the management had delayed the fleet renewal...and it's no suprise at all. It's like an empty talk, in my opinion MH isnt going anyway with such plan. I am sory to say that we no longer has a product that is more superior than others.

this thread is getting more interesting by the minute. as promised, i won't be personal. It is really sad to see MAS go down the road of FSVC (which I think is somewhere between premium carriers and LCC). MAS had great potential. Survival is important but saving a few million ringgit on food is not going to change much especially if the esteemed 'top management' of MAS talk about half a billion to a billion ringgit profit.

fine - do whatever you want to the routes; don't join an alliance; fly via tashkent; buy an A380 or swap it for 200 ATRs; use tatty A330s...whatever. who cares?

just don't give out the snackbox/sandwic and dish out cheap crap to people in the name of cost cutting. THAT IS NOT the place to cut cost. inflight service should remain how it used to be. that's how i remember MAS by....

this thread is getting more interesting by the minute. as promised, i won't be personal. It is really sad to see MAS go down the road of FSVC (which I think is somewhere between premium carriers and LCC). MAS had great potential. Survival is important but saving a few million ringgit on food is not going to change much especially if the esteemed 'top management' of MAS talk about half a billion to a billion ringgit profit.

fine - do whatever you want to the routes; don't join an alliance; fly via tashkent; buy an A380 or swap it for 200 ATRs; use tatty A330s...whatever. who cares?

just don't give out the snackbox/sandwic and dish out cheap crap to people in the name of cost cutting. THAT IS NOT the place to cut cost. inflight service should remain how it used to be. that's how i remember MAS by....

Good opinion.

I have my own stand but my actual battles are to be fought in the boardroom of MAS, not in this Forum. There is certainly divided opinion amongst the Management personnel on many issues,(which is good) and a truly prudent personnel will put forward his conviction there after which a consensus is normally reached. The personnel may still not agree but he has to comply and carry on with the decision.

He/she cannot then go out on his own and belittle or condemn the decision of which he/she is a part of, though not necessarily agree to, on a website where the vast majority of the members care more about the color scheme of an airliner or the beauty of a hard to get shot of an airplane.

This is, after all, a website for members who loves the beauty and romance of aviation, the experience of the sights and sound that accompanies a flying experience.

The silent majority surfs this site for interesting pictures, trip reports, unusual aviation trivia and will skip such serious discussions that focuses on subjects of angst that is repeatedly posted by the vocal opinionated few frequently on topics that has little link to the subject matter.

In the meantime, I'll continue to contribute within the boundaries of the original intent of the website and steer away from deflecting negative opinion by serial 'criticisers'.

Coming Soon; Trip Report on a VVIP Medivac MasCharter Flight, Bejing to Haneda.

BTW, anyone from MW for TT tomorrow?

Would love to, but at EHAM at present :sorry:

However, hope to meet you end of June 2008, when visiting Malaysia for MW's 3rd Anniversary !!! :pardon:

Mushrif,

This is your chance, man: go for it !!! :yahoo:

Of course - you are the guy who can make a difference in reality Capt Nik. You have the experience and the position to try and make a difference. We can't always win....that's very very true. I think since I have achieved my 'gold' status, I can stop ranting now.

Anyways - looking forward to the VVIP trip report, as always!