MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Denny Yen

Take-off from highway...by F-16s, Mirage 2000, etc

Certain parts of Taiwanese highway are designed for fighter jets to use in the event of a war. These were taken during the Hang Kuang exercise involving all 3 forces last month.

These pictures were taken by various spotters during the exercise to simulate continuous combat sortie missions, i.e., landing, refueling, re-arming and taking off again to continue the battle.

The early morning calm was shattered by the arrival of this F-16 from Hualien AFB.

normal__MG_4643_6811.jpg

The yellow lines show where the road divider is supposed to be...although they're concrete, these are removable. Side-by-side arrival 6811 and 6814 from the same squadron...take note of empty MK bomb pylons.

normal__MG_4812_6811_6814.jpg

F-CK-1B...a locally made fighter jet.

normal__MG_5217_1611_83-8035.jpg

Concrete structure is fuel storage and fuel hose trolley (foreground). The weapons assembly area is in the background where the fighter jets are parked.

normal__MG_4956.jpg

This S-70 Seahawk performs a fast take-off while rolling to save time under combat conditions. This Seahawk takes off after refueling and re-arming, but ahead of the fighters to rescue downed pilots.

normal__MG_4542_7005.jpg

Take-off of 6811....take note of additional MK bombs under wing pylons.

normal__MG_5323_6811.jpg

The roads were re-tarred later that night.

normal_270515-009.jpg

Taking off from somebody's backyard and rice-field.

[/url][/img]

These pics are not doctored...it shows how close the embankment is to the highway/landing strip. Air Force personnel bus and vehicles.

q00023096largeav7.jpg

SNG vans belonging to Taiwanese cable TV.

q00022866largeei6.jpg

Huuhuhuu~~ I like the fire!

For this case, how to classify whether a highway is designed for jet usage? What is the difference between a normal highway and this? The material used to tar is different?

I wonder can such thing happen is Malaysia highway... Hehe...

Taking off from somebody's backyard and rice-field.

Q00023062_large.jpg

For this case, how to classify whether a highway is designed for jet usage? What is the difference between a normal highway and this? The material used to tar is different?

The highways are ordinary ones, except that it has to be absolutely straight and sufficient length to become a temporary airstrip. They use different highways each year.

As per picture, 3 lanes for cars and emergency lanes on each side. The space between yellow lines are where concrete center dividers were removed.

normal__MG_4518_7011.jpg

Wow,

Nice pictures there and very interesting stuff going on.

Thanks Denny for sharing.

Thanks for the cool pics! Wasn't there a similar excercise in S'pore not long ago?

Yes, Singapore also have this type of exercise...somewhere near to JB coast. If I'm correct is at Chua chu kang Rd. Hope I have spelled correctly.

Amazing. I wish I could see those in Malaysia. Or maybe California Interstate 5, which I saw in one short movie where it was cleared to make way for a DC-10 to make an emergency landing.

My little brother here thought it was some kind like Ultraman stuff where highway were turned into runway for the defense team to launch their jets when monster attack. Sorry guys, don't mean to go off topic.

Azuddin

Wow...Do the ROCAF doing this excerise annually?

Anyway,thanks for the awesome photos from Taiwan,Denny.The PR China is definately pissed off about it.It means when Taiwan wants to be a independent state,they mean it very,very seriously and the Taiwanese will defend the island till the last men.

P/S:Is the CCK AFB means Chiang Kai Shek Air Force Base?

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Thanks a lot for sharing these fabulous pictures, Denny :drinks:

Have been to a similar 'exercise' in Poland a few years back, where a highway-part was used by MIG-29 and SU-7 fighters; pretty awesome with these after-burners on :yahoo: