MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin Lau

RBA making a come back to KCH

BI will make a comeback to KCH this Nov with a thrice weekly flights from BWN :yahoo:

RBA to resume Kuching sector in November

By Alexius Barieng

KUCHING: Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) has revealed that Royal Brunei Airlines (RBA) would resume flights to Kuching in November after an absence of nearly a decade.

According to STB’s marketing manager, Mary Wan Mering, the introduction of the Brunei carrier was also expected to boost tourist arrivals in the State, especially from Australia and North Asia.

The airline is set to fly the Bandar Seri Begawan-Kuching route three times a week, starting Nov 1.

“We regard Bandar Seri Begawan as a very important hub for us (because) RBA flies a lot to Korea, Japan, China and Hong Kong. When (tourists from these countries) come to Brunei we want to tap (them) out from there … so this (could be regarded) as one of our hubs,” she told reporters at the Sarawak Tourism Complex here, yesterday.

Mary explained that although RBA has promised three flights a week to Kuching International Airport, the airline has yet to confirm what days it would be flying here, or whether it would use Airbus or Boeing aircraft.

She, however, pointed out that the flights would involve overnight stays in Kuching, where the planes would arrive in the evening and fly out to Brunei the following morning.

“It would be very good for us (as) it would bring in arrivals from the North Asian destinations into Kuching direct by RBA, rather than (spending) overnight in Kota Kinabalu or Kuala Lumpur and then coming back to Kuching, which is inconvenient for a lot of tourists.”

Meanwhile, STB expects tourist arrivals from Australia to increase by 15 per cent next year, as a result of RBA’s Bandar Seri Begawan - Kuching flights.

“Right now the arrivals from the Australia number about 20,000 (annually). We hope that with the three flights coming in … we can increase our arrival (figures) by 15 per cent, from the Australian and New Zealand market.”

STB also hoped to start its marketing efforts with RBA, in the Australian market, as Mary pointed out that the airline had “very good access” to that country’s five major cities.

“We want to work with RBA and wherever destination they fly to, we will be with them; together with them marketing. We will start with the Australian market first, if the flights come true…before moving to the other markets,” she said, adding that after Australia, STB’s marketing efforts with RBA would focus on the North Asian and European markets.

She also pointed out that STB was looking at creating a “total Borneo package” - combining Sabah, Brunei and Sarawak as one tourism package - for the Australian market, as this was what the market has always requested.

“Hopefully, we would have the Australian market because Australians tend to stay very, very long (and) so we want to combine Sarawak, Brunei and Sabah so that it would be a total Borneo destination.”

News Source

Very happy to hear that BI is making a come back to KCH... I hope KCH will have more airlines serving us soon. :clapping: :yahoo:

From Star online

Royal Brunei set to fly to Sarawak

KUCHING: Royal Brunei Airlines will start flying to Sarawak in November, raising expectations of increased tourist arrivals to the state, particularly from Australia and northern Asia.

Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) marketing manager Mary Wan Mering said the airline would fly thrice weekly from Bandar Seri Begawan to Kuching beginning Nov 1.

“We regard Bandar Seri Begawan as an important hub for us because Royal Brunei flies a lot to South Korea, Japan, China and Hong Kong,” she said.

She added that STB would team up with Royal Brunei to market the new flights at the airline’s various destinations, starting with Australia.

She said Sarawak currently received about 20,000 tourists from Australia.

Edited by Edwin Lau

Thats music to my ears, and a good b'day present to me too!!! Delta very itchy :p

Iggy must be preparing his cam to get some shots of it....

But according to news I think BI is comin during night time.

Iggy must be preparing his cam to get some shots of it....

But according to news I think BI is comin during night time.

It also mentioned it will be a nitestop ekekek.. so leaving at around 7-8am is not a problemo kekeke... Edwin, join me la :yahoo:

waah..good news for kch spotters.

now if only Batavia bring their bus hehe :drinks:

waah..good news for kch spotters.

now if only Batavia bring their bus hehe :drinks:

I believe one day they will send their busses here, i'm sure of it kekeke, even sending one of their 73's will suffice kekeke :rolleyes:

wow...got new stuffs to wallap!

back to the old days...at least the new terminal is made used!

Any news on this? It is almost November now. Checked the RBA website, there is no mention of resuming flights to KCH. Also their B777-200ER's, aren't they supposed to enter service on the second half of 2007?!

Newest news RBA will commence flight to KCH on Dec 1

Shauqi said with Royal Brunei Airline resuming its Kuching-Bandar Seri Begawan service on Dec 1, MAS expected stiff competition as both airlines served similar long-haul destinations.

Thanks for the info! ;)

I also found out the schedule is now available from amadeus. Nothing from the RBA website though.

BWN-KCH

Days : Mon, Fri & Sat

Flight No : BI857

Departure from BWN : 2155

Arrival at KCH: 2310

KCH-BWN

Days : Tue, Sat & Sun

Flight No : BI858

Departure from KCH : 0745

Arrival at BWN : 0900

Good news! The timing is a bit odd, but the schedule does provide same day connections to most RBA destinations such as Shanghai, Perth, Brisbane, Auckland, Sydney, Dubai and London, although layover in BWN can be quite long (particularly for Dubai and London)....

Edited by H C Chai

RBA style, night stop their aircraft at other airport. anyway, Iggy, you got to wake up earlier ya. :rofl:

"parking" overnite at other airport... isnt that more expensive in terms of operating cost?

"parking" overnite at other airport... isnt that more expensive in terms of operating cost?

They are Bruneians. What do they care about cost and such? Hehehheeh.

In a different light, it provides everyone from KCH with better connectivity to get elsewhere ex-BWN on their swanky little airline. Similarly if anyone were to fly to Australia, it's better to do it on Royal Brunei ex-BWN, not AirAsiaX ex-KUL -- from my base here in BKI.... :rolleyes:

Not if you can fill your planes better this way with connecting (and more income generating) passengers, like Ewan also confirms :pardon:

Not if you can fill your planes better this way with connecting (and more income generating) passengers, like Ewan also confirms :pardon:

OT a bit: How's MI success rate like so far, to connect passengers via Changi thru MI/SQ ex-KCH/BKI? Though no much people that I talk to seems to know that MI flies to KCH/BKI... not to mention competitive price for further connecting SQ/MI flights thru Changi.

Somemore SQ/MI online booking cannot book flights departing from KCH/BKI... Have to go thru agents to book MI+ connecting SQ flights ex-KCH/BKI. Seriously doubt SQ/MI forgot to update their online booking... not unless there's some sort of rule to this ?

A quick check at RBA website, its possible to book flights ex-KCH/BKI online ?! duh...

I remember SQ was quite competitve back in 2001 when SQ still flies to KCH/BKI...

Edited by Dennis S.

OT a bit: How's MI success rate like so far, to connect passengers via Changi thru MI/SQ ex-KCH/BKI? Though no much people that I talk to seems to know that MI flies to KCH/BKI... not to mention competitive price for further connecting SQ/MI flights thru Changi.

Somemore SQ/MI online booking cannot book flights departing from KCH/BKI... Have to go thru agents to book MI+ connecting SQ flights ex-KCH/BKI. Seriously doubt SQ/MI forgot to update their online booking... not unless there's some sort of rule to this ?

A quick check at RBA website, its possible to book flights ex-KCH/BKI online ?! duh...

I remember SQ was quite competitve back in 2001 when SQ still flies to KCH/BKI...

I have only used MI once to KCH, it was part of the LHR-SIN-KCH vv ticket bought via SQ. The load was rather light on SIN-KCH but OK on the KCH-SIN leg. I didn't recall seeing many Malaysians onboard. Most passengers are made up of Chinese tourist/workers from the mainland (interesting), Westerners and Singaporeans. A number of my friends (who lived in the UK) have used this route too and had similar experience.

Most of my friends in KCH know little about MI, I wasn't surprised as MI hardly does any advertising or offers any through fare to SQ destinations via SIN. I guess not even a lot of people know where the Silkair office is in KCH - I only found out when I accidentally left my digital camera on the plane and had to go to their office to get it :lol:

It is quite disappointing that MI website doesn't even allow online booking for flying out of KCH. SQ website only allow you to book a flight into KCH/BKI and not the other way round. There must a reason behind this :angry:

That's great news. Over here in Sabah we benefited tremendously as they always try to offer lower fare than MH to various destinations. It helps when you have oil spilling out from your normal water tap everyday. :p

I have only used MI once to KCH, it was part of the LHR-SIN-KCH vv ticket bought via SQ. The load was rather light on SIN-KCH but OK on the KCH-SIN leg. I didn't recall seeing many Malaysians onboard. Most passengers are made up of Chinese tourist/workers from the mainland (interesting), Westerners and Singaporeans. A number of my friends (who lived in the UK) have used this route too and had similar experience.

Most of my friends in KCH know little about MI, I wasn't surprised as MI hardly does any advertising or offers any through fare to SQ destinations via SIN. I guess not even a lot of people know where the Silkair office is in KCH - I only found out when I accidentally left my digital camera on the plane and had to go to their office to get it :lol:

It is quite disappointing that MI website doesn't even allow online booking for flying out of KCH. SQ website only allow you to book a flight into KCH/BKI and not the other way round. There must a reason behind this :angry:

I am not sure but MI seems to be doing well for they have Increased their frequency into KCH to Daily flights u can check the flight schedule

MI is doing damn good, seriously... :clapping:

some more they serve HOTMEAL! my friend just fly BKI-SIN vv. with MI. but too bad, not yet ask him regarding their service.

I am not sure but MI seems to be doing well for they have Increased their frequency into KCH to Daily flights u can check the flight schedule

yes, its daily flight now! but different timing each day.. wonder why? i dont think kch is so busy to allow fixed timing? or MI shuffling their planes around?

Edited by Dennis S.

Service is just so so only, meal was lousy, but hey... most importantly is that its just an hours flight.... who cares, I love their A319's , and I'll be flying MI again next month.. hehehe.. :good:

HEY>>> I think we've gone OT!!!! <_>

Edited by Ignatius

meal was lousy

I can't agree more :D

This is what I got on KCH-SIN. A little chicken puff (served hot) and a muffin (cold). It makes MAS snack box looks generous...

The funny thing is the food was served in a proper tray with metal cutlery! I wonder who would be bothered to eat the chicken puff or muffin with fork and knife.

051007_Silkair_food.jpg

Sorry, OT again. Lets hope RBA will have a better catering on their KCH-BWN run ;)