MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Isaac

Your Frequent Flyer Programs

I noticed that there is no expiry date for BA Executive Club but there must be at least one activity every 3 years in order to keep your account active. Is the same T&C apply for Cathay Pacific Asia Miles ?

I do have an Asia Miles account ... I actually applied for BA Executive Club (considering i might fly with them down under via SIN later this year) but i got the Asia Miles card instead (it's about this dual-membership stuff between Executive Club and Asia Miles).

The plan now is to have only THREE frequent flyer programs. One each for SkyTeam, Star Alliance & OneWorld.

For SkyTeam it's either NWA WorldPerks or Continental OnePass. Currently is NWA WorldPerks but will decide whether to move to Continental OnePass or not next year. I think i am going to join Lufthansa Miles & More for Star Alliance.

By the way Keith, is AA AAdvantage any good ?

What are your flying patterns going to be? That'd answer a lot of questions in itself. :)

I strongly suggest concentrating on 2 FFPs/alliances at the most - 3 sounds like you're putting your eggs in too many baskets. Identify the airlines you'd be flying with most often, and focus on the 2 alliances you'd be spending more time on.

If you're looking at OnePass, I recommend joining Flyertalk and researching on the CO forum there. They have an official OnePass liaisons who's a CO staff member hired just to take care of Flyertalkers.

Also, as you're based in Asia/Pacific - BA will not allow you to join its mileage program. You can become a member of the BAEC, but you can only use it for status. Status miles on BA is like SQ PPS - you have to spend on the expensive fare buckets to get status. For award mileage you'll be automatically enrolled in Asia Miles. And that of course - comes with the Asia Miles expiry policy which will see your miles expiring after 36 months activity or not. Asia Miles service is also pretty poor unless you've got CX Marco Polo Club status.

So for oneworld, I'd reccommend AAdvantage. Generous earn/burn rates. Get this - a MEL-LHR return on QF J using AAdvantage requires LESS miles than upgrading a Y ticket to J for the same return journey on QF points!! Also, amongst the major oneworld carriers - AA is the only carrier that does not charge ANY fuel surcharges. I paid only 43 dollars of tax for my MEL-xHKG-NRT award on QF/CX J using AA miles - I'd have paid in excess of 250 bucks if I'd used QF points and a whole lot more points too.

However - like I said it all really depends on ur flying pattern. AAdvantage is probably not such a good idea for the deepest discount fares, and you earn no miles on CX at all unless in YBH. But for me it suits as I buy BA Y+ and oneworld RTW J tickets.

Edited by Keith T

At one time, MH's Enrich used to calculate their 'miles' based on kilometers. When they made the switch to miles, it took more miles to earn something meaningful. I wish they would have non-expiring miles as it seems to take forever to get the cheapest travel reward, i.e. upgrade to business class for sectors less than 500 miles.

Edited by Rozhan

Good Guess :) Although i will probably do it the same day....

That'd mean an unearthly omg-o'clock wake up call seeing that you'd pretty much have to catch the first flight in the morning at either city. :blink:

I'm in 6 I think...

VS Flying Club - I have never used this one as yet.

Virgin America's - I plan to head to the states next year

Asia Miles - Cathay and One World, though this one isn't that great because not all classes of QF or even CX will get you miles. Gotta be careful when booking I have noticed with this. But it's my main One World Link.

Enrich - I travel to Malaysia frequently and also internally I try and take MAS over Air Asia. It's better to get miles than not to in the end I see it as.

KrisFlyer - The Bulk of my points have gone in here. Recently used an upgrade reward to go Penang - Sydney in Raffles and boy was that unforgettable

Velocity Rewards - My preferred carrier (except Sydney - Canberra... QF is fastest) inside Australia and New Zealand, since they have EK as a member.

I would use Velocity over Enrich when I travel MAS international (which should be soon) but Enrich internally because the lower classes don't get miles on Velocity. I'm thinking of joining the Frequent Flyer one from Qantas as I take them more than I do Virgin. I have bank points that I can use to redeem the fee...

I have found out it's nicer dealing with Krisflyer over Asia Miles as they have a log of the actual ticket. With Asia Miles I had to send in the thing and still they didn't believe me.

Alex.

Asia Miles - Cathay and One World, though this one isn't that great because not all classes of QF or even CX will get you miles. Gotta be careful when booking I have noticed with this. But it's my main One World Link.

If you want oneworld status you need to join Marco Polo Club as well.

You will also have access to the Club hotline which will make it easier to deal with Asia Miles.

I'm thinking of joining the Frequent Flyer one from Qantas as I take them more than I do Virgin. I have bank points that I can use to redeem the fee...

Unless you have lots of credit card points to funnel over to QFF, AAdvantage is actually a better-value FFP for oneworld. QFF points have an advantage in that they can be used to upgrade QFF flights, but it can be cheaper to buy a QF J award outright with AA miles. Plus you won't be charged fuel surcharges for redeeming awards using AA miles.

Yeah, thats the downside :(

I will do 2 returns from KUL.

i.e. KUL-SIN-KUL-SIN-KUL

That'd mean an unearthly omg-o'clock wake up call seeing that you'd pretty much have to catch the first flight in the morning at either city. :blink:

nice.....here mine, couple of miles only :pardon:

Enrich

Skywards>>>considering share with my dad since Emirates promotion one family one card!

Continental One pass(Skyteam)

British Airways(One World)

Lufthansa(Star Alliance)

Yeah, thats the downside :(

I will do 2 returns from KUL.

i.e. KUL-SIN-KUL-SIN-KUL

And I suppose your VS segments on the RTW are going to VS yea?

Hi Keith,

Yep. In fact all my segments are going to VS... Including my MH ones. As if i dont put the MH ones with the VS Flying Club account i won't have enough tier points to go for gold with just 2 returns on the SIN run. Would love to put the MH ones in my enrich account though, can't do both!

Cheers,

K.

And I suppose your VS segments on the RTW are going to VS yea?

Guest Fendy

not sure how is it now, but what are the requirements to qualify for enrich silver?

you need 25000 miles.

i did syd-kul-lhr-kul-syd in business D class and got silver.

But silver is nothing special!

not sure how is it now, but what are the requirements to qualify for enrich silver?

you need 25000 miles.

yea, use it for phone check-in and golden club queue (whenever u travel economy and economy check-in queue is super long)...

that's about it i guess.

Hi,

True. I actually travelled in Y for SYD-KUL but the check in was so empty i was at the Y class check in! So i didn't use it. And i didn't even use the phone check in.

yea, use it for phone check-in and golden club queue (whenever u travel economy and economy check-in queue is super long)...

that's about it i guess.

Mine are...

MH-Enrich

- so far enough mileage to get to most Asean cities

EK-Skywards

- so far enough mileage for DXB to MCT/BAH/DOH/DMM rtn

KL-FlyingBlue

- a bit more to qualify for intra-europe flights

CX-AsiaMiles

- originally planned to use it on CX/JL for KUL-NRT trip but flew MH instead

- will use it for KUL-CDG trip on GF this Sept

Guest Fendy
you need 25000 miles.

25000 :o

and i take it thats 25000 in premium class? i'll be blue forever!

i missed the cut for gold last time around by about 2000km

Hi,

Nope i think MAS changed the rules so that even Y class miles counts towards status :)

25000 :o

and i take it thats 25000 in premium class? i'll be blue forever!

i missed the cut for gold last time around by about 2000km