MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Airbus Says Ready To Deliver A380 To MAS By 2009

November 16, 2007 18:55 PM

Airbus Says Ready To Deliver A380 To MAS By 2009

By D. Arul Rajoo

BANGKOK, Nov 16 (Bernama) -- Airbus said today it is ready to deliver the A380 superjumbo aircraft by 2009 to Malaysia Airlines, a two-year delay from the original delivery date.

Its chief operating officer for customers, John Leahy, said MAS has indicated it will continue with its purchase of the aircraft but no time frame has been set yet for the new delivery date.

"We are discussing with them on the compensation and the new delivery date, which was initially thought to be by 2011 or 2012. We can actually deliver to them with just two years' delay from the original date," he said after briefing the media on Airbus' business plan on the sidelines of the 51st Assembly of Presidents of the Asia Pacific Airlines Association here.

"It's up to them when they want the aircraft," he added.

MAS had ordered six Airbus A380 valued at US$1.8 billion at list price with the first delivery to have been in early 2007.

Asked if MAS has indicated ordering more A380s, Leahy said there is a possibility but nothing has been finalised so far.

MAS managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Idris Jala, when met at the meeting, said nothing has been finalised yet but indicated that MAS will continue with the purchase despite reports that the order will be cancelled due to the long delay.

He said the actual date of delivery will be clear by the middle of next year.

If the purchase goes through, Jala said, MAS will probably use the aircraft for long haul and to serve congested airports like Heathrow in London.

Singapore Airlines became the first commercial user of the airline recently, with flights to Australia.

Leahy said the European manufacturer, which suffered two years of delay in building and delivering the A380, has firm orders for 193 A380 aircraft from 17 customers worldwide, including 21 firm orders and 16 commitments this year.

"A380 is the magnet to attract passengers. Singapore Airlines is pulling passengers from other airlines and getting cost efficiency," he said.

Asked about the huge orders from Middle East airlines, including 58 from Emirates, Leahy said there is big potential in that region due to the connections to 2.5 billion people within five hours flying time and five billion people within nine hours.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=296689

Im confuse with what IJ had just said...he previously quoted that MH doesnt need a juubo jet like B747-400s and now he ended up saying that MH may need the A380s for congested airport like LHR.

MAS first 2 380's will be cn 018 and cn 024 with initial reg. F-WWSO and F-WWSU armed with 4 RR Trent 970 engines

First 3 SUPPOSED to be delivered in 08 , but should be one year later now

MAS first 2 380's will be cn 018 and cn 024 with initial reg. F-WWSO and F-WWSU armed with 4 RR Trent 970 engines

First 3 SUPPOSED to be delivered in 08 , but should be one year later now

Anybody have any idea on how their cabin and seating configuration will be like?

How is the 'old' configuration? It is more like SQ's (F and Y in maindeck, J and Y in upperdeck) or more like TG's (Y in maindeck, F and J in upperdeck)? An info on the number of seats in each classes would be very much appreciated.

dont cancel laaa the a380... how to compete with our neighbor?cant wait for the arrival of MAS' A380 to KLIA
yes, competing with other airlines is one thing... making sure there's enough load for the A380 is another story.. . :) Edited by Dennis S.

dont cancel laaa the a380... how to compete with our neighbor?

cant wait for the arrival of MAS' A380 to KLIA

To compete with SQ, A380 alone is not enough. MAS has to try to target the right market and adjust its level of services. CX, for example, has yet to order the A380 and they found other ways to compete with other airlines. Do you prefer to fly A380 with a snackbox or B77W with hot meals and free playing cards?

Im confuse with what IJ had just said...he previously quoted that MH doesnt need a jumbo jet like B747-400s and now he ended up saying that MH may need the A380s for congested airport like LHR.

Government's order. As I always predicted. Well looks like they are going to have it anyway. As a passenger, I would be very happy to fly it. But I am not sure how it is going to be financed (tax payers' money? - PMB) or whether it will contribute significant economic benefits to MH's operation or not.

MAS To Unveil New Five-year Plan In January

By D. Arul Rajoo

BANGKOK, Nov 17 (Bernama) -- After almost two years piloting Malaysia Airlines from the brink of collapse, Malaysia Airlines (MAS) Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Datuk Seri Idris Jala said he would now unveil a new five-year business transformation plan in January.

His plan -- To transform MAS into a five-star airline at low-cost carrier (LCC) cost.

Idris said the plan would provide clear idea on the direction the national carrier would be heading as it faces intense competition and challenges, ranging from threat from LCC and high jet oil price.

"We want to transform our services into a five star at LCC cost. We want to reduce cost but maintain our quality service," he said in an interview on the sideline of the 51st Assembly of President of the Asia Pacific Airlines Association here.

The Sarawakian said MAS could look ahead with new strategic plan following the successful implementation of the business turnaround plan that he introduced after taking over the country's hottest corporate seat on Dec 1, 2005.

MAS, which had been in the red since the late 90s financial crisis, registered net profit of RM245.5 million in the first half year ended June 30, against a loss of RM498.2 million a year earlier, with revenue rising to RM7.18 billion from RM6.05 billion previously.

Idris, who was recruited from Shell Malaysia following his remarkable turnaround record involving the Sri Lankan petroleum industry a few years ago, declined to reveal the details of the plan but hinted that it would involve also purchase of new planes to beef up MAS' current fleet of 89 jets.

"Obviously it will involve purchase of new planes and replace older ones. We are in the mid of finalising our requirement for both narrow and wide body aircrafts. We have received bids from Airbus and Boeing and we have asked them to provide us with delivery schedules," said Idris.

Under the new business plan and with new aircrafts, the airline would be in better position to serve its destinations and clients, adding that unprofitable routes had been cut during the rationalisation process and almost all current routes are making money.

On its wholly owned subsidiary Firefly, seen by many as MAS' answer to the region's top LCC, Air Asia, Idris said he was surprised with customer support and at the speed the staff were able to operate the new entity which started operation in Penang in April.

"We were cautious when we first started Firefly and wanted to go slow first. We have ordered 10 ATR with 74 seater, one coming soon and three more in 2008," he added.

He said Firefly expects better response with its flights from Subang, taking passengers to Penang and soon to Langkawi and Kota Baharu, adding that they are waiting for Government's approval for its request to fly to Singapore following the decision to allow LCCs to operate the profitable route.

Asked about his two year helm at the airline, the 48-year-old Idris said he has no regrets taking over the post.

"I have no regret taking this job...I am happy. But there is a lot to do and we have a long way to go," he said.

Idris, who was once described by Second Finance Minister Tan Sri Nor Mohamed Yakcop as the best CEO that money can buy, attributed MAS' strong comeback to the tremendous support he received from the staff and union.

"I won't be able to achieve this turnaround without support from the staff and union. They are good people and stayed focus and united in my two years here. I am impressed with their team work and calibre."

Idris said MAS' employees was its biggest asset and that he knew it from the beginning as the airline has been winning international awards for many years, including the World's Best Cabin Staff award at the World Airlines Award 2007 and Asia's Leading Business Class Airline.

-- BERNAMA

From my opinion, some of MH staff always goyang kaki (no work to do). I think DSIJ better offer VSS to that staff..

In this month, MH offer VSS for MAS Catering (Sky Chef) in Penang. They want to stop about 25 staff. I think this is one effect since MH introduced meal box.

To compete with SQ, A380 alone is not enough. MAS has to try to target the right market and adjust its level of services. CX, for example, has yet to order the A380 and they found other ways to compete with other airlines. Do you prefer to fly A380 with a snackbox or B77W with hot meals and free playing cards?

wait.. let me think...<_< (after 1 ns)... i will go for the B77W with hot meals and freebies... :yahoo:

I wonder how he implement the sytem of 5 star airline with KCC concept, withoiut affacting the service. That's only a way of marketing skills to buy the customer's heart. We have to bear in mind that not only the passengers are affected but so as the staff's morale too. MH is far far behind many carriers like ThAI, Cathay Pacific, Emirates and Singapore Airlines etc which they had consisnetly improved theirs' product. Think of what had MH done in the last few months? Deteriorating in the product and service offered ....thats what i see.

As a pax, the service and price is more important to me, than the plane. Ivan you got it right!

Most economy class passengers do not know which aircraft they fly in or how old are they. For most of them, the right pricing and service is more important than the type of aircrafts, hence the popularity of AirAsia. If Idris Jala is smart, he would defer the A380 and use their resources to improve the services and keep their loyal passengers at their bay.

There's no point having huge passenger plane if you can't fill it up. Having smaller aircrafts is easier to fill up and cost less to maintain, hence profitability is easier to achieve. A380 is a necessity in some airlines and markets, but we are yet to see if it has a place in MH.

Ordering only six of these super jumbo makes sense to me actually, put the competition thingy aside, A380 is proven to be more efficient and have lower CASM than the current jumbo. This will basically bring in more Revenue per flight due to the cost saving on the operational efficiency provided by the A380.

Snackbox on the A380? It's a bit over guys, i bet you won't see A380 serving routes lesser than 4hrs. Thou i do understand that their long haul catering still way to be improved. ;)

my 2 cent ;)

Edited by Kevin Teh

Well probably not snackbox, but please the catering in long haul is no better either. I took MH not so long ago from KUL to MEL and they gave one lunch and snacks. The snacks consist of cold hard sandwich and the lunch consist of nasi lemak. The nasi lemak wasn't great though, even AK made better nasi lemak. There's no menu either, it's displayed on the TV screen. Their hot towel is really crap too, it's paper towel.

SQ gave me menu in economy class and no cold hard sandwich. They usually have good, if not great, meal for economy class. Not to mention a real towel.

A380 can provide lower CASM and higher revenue given that it is filled with passengers. If MH can't fill it in, then it will be pretty much useless.

Yes I agreed...and we know MH loading has been consider low comparing with our neighbourhood airlines. I believe either they are not persuavive enough in the marketing skills or their fares are simply too expensive.

Edited by Kenneth T

think only the major trunk route like LHR and AMS, especially AMS. They are doing very good now with the jumbo, and will be better with the A380. Having 2 A380 rotating on the AMS route, 2 on the LHR, 2 on kangaroo routes, that's it.

That's why i said ordering six makes sense, we're not ordering more than that and have them sitting on the tarmac doing nothing now :D Now, phase out the Jumbo gradually..... ;)

I do agree with Kenneth that their marketing needs to be improved as well, besides the inflight catering ;)

MH should have a more persuasive marketing team, just for example, the BKI-HKG-BKI route, the flight load use to be low on off peak..comparing to the Dragon Air which sometimes use A330s and even 2 A320s flight aday to cater for such needs. MH is nt being very responsive to the needs of the customers. Take for examle BKI-HKG-BKI sector again, and for years they dont even borther to upgrade to wide body airraft such as A330s and B777-200s even during schoolo holidays. So if the flight is full then it's full, this is what i call a self contention. Has they ever realise that the oportunity that had lost here?

Sign in to follow this