MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Desmond Loo

Decisions decisions

I am in a little bit of a dilemma and was wondering if you will be able to help with.

As a treat, I am taking the wife on a little trip to Singapore. I felt that since I am treating her that we fly business/first class. My dilemma is should I fly SQ or should I fly MH. So wondering if you guys will guide me in making an informed choice.

Many thanks.

MH!

Golden Lounge FTW!!

Is SQ still operating its direct flight to Changi? PEN-SIN?

If they do,

Reason i would say MH is because, you'll get more takeoffs and landings, more guava juice, more savouries, Golden Lounge access in KLIA (stay there long enough to enjoy it), and try get yourself on the widebody KUL-SIN for extra comfort.

Edited by Walter Sim

Both SQ and MH fly PEN-SIN directly, offering Business and Economy class services.

First is only offered out of KUL unfortunately, and even then, besides F lounge access and service ware, it's Business Class seating sold as First Class.

The SKL PEN is not the most spectacular of lounges, but it always had nice hot brekkies including scrambled eggs during my morning flights from PEN. I haven't been into the MH GL but I'm reliably told that it's definitely not like the GL in KLIA. But I wouldn't deliberately fly via KUL for such a short journey, nice as the GL in KUL might be.

The SIN SKL (you will have access to the Business Class side) is pretty worn these days but still nicer and has a wider variety of food and beverages than the tiny MH GL across the corridor even though the latter has recently been refurbished.

MH operates 734s on the PEN-SIN route, while SQ flies 772s. Flights SQ192/191 and SQ198/197 are long haul configured 772ERs and feature the Spacebeds in a 2-2-2 arrangement, while SQ196/195 is a 772 with regional seats and a 2-3-2 arrangement. The Spacebeds are not crucial for such a short flight, but if you've never been on them, regional routes like PEN-SIN are a nice and inexpensive way of checking them out. Row 11 on the Spacebed-config has ample legroom - try to go for 11AC.

I don't know what meal service is like on MH for that sector but you get a full meal service on SQ, including a main course and dessert which you'd have to gobble down within 50 or so mins along with the usual assortment of beverages.

Frequency-wise SQ would provide greater flexibility as there are 3 SQ dailies to PEN vs a sole MH daily

Considering all of the above - my choice would be SQ by a very long shot.

Edited by Keith T

I supposed you will be coming back to PEN, so why not outbound in MH & inbound on SQ. If you want to splurge then do this, which is better than just choosing one carrier both ways.

Outbound, u get to use the GL in PEN which is decent enough with hot food, espresso bar etc, transit in KUL and get a widebody in F to SIN (typically A330-300, sometimes the 332). I think there's a morning departure from PEN which uses the A330. (Avoid the 734s if you can) Make sure you have lots of time during the transit in KUL to enjoy the F-side of the GL, even half a day if need be (there's the slumber room, sauna etc). Execellent choice of food, and there's also the noodle bar, just like what they have in GL domestic at KUL. The F-side tends to be very quiet unlike the busy biz-side. Apart from the SIN routes, there is very little F traffic as MH's 744s only fly to very few destinations these days.

You'll probably be served hot savouries on both sectors on MH, which should be fine if you have already filled up at the lounges

In bound, get the non-stop on SQ 772 and check out the SKL at SIN.

There - decision made for you!

SQ may have better onboard hardware on these short sectors (which gives you hardly enough time to use them anyway), but service wise, MH is better, in my opinion. You can also get to check-out the flagship lounges of both carriers at both ends. (You may not have access to the F-side of SKL in SIN if flying back to PEN, but the lack of windows with a view of the tarmac is one big negative point about the SKL, either biz or f-sides.)

Edited by mushrif a

Outbound, u get to use the GL in PEN which is decent enough with hot food, espresso bar etc, transit in KUL and get a widebody in F to SIN (typically A330-300, sometimes the 332). I think there's a morning departure from PEN which uses the A330. (Avoid the 734s if you can) Make sure you have lots of time during the transit in KUL to enjoy the F-side of the GL, even half a day if need be (there's the slumber room, sauna etc). Execellent choice of food, and there's also the noodle bar, just like what they have in GL domestic at KUL. The F-side tends to be very quiet unlike the busy biz-side. Apart from the SIN routes, there is very little F traffic as MH's 744s only fly to very few destinations these days.

But why deliberately transit via KUL (unless tier points or sector counts are urgently required for whatever reason) on such a short journey when direct services are available on both carriers?

Oh and just a note - it seems like MH, like their KUL-SIN run, only sells F and Y on the PEN-SIN route, unless they designate business class as 'F' and 'A' for the PEN route. This means First Class service (and prices?) in a 734 J cabin.

Hi Keith,

Just wondering out of these flights which ones are configured for spacebeds? :)

SQ103,108,107,112,109,116,113,118

Thanks,

Kenn.

Both SQ and MH fly PEN-SIN directly, offering Business and Economy class services.

First is only offered out of KUL unfortunately, and even then, besides F lounge access and service ware, it's Business Class seating sold as First Class.

The SKL PEN is not the most spectacular of lounges, but it always had nice hot brekkies including scrambled eggs during my morning flights from PEN. I haven't been into the MH GL but I'm reliably told that it's definitely not like the GL in KLIA. But I wouldn't deliberately fly via KUL for such a short journey, nice as the GL in KUL might be.

The SIN SKL (you will have access to the Business Class side) is pretty worn these days but still nicer and has a wider variety of food and beverages than the tiny MH GL across the corridor even though the latter has recently been refurbished.

MH operates 734s on the PEN-SIN route, while SQ flies 772s. Flights SQ192/191 and SQ198/197 are long haul configured 772ERs and feature the Spacebeds in a 2-2-2 arrangement, while SQ196/195 is a 772 with regional seats and a 2-3-2 arrangement. The Spacebeds are not crucial for such a short flight, but if you've never been on them, regional routes like PEN-SIN are a nice and inexpensive way of checking them out. Row 11 on the Spacebed-config has ample legroom - try to go for 11AC.

I don't know what meal service is like on MH for that sector but you get a full meal service on SQ, including a main course and dessert which you'd have to gobble down within 50 or so mins along with the usual assortment of beverages.

Frequency-wise SQ would provide greater flexibility as there are 3 SQ dailies to PEN vs a sole MH daily

Considering all of the above - my choice would be SQ by a very long shot.

I would say, PEN-KUL-SIN-PEN. The first leg, on MH biz class to KLIA, then hv a long break at MH Golden Lounge Satelite Building, continue on journey to Singapore with MH biz on 333. On the way back, fly SQ bizness, long break at SIA lounge at SIN..............a perfect trip for whole family :drinks:

Hi Keith,

Just wondering out of these flights which ones are configured for spacebeds? :)

SQ103,108,107,112,109,116,113,118

Usually SQ118/119. The a/c operating this rotation will normally go on to do a long haul segment (like ATH or FCO) after arriving back in SIN. Tech swap notwithstanding of course...

Couldn't wait till I get home and log into MSN? :p

I would say, PEN-KUL-SIN-PEN. The first leg, on MH biz class to KLIA, then hv a long break at MH Golden Lounge Satelite Building, continue on journey to Singapore with MH biz on 333. On the way back, fly SQ bizness, long break at SIA lounge at SIN..............a perfect trip for whole family :drinks:

Or if on a short trip I suspect the OP and his wife are looking fwd to spending as much time in Singapore (as in the city itself, not Changi Airport) as possible. ;)

Edited by Keith T

Biz seats but no biz service or fare to SIn from KUL. Only Y and F.

In fact, there's no Biz service on MH to BKI or KCH from SIN.

Ironically, the BKI service from SIN is routed through KCH. Hence, if you join in at KCH, you'll pay a biz fare to BKI, but you get F service on board (as there are also pax from SIn continuing to BKI) and F miles to Enrich.

But why deliberately transit via KUL (unless tier points or sector counts are urgently required for whatever reason) on such a short journey when direct services are available on both carriers?

To experience the F-side of the Golden Lounge at KUL to maximise value extracted? To experience flagship lounges of both carriers at both ends?

The journey can also be "part of the destination."

Otherwise, just pay el-cheapo Y in MH or SQ (SQ has some online offers from PEN), grab a big Mc before the flight - afterall - it's just a short hop.

Otherwise, just pay el-cheapo Y in MH or SQ (SQ has some online offers from PEN), grab a big Mc before the flight - afterall - it's just a short hop.

Or maximise the experience on the most optimum route with regard to time spent on the journey.

Different story of course if the OP's wife is equally as keen about flying and visiting different airports. MH/SQ fares can be endorsed on to the other carrier as in all likelihood they'd be booked into the full bucket since you're an O/D pax, and the routing doesn't matter so long as it doesn't exceed 448 miles each way.

MPM FARE - ROUTE NOT APPLICABLE

MAXIMUM PERMITTED MILEAGE IS 448

Meaning if you get the MH F fare out of PEN and don't mind the KUL shuffle, do:

PEN-KUL MH C

xKUL-SIN MH F [with access to MH F lounge at KUL]

SIN-KUL SQ F [with access to SQ F check in lounge, porter service and SIN SKL F - free Dom Perignon and satay]

xKUL-PEN MH C

That should be pretty much it to "maximise value extracted." Of course it all depends on how much time you have, and I'd certainly put that down as a cost factor. :)

Edited by Keith T

Hi guys,

It is a one way trip from PEN to SIN as I am have already planned my onward trip from SIN to KUL on JL followed by my trip back to the UK with EY.

I agree with Keith T's initial remark as to travel direct as the wife is not keen on spotting. Although I am keen to sample the delights of the much spoken MH lounges in KUL.

I am not too bothered with the cost as it is to be a treat and a surprise for the wife to travel in 'luxury' and it is a rather short sector. I am fully aware that if my choice was MH it will be Capt Radzi's flying machine and if was SQ it would be FO LeeCH.

Hi guys,

It is a one way trip from PEN to SIN as I am have already planned my onward trip from SIN to KUL on JL followed by my trip back to the UK with EY.

I agree with Keith T's initial remark as to travel direct as the wife is not keen on spotting. Although I am keen to sample the delights of the much spoken MH lounges in KUL.

I am not too bothered with the cost as it is to be a treat and a surprise for the wife to travel in 'luxury' and it is a rather short sector. I am fully aware that if my choice was MH it will be Capt Radzi's flying machine and if was SQ it would be FO LeeCH.

Comparing both the SKL and GL in PEN is much of a muchness really.

So I'd go for the better equipment - SQ 772ER with Spacebeds. Remember the specific rotations which will have these seats. (ie either the first flight in the morning or last flight in the evening). Again if it doesn't fit ur schedule then I suppose the Spacebeds are not absolutely crucial for such a short flight - but they make a nice treat. :)

Edited by Keith T

..... to travel direct as the wife is not keen on spotting .....

Ah, there you have specified the limiting factor :)

Ah, there you have specified the limiting factor :)

I posted with that in mind since I'm a non spotter myself. :p

Edited by Keith T

My apologies Keith, perhaps I have quoted a wee bit too much of Desmond's reply to have misled you

..... the wife .....

There, the limiting factor :p

My apologies Keith, perhaps I have quoted a wee bit too much of Desmond's reply to have misled you

There, the limiting factor :p

LOL! Too true. :D

Must let me know when is your date of flight. And flight no of course!!

No problems LeeCH. I will let you know once I have booked the flight.

Comparing both the SKL and GL in PEN is much of a muchness really.

So I'd go for the better equipment - SQ 772ER with Spacebeds. Remember the specific rotations which will have these seats. (ie either the first flight in the morning or last flight in the evening). Again if it doesn't fit ur schedule then I suppose the Spacebeds are not absolutely crucial for such a short flight - but they make a nice treat. :)

Thanks for the advice Keith T. I think that SQ might be the choice. I will keep your suggestion in mind about the morning and late evening flight. Many thanks again.

I realised that MH codeshares with SQ on the PEN-SIN route, which means you can get it ticketed as an MH9*** in F class, even though SQ sells the same seat as business class. I checked and the price is about the same. If you prefer to get points on Enrich, then see if you can get it ticketed on MH9*** and get F mileage, whilst enjoying SQ hardware.

....not that you will get millions of miles on the PEN-SIN hop, but just a thought.

Edited by mushrif a

I realised that MH codeshares with SQ on the PEN-SIN route, which means you can get it ticketed as an MH9*** in F class, even though SQ sells the same seat as business class. I checked and the price is about the same. If you prefer to get points on Enrich, then see if you can get it ticketed on MH9*** and get F mileage, whilst enjoying SQ hardware.

Hi Mushrif A,

I checked on the MAS website today. Yes you can book MH codeshare flights to SIN from PEN using the SQ equiptment but this seem to only be limited to Y class. So yes it is a good idea but not in this case for me as the wife is going to have a treat.

Just a quick update for the treat with the wife,

I have booked on Singapore Airlines for my PEN-SIN trip so hoping to see LeeCH as FO onboard the 772 and have decided on SQ 191 as per Keith T's suggestion on the 10th of August 2007 for hopefully a wonderful experience.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions and hints.

I have booked on Singapore Airlines for my PEN-SIN trip so hoping to see LeeCH as FO onboard the 772 and have decided on SQ 191 as per Keith T's suggestion on the 10th of August 2007 for hopefully a wonderful experience.

Please don't blame if there's a tech swap for a regional 772! :o

Did you manage to preallocate row 11? According to the seatmap 11HK is already occupied. 11C and 11F are blocked for the bassinet or PPS pax it seems.

Or are you the pax sitting in 12HK? ;)

Enjoy ur trip! :)

Edited by Keith T

Please don't blame if there's a tech swap for a regional 772! :o

Did you manage to preallocate row 11? According to the seatmap 11HK is already occupied. 11C and 11F are blocked for the bassinet or PPS pax it seems.

Or are you the pax sitting in 12HK? ;)

Enjoy ur trip! :)

Don't worry Keith T there is NO such thing as blame if the equipment is swapped so relax.

I have prebooked 11HK and 12HK.

Avoided row 11's bassinet seats as did not want to risk being reallocated when it came to the crunch. Thanks again.

Out of curiosity how do you find out which seats have been requested/allocated?

Out of curiosity how do you find out which seats have been requested/allocated?

I subscribe to expertflyer.com

Shows seat maps, including occupied and blocked seats. The most important features for me are fare rules, availability etc. It also shows award buckets for certain airlines.

But it's not always accurate - issues like POS [point of sale restrictions - like on the same flight, say BA SIN-LHR a seat in D is available for tickets purchased exLON or exSIN but not exMRU or exCMB, your POS being the location of the terminal which booked ur ticket, because they might try to reserve the fare for higher yielding pax] get involved and since the whole thing is based on Sabre it's only really 100% accurate for airlines like AA. I'd say it works 80% of the time. If all else fails - I have several friends who are TAs or work for airlines.

Another tool is KVS which is written by a member of Flyertalk but I kinda prefer EF.

So you bought 4 seats - I thought it was just you and ur wife? :huh:

Edited by Keith T

Brilliant. I personally would also go for SQ. My reasons are :

1. We are Malaysians and we have been flying MAS almost our whole life. Since there is a chance to try another carrier, i would jump right into it.

2. It's the 777. You don't get to fly on 777 everytime you fly.

By the way, a few 2-class regional SQ 772 are installed with the Ultimo Business Class seat (the kind of Raffles seat SQ used in their 744 before being replaced by Spacebed) and it is in 2x2x2 layout instead of the usual 2x3x2 in the rest of their regional 772. The number of seats remain unchanged (still 30).

Sign in to follow this