MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

RNZAF Airshow alert

All MWingers at Auckland and all visiting members to Auckland, please note the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Royal New Zealand Air Force are holding an Open Day at Whenuapai Air Force Base on the 3rd March (wet weather alternative 4 March).

See our exciting flying and static displays of historic and current Military aircrafts. Watch our deployment themes and learn about our Trades.

Flying displays will include the Warbirds (historical aircrafts) and Military aircrafts of the following - Kiwi Blue, Iroquois, C130, P3K, Seasprite, Red Checkers, B757 and RAAF F111s.

Doors Open from 9am - 4pm.

Entry $5 foot traffic, Child under 12 Free, $20 per car/van

Don't miss this grand occasion, watch this space for further updates

Source: http://www.airforce.mil.nz/

I will be visiting the airshow next weekend and I will be posting some photos on MWings ;)

Edited by S V Choong

Unfortunately I cant pay a visit to the show but Im sure there will be MWs' coverage from NZ.. hehe :D

Morning by the way ..gotta sleep fist :)

Edited by Min Chun

S V,

Thanks for the tip, but as you know, we're 'counter-footers' :lol:

It would have been nice to see the 757's again, being ex Transavia aircraft :(

Enjoy the show and post some coverage here, please !

What...no Kiwi fighters? I always thought RNZAF operates at least a small squadron of F/A-18 or F-16.

However, after further checking indeed it seems that RNZAF don't operate fighters anymore (the last A-4s and MB339s have been phased out). The P3s, NH90s and Seasprites suggest a military strategy in coastal patrolling and safeguarding rather than offensive. Does NZ rely on RAAF to provide air defense probably under a joint-defense treaty?

Remember to take close-up pictures of the sensors and avionics of those a/c.

Yes correct Denny, not long after the Labour government took the seat in the late 1990s and early 2000, they have decided that New Zealand does not need the air force. I don't think they can afford the bills of purchasing and maintaining the new birds either. So they are now depending on their next door neighbour, the RAAF for air defence should any air strikes occur. What are the chances of that and who would want to come around here to the bottom of the world? ;) Therefore, scraping the Air Force fighters will help saving lots of dollars.

Will try to accomodate the needs. What sort of sensors do you mean? You mean the sensors which are found on military crafts rather than civilian ones?

Some photos from the RNZAF Air Show at Whenuapai Airport (West Auckland) on 3 March 2007. More to come soon.

S_DSC01315-1.jpg

Whenuapai Airport was Auckland's first international airport. It was built in the 1930s. It used to serve domestic flights international flights mainly from Australia, the United Kingdom and the USA. Three runways were constructed. The airport was taken over by the Royal New Zealand Air Force in the mid-1960s when Auckland's current International Airport at Mangere at the South opened in 1965. The old terminal buildings remained and have since been modified to become RNZAF's office. Two giant barrell hangers are also found on site for maintanence of the RNZAF aircraft.

S_DSC01312-1.jpg

Parked in front of one of the two barrell hangars is the RNZAF Orion P-3 reconaissance aircraft.

S_DSC01320-1.jpg

This CASA (not sure what model it is) belongs to the French Air Force must have flown from Tahiti. Inside the aircraft, everything was written in French. I have learned a new French word on that day "Sortie" in French means "Exit" :p

S_DSC01325.jpg

One of RNZAF's C-130 Hercules on static display. A lot of people queued up to look at the inside of the plane and then went up to the cockpit as well.

S_DSC01414-1.jpg

One of the two Boeing 757-200 belongs to the RNZAF. This particular bird's rego is NZ7571 on static display, while NZ7572 performed the stunt. This is also the Prime Minister's ride when she goes overseas. The queue was so long that everyone was keen to see how the government used the tax payer's money. I bet we Malaysian won't ever see the RMAF allow you to see the VIP rides as well as how they spent our tax money!

More to come in the weekend :

- Details of Hercules C-130, Boeing 757-200 and Orion P3

- Formation flights of WWII birds and others

- Special visitor from across the Tasman Sea, the Royal Australian Air Force's F-111A bomber.

Hope you enjoy this. Pieter please feel free to move this to General Photography or Obs deck as appropriate. ;)

Edited by S V Choong

Hope you enjoy this. Pieter please feel free to move this to General Photography or Obs deck as appropriate. ;)

S V,

Will keep it here...Have really enjoyed the pictures, especially the Armee de l'Air one :good:

Looking forward to some more (at least you had excellent weather conditions: thanks a lot for sharing ;)

Excellent Coverage SV..bugger missed it

would have been great for sure.

Shots are excellent.Looking fwd for more.Cockpit plus the inside of the aircraft. :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo:

S_DSC01414-1.jpg

Nice picture of the RNZAF 757, S V Choong :) :good: :drinks:

Edited by Andrew Ong

Just unbelievable those beautiful 757s! Flew both NZ7571 & NZ7572 as their former regi's PH-TKA & PH-TKB as they first operated for 10 years in Holland for Transavia Airlines. Still a shame they left us, nice pics though!

SV,

formation shots>?

I know u got loads more..

I do, but it takes a while to upload them. I will upload them slowly, just bear with me, my friend ;)

Yeah I love the 757s too. Apparently they are going to modify the two birds. I didn't get to read the poster they put it as it was full of people. The Hercules C-130 will also undergo life extension and modification program.

Here you go.... formation flights.....

S_DSC01428.jpg

S_DSC01429.jpg

S_DSC01433.jpg

S_DSC01434.jpg

Hercules C-130, Orion P3 and Boeing 757-200 in formation ;)

Edited by S V Choong

S_DSC01433.jpg

This picture looks nice :)

Wonderful pictures, SV :good: :drinks:

Edited by Andrew Ong

Must be a fun day, SV. Thanks for the picture. I guess with so many people around there is little chance for a clean shot.

Sign in to follow this