MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

Qantas unveils A380 cabins, and Premium Economy product

Pics: http://www.smh.com.au/ftimages/2007/07/24/1185043079124.html

Article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/new-logo-n...5043075260.html

Looks pretty awesome!

And Premium Economy is truly premium, unlike on BA where it's just a bigger seat. :good:

Apart from a bigger and comfier seat, QF Y+ will offer extra niceties such as Rockpool menus, Marc Newson-designed cutlery, crockery and glassware, and premium wines.

All classes will feature in-seat internet access and power outlets for laptops.

First looks like a dramatic improvement.

J gets a facelift with a real flat Skybed instead of a Skyslope.

Self-serve bars in both Premium Economy and Economy.

Config : Upper deck: 72J/32Y+; Lower deck: 14F/332Y

Premium Economy will also be featured in 744s from Feb 2008 - once they introduce this service out of MEL I no longer have to go over to SYD to pick up the BA flights! :good:

Edited by Keith T

Urmm.. a slight protest... No footrest (or legrest?) for economy class?... only in premium econ and up?

edit: And regarding the new logo, the so called 'contemporary' design still not so 'contemporary' enough. I still believe that they can design better. so for now, i'm stick with the current logo...

Edited by Yusoff

I don't believe there's enough room for a leg rest. As for a foot rest, I've always found that it's more a hindrance than anything when flying SQ - it keeps digging into my shins.

And anyway there's a need to differentiate Y and Y+, JMO. :)

And anyway there's a need to differentiate Y and Y+, JMO. :)

It's either Y+ or J- if you ask me :)

Sounds a heck more appealing than "somewhere between econ and business" or "aspiring business" :D

Really nice ! The flight bar is very well-designed.

I noticed QF have chosen the SA/LA-kind of true flat bed. The design of the Skybed on A380 looks identical to QF current Skybed. Will QF make the current Skybed on their 333, 744 & soon the 332 fully flat as well ?

Edited by Isaac

Believe Premium Economy is the current trend for long haul and MH should introduce on A380.

Back a year ago, I believe MH said sumthing about Premium economy, but I guess it was scrapped.

Those are very nice cabin, but the biz class looks a bit weird.

Back a year ago, I believe MH said sumthing about Premium economy, but I guess it was scrapped.

If my memory serves me correctly, MAS 380 is supposed to come with the Premium Economy Product (that also if MAS take theirs this decade).

Qantas unveils A380 interior, updated logo

Wednesday July 25, 2007

Qantas unveiled a radical overhaul of its international long-haul inflight product ahead of the delivery of its first A380 in August 2008.

A new premium economy class featuring 42-in. pitch, a new Panasonic IFE system, enhanced connectivity in all cabins and upgraded lie-flat business class beds are the main features of a makeover that will be offered on the A380s and QF's 747-400s starting in February.

The carrier will configure its A380s with just 450 seats--14 first class "suites," 72 business, 32 premium economy and 332 economy. First and economy (3-4-3) will be on the lower deck with business (2-2-2) and premium economy (2-3-2) on the upper deck.

The A380 will feature self-service bars and lounges in first and business classes, a self-service bar in premium economy and four such bars in coach. All classes will have wireless connectivity, in-seat e-mail, Internet, telephone and SMS along with in-seat power, USB and R145 ports.

On the 747-400, premium economy will be on the main deck in a 2-4-2 configuration, which is how business class started when QF pioneered it in 1979. The airline will open dedicated business class lounges in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane by the middle of next year.

QF also unveiled a sleeker, updated version of its iconic kangaroo logo, which it said "is a great fit for the tail of the A380 and other new-generation aircraft." :blink:

Found a website which gives a better view of the new products, and the new fabrics for the existing products:

http://www.samchuiphotos.com/QFnew/QFnew.html

All pics copyright of Sam Chui, so please link to the website instead of directly to the pics if you're intending to share the pics with anyone else.

Off-Topic: I always love his photos. artistically beautiful. and hell of a great job he has...

Edited by Yusoff

A report from business traveller - http://www.businesstraveller.com/default.a...mp;LS=EMS135203

So much more room on the A380 - Y class seat pitch is still 31' :angry:

What's the legroom though?

And don't forget - they used up lots of space for Premium Economy (42" is an industry first - as big as BA cradle J when it was launched in 1996!), and the lounge for J. Who knows about the longevity of niceties like the J lounge and bars though - they might go in favour of more seats like what happened to piano bars on the early 747s.

I note that QF has less seats than competitors, 450 compared to 476 on SQ and 538 on AF. Looks like my fears about longer boarding times, longer queues etc are invalid. :drinks:

What's the legroom though?

31 inches. No better then what they have already and not enough for anybody quite tall - esp for long hall flights :angry: :angry:

31 inches.

That's seat pitch. Even if the pitch is identical, legroom can be rather different.

31 inches. No better then what they have already and not enough for anybody quite tall - esp for long hall flights :angry: :angry:

Legroom & seat pitch are two different things. Seat pitch refers to the distance the seats are placed together. While the amount of legroom (or some people call kneeroom) very much depends on the thickness of the seat cushion. For example, LX 320 (Swiss A320-200). Original capacity was 162 seats. Then they introduced a much thinner seat (made by Recaro) then the previous one. They were able to add one more row of seat in the A320-200. Of course the seat pitch will be tighter but the legroom remain the **same (thanks to the smart design by Recaro).

**certain rows have more legroom now. In the original configuration more than 10 rows of front seats (the rows with convertible seats) had more legroom than those in the back (34" vs 30"-31").

Thanks for the link of Sam's series of QF new seats ! ;)

Still think the old kangaroo looks nicer than the new one, and................where is the golden lining at the tail ? :blink:

IMHO, that made the difference !!! :pardon:

Sign in to follow this