MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Min Chun

Decision On MAS 737-400 Replacement Before Year En

Decision On MAS 737-400 Replacement Before Year End

October 05, 2005 17:41 PM

From Mohd Arshi Daud

SEATTLE, Oct 5 (Bernama) -- A decision on the replacement of Malaysia Airline System Bhd's (MAS) existing Boeing 737 fleet, previously targeted for September, is now expected to be made before the end of the year.

"Most recent indications are that there may be a decision later in 2005," Boeing Commercial Airplanes' manager of International & Sales Communications Bob Saling said Wednesday. dry.gif

Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd, the parent company of MAS, planned to replace the airline's 39 units of 11-year-old 737-400 with more efficient aircraft as a measure to counter rising fuel and maintenance costs.

The single aisle aircraft being considered for the fleet renewal exercise are Boeing 737-800 and the Airbus 320.

But recently, MAS chairman Datuk Munir Majid said the national carrier might review its aircraft purchase as part of a bigger restructuring plan aimed at generating RM1 billion profit after five years.

"Discussions are ongoing as we work with PMB and MAS to identify the best matches to MAS' fleet replacement and growth plans," Saling told Bernama on the sidelines of Boeing's Asia Pacific Media Tour here.

As for the number of new aircraft involved in the discussion, he said: "This is probably best addressed by MAS, but indications are that the requirement is for between 45 and 60 airplanes."

Saling is keeping his fingers crossed for Boeing's chances of winning the contract as the 737 is known for its high efficiency, high utilisation, high reliability and lower operating cost compared with the A320. smile.gif cool.gif

Boeing is believed to have submitted an attractive pricing to beat its rival, Airbus, which had two years ago won a deal to supply its super-jumbo A380 planes for US$1.62 billion in all.

Source : Bernama.com

It has been reported that the MAS 737-400 fleet replacement exercise would cost up to US$2.57 billion on catalogue prices.

Edited by Min Chun

Yet another prediction for MH, similar to the wavelengths of Indian aviation !!

Lets hope its something worth it for MH this time, and for real too.

What do you guys think ?

All B738/9 or A320 ?? Or a mixture of some B787 and B773ER/B772LR ?

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

i would like it to be 737's with drop down LCDS!!!! Cos AirAsia have a320's already and MH should get something diffrent lor. So not boring always go on A320, then sometimes can hop on 733, then 738

well if they continue with the fleet restructuring, maybe along with these 738/739's we MH could get a few 747ADV 787 or 773ERs? wouldnt all that be a spotters dream at KLIA?

mmmmmmmmm

i heard from my friend.. who has another friend ( hope not confusing) working in MAS said.. MAS MAY BE buying 787 as well.. so fingers-crossed.. i like 787.. but will they change their mind to 350 if they really intend to purchase new aircrafts for this range..

i would like it to be 737's with drop down LCDS!!!!

9376[/snapback]

PTV with AVOD in every seats would be even better tongue.gif

ooo...787 better!

Yeah, especially for MAS, the 358 is a bit too big i think and MAS really need an aircraft something like the 763. I hope MAS will order both 738 & 787 tongue.gif

With the 783, they can return all their 332 (even the 783 is a bit smaller), which i think is so not suitable for MAS, not the aircraft is too big, but the seating configuration, way too many premium seats.

ooo...787 better! I dun like Airbus..and the blue cockpit!

9707[/snapback]

what blue cockpit? unsure.gif

Yeah, especially for MAS, the 358 is a bit too big i think and MAS really need an aircraft something like the 763. I hope MAS will order both 738 & 787  tongue.gif 

With the 783, they can return all their 332 (even the 783 is a bit smaller), which i think is so not suitable for MAS, not the aircraft is too big, but the seating configuration, way too many premium seats.

9874[/snapback]

Isaac, getting the numbers a bit mixed up, are you?

PTV with AVOD in every seats would be even better  tongue.gif

Yeah, especially for MAS, the 358 is a bit too big i think and MAS really need an aircraft something like the 763. I hope MAS will order both 738 & 787  tongue.gif 

9874[/snapback]

Isaac, I agree with u..

Guest Fendy

MH will get what suits them best and is most practical, definately not solely to be different from AK, or to please us spotters.

If they need something different and as domestic flights may be reduced; As a local - regional frequent business traveller , I would prefer that they would opt for 787s in the long run. After all, I'm sure the cost/km is better (higher YIELD), more comfortable - wide body particularly for key domestic routes such as BKI, KCH, PEN and later perhaps LGK, JHB, KBR and TGG.....etc. as well. At least twice daily - for business meeting purposes.

The narrow bodied should be minimal order, only for extremly low demand routes like regional MES,PADANG, CEB and AOR, KUA, and off peak JHB, LGK, KBR...etc.

Personally, For narrow body category, I prefer the airbuses (321/320/319/318). Because: -

1 Quicker turn around - cargo / luggage in Pallets

2 Wider cabin - wider aisle and wider seats

3 Newer design ; Airbuses (from late 1980s) compared to 737s (late 1960s)

But for the B787 - A350 category, the boeing is better, fresh and new design. The A350 is something like an improvement from A330.

^^Phew.....and here I thought I was the only one who's pro-A32X.....Cant comment on the technical bits but from a pax's point of view, the A320 family wins hands down in terms of cabin ambience and comfort

But for the B787 - A350 category, the boeing is better, fresh and new design. The A350 is something like an improvement from A330.

10038[/snapback]

Indeed the A350 is just an improved A330 with new packaging. At least the 787 has a new look for commercial jets, rather beneficial to spotters as well tongue.gif

Sign in to follow this