MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Malaysian Athletes To Be Flown Directly To Korat

October 10, 2007 23:24 PM

Malaysian Athletes To Be Flown Directly To Korat

PUTRAJAYA, Oct 10 (Bernama) -- Malaysian athletes competing in the SEA Games will be flown by special chartered flights directly to Korat, Thailand instead of flying to Bangkok and travelling overland to Games' venue.

Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said said a direct flight would only take about two hours whereas the overland journey from Bangkok to Korat at a distance of 273km alone takes more than three hours.

She said the National Sports Council and National Sports Institute would discuss with AirAsia on the arrangements to the transport the athletes.

"The chartered flights will cut down the duration of the journey and reduce fatigue by avoiding travel through Bangkok," she told reporters after a meeting with Malaysia's Chef-de-Mission to the Games Datuk Zainal Ahmad here today.

Malaysia is sending 734 athletes to take part in 271 events in the biennial event.

However, she said the ministry would have to apply to the Thai aviation authorities to allow the flights to land at Nakhon Ratchasima airport, situated about 26km from Korat.

Meanwhile, Azalina reminded the national athletes to be disciplined and refrain from any immoral activities during the Games, which will be held at three cities - Korat, Bangkok and Pattaya.

On Malaysia's medal hopes, she said the ministry would announce Malaysia's target after the Aidilfitri. Malaysia bagged 61 gold at the 2005 SEA Games in Manila.

Azalina will be assisted by two assistants, Zaiton Othman and Ng Chin Chai.

-- BERNAMA

So it is AK to ferry alot of ppl, eg Atheletes and Army... and MH for the ministers....

So it is AK to ferry alot of ppl, eg Atheletes and Army... and MH for the ministers....

so true LOL :rofl: :rofl: :help: :help:

Malaysia is sending 734 athletes to take part in 271 events in the biennial event.

Malaysia Airlines is sending 734 for the atheletes... They sound pretty close, huh?

everytime i travel between kul-bki sector...quite frequent i'm in a plane more than half filled with ATM....something that made me envy is that there are served with food on board..unlike us..we need to pay :p ...

but in my mind at that time was like : " shouldn't be goverment employee or goverment affliated employee or what so ever should hitch their ride on board MAS???" :p ......

maybe they just want to cut cost

BUt for this SEA games thing is concern, wow....ak will be having the business... :yahoo:

and MAS??? :p

hahah..somehow i think good ol' tony is very good friends with the higher ups in the government - look at how they handled the RAS scandal.

- i'm not surprised if AK becomes the FLAG CARRIER for Malaysia.

everytime i travel between kul-bki sector...quite frequent i'm in a plane more than half filled with ATM....something that made me envy is that there are served with food on board..unlike us..we need to pay :p ...

but in my mind at that time was like : " shouldn't be goverment employee or goverment affliated employee or what so ever should hitch their ride on board MAS???" :p ......

maybe they just want to cut cost

BUt for this SEA games thing is concern, wow....ak will be having the business... :yahoo:

and MAS??? :p

I wonder why can't the RMAF just fly them in the C130?

I wonder why can't the RMAF just fly them in the C130?

maybe it will cost more :pardon: ... :p

btw..it is a gud thing also.....by doing that, ak got more business

but i still dun understand y the malaysian atheletes will be flown by ak...not to be offending or wat...i like ak more than mh...

maybe ak serve hot meal during flight...but mh don;t :p

9 cent

*OT* Army used to use Feri Malaysia when it used to ply Peninsular-Sabah & Sarawak eons ago. Was supposed to be a niche travel mode for regular pax but was not so successful. If only such a service exist today. A good alternative to flying for liesure travel.

i think there's a of double standard here....i remember one case early September when Malaysian team for 2007 Special Olympics World Summer Games bound for Shanghai received a half fare offer from RBA when local agencies/company refused to sponsor their expenses...even Youth and Sport Minister Datuk Azalina mentioned that they cant do anything and has no fund for them....but for Sea Games..boleh pulak tolong....

FYI: Malaysian team won 4 gold medals in Shanghai...congrats!!

Not to be confused with Paralympic..Special Olympic Games is a games for intellectual disabilities..it is held every year...

Sign in to follow this