MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sri Ramani K.

Now, everyone can fly, including the disabled

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sun...icle/index_html

PUTRAJAYA: AirAsia has lived up to its tagline "Now Everyone Can Fly" with the introduction of several facilities for disabled travellers.

AirAsia chief executive Datuk Tony Fernandes yesterday launched the facilities, including ambu-lifts and special aisle wheelchairs, for passengers requiring assistance at its low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT).

The budget airline had set aside RM6 million for the purchase of the equipment.

For a start, two ambu-lifts will be used at its terminals in Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu to enable the disabled to board the plane without having to be carried by ground staff.

Other terminals will feature similar amenities within four months.

All new planes will be equipped with the aisle wheelchairs so that the disabled can move around on board.

As a mark of further co-operation between AirAsia and the disabled community, the airline will also hire handicapped people to work at its guest services counters and call centres.

"What we can do for them, we will do and what we cannot do, we will pass to Malaysia Airports Holding Berhad (MAHB).

"We will try to do our best for them.

"For totally immobile passengers, we are working with engineers so that they can be helped.

"However, it is important that they give us at least three hours notice so that we can change the seats for them."

Fernandes launched the facilities, together with Barrier-Free Environment and Accessible Transport Group (Beat) members, including co-ordinator Christine Lee and her assistant Peter Tan.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy recently issued a directive to AirAsia and MAHB after complaints from wheelchair-bound passengers that the low-cost carrier had refused to accommodate them on its flights.

On June 15, Beat members had staged a protest at the terminal over the airline’s refusal to accept passengers requiring special assistance.

The group called on the airline to provide facilities for passengers who were immobile and those with limited mobility and for MAHB to ensure all existing and new airports were equipped with facilities for the disabled.

Fernandes had denied that the airline turned away wheelchair-bound passengers, saying ground staff would take such passengers to the aircraft and carry them on board.

He said they were not even charged and there was certainly no discrimination against them as all they had to do was to inform AirAsia in advance of the assistance they needed.

On another matter, Fernandes said AirAsia had submitted a request to the government, requesting limited access into Singapore, which is two flights a day.

"What is good for Malaysia is not protection.

"Since AirAsia came along, Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has got a lot better.

"My view on protection is well known," he said.

MAS managing director Datuk Idris Jala had said that they were against the idea of allowing limited flights by low-cost carriers to Singapore, saying that MAS needed time to get back on its feet.

On AirAsia’s plan to refund passengers who were delayed by at least two hours, Fernandes said the mechanics for this were being worked out.

Edited by Sri Ramani K.

This is a good move that attracts goodwill amongst the physically challenged. Everybody will get old one day, and perhaps will become dependant on others. It is heartening to note that society still cares.

How does the lifts look like i wonder.... claps for AK... hope these facilities will be available in KCH soon =)

I believe this is the same group that championed the rights of the physically-challenged against RapidKL bus recently.

Now where is the Welfare Minister?

Shouldn't it be the airport operator's (ie. MAHB) responsibility to furnish such facilities as an "ambu-lift" ? Wonder what they will do at non-aerobridge equipped airports then ? Come to think of it, are there many, if any, airports in My that is non-aerobridge equipped nowadays ?

Shouldn't it be the airport operator's (ie. MAHB) responsibility to furnish such facilities as an "ambu-lift" ? Wonder what they will do at non-aerobridge equipped airports then ? Come to think of it, are there many, if any, airports in My that is non-aerobridge equipped nowadays ?

I thought it's the responsibility of MAHB as well, by the way AK is really fast at responding to this issue but are thye still charging extra for such service? :rolleyes:

AK should be the model for most of the companies in Malaysia, fast response & actions ! This is the way of doing bussiness nowadays if u want to be successful.

Try KLIA website, click on the customer feedback button and wait, see what will happen..... (although they claim they will response within 5 working days)

Finally some show of care for passengers rather than more ways to increase profit..good move..

Sorry, just a sidetrack. AirAsia has revamped its website. It looks fresher now. I like it. It notes that AirAsia X is going to Gold Coast soon. Huh? I thought Melbourne :( I wanna fly cheap to Malaysia, and I am in melbourne now. :(