MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

AK's priority boarding policy

I had taken two flights with AK yesterday and today, one on KBR-KUL, another KUL-JHB to come back here at UTM. At the boarding process I have noted that, apart the Airbus 320 that's now serving KBR, the priority boarding no longer given to those with minors - instead only those with xpress boarding and seniors above 65 years old.

It has to be stressed that on both sectors there were quite a sizeable count of minors.

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed before but is this having to do with the xpress boarding??

i guess not as they still do have limited number of allocation for xpress boarding per flight. they can't satisfy too many people i guess as the ultimate aim is to fly. no open tickets and you're confirmed a seat, so i guess it doesn't matter whether you board in first or last.

2 cents.

The only form of priority boarding is Xpress boarding, according to a call centre agent when I booked Xpress boarding. Senior citizens who do not pay for Xpress boarding are given priority ahead of the general queue but after Xpress boarding pass holders.

Elderly Guest of 65 years old and above will be given priority to board without paying any additional charge after XPRESS BOARDING pass holders but before the general queue. Guests who wish to accompany elderly guests have to purchase XPRESS BOARDING.

I personally think Xpress boarding is good value. For just a token amount you get to board first and get a seat in row 1, and not have to queue/wrestle at the boarding gate.

They seem to have discounted Xpress boarding for travel within Peninsular Malaysia. It was MYR20 when I booked it, now it's MYR10.

I wrote to them suggesting Xpress check-in, but somehow I doubt it'd fly due to the need to staff an additional check in counter.

Edited by Keith T

I had taken two flights with AK yesterday and today, one on KBR-KUL, another KUL-JHB to come back here at UTM. At the boarding process I have noted that, apart the Airbus 320 that's now serving KBR, the priority boarding no longer given to those with minors - instead only those with xpress boarding and seniors above 65 years old.

It has to be stressed that on both sectors there were quite a sizeable count of minors.

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed before but is this having to do with the xpress boarding??

That was exactly what happened when my family traveled to MYY last week. Only my father (68 years old) could board first. My mother, wife and kids, had to board with the general public.

Anyone know what's the situation when the aircraft is parked at a remote stand and you catch the bus to the aircraft? I mean, do pax with express boarding go through the gate first .. only to get on the bus .. and then it's still a mad rush from the bus to the aircraft? :lol:

We're discussing about AK here. So, fundamental flaw in your query - what bus ?! :(

Ok, I was referring to Air Asia Thailand. The 4 times I've flown with them, their aircraft were parked at remote stands where we caught a bus from the terminal to where the aircraft was parked. It's that bus I'm referring to. :)

I've just booked another flight with Air Asia Thailand and paid the extra 200 baht for priority boarding .. so I'd like to know whether it was worth it or not. There's no point paying 200 baht if all it means is I get to board the bus before everyone else. It will still be a mad rush for everyone from the bus to board the plane.

Guest Fendy

personally im not going to pay a single cent just so i can get on a plane before someone else. why would i want to pay and board first and sit down in a narrow near claustraphobic plane with a sea of people walking past me and bumping into my seat?

i will board last thank you, its not like the plane is going anywhere without me.

The last time I flew out of Miri, I was worried that I may not get a window seat as there were some 60-70 people in front of me already queing up at the gates. Upon boarding I did manage to get a window seat and there were plenty left. I think there really is no reason to get priority boarding just for a window seat as there are plenty in a A320.

Ok, I was referring to Air Asia Thailand. :)

Ah, my apologies then ! :)

Seems I had my 'frog under coconut shell' mode on then !

Ah, my apologies then ! :)

Seems I had my 'frog under coconut shell' mode on then !

No worries ... cheers! :drinks:

i also wont be paying for that Xpress boarding...you can actually sit at the chair and wait till everyone are done at the gate then only go there. maybe you wont get a nice seat but at least u r seated at the plane(best for single traveller) and when u arrive and disembark the plane,just relax and sit at ur seat till almost everyone is out of the aircraft. you dun need to rush since ur luggage wont be out so fast .....so sit back and relax and enjoy the moment in the aircraft(for those who love aircraft)..... ^_^

I like the bulkhead aisle seat specifically - only 2 of those. So Xpress boarding helps. :)

I also like to get off asap as I spend enough time in flying buses as it is...

Edited by Keith T

Later when everybody pay for the Xpress Boarding, sure AK will introduce Super Xpres Boarding

Later when everybody pay for the Xpress Boarding, sure AK will introduce Super Xpres Boarding

Xpress boarding is only applicable for the first 30 passengers or so who applied for it. So the XB will not be overcrowded as there wont issue XB after they hit 30 passengers.

Sign in to follow this