MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Talks In March To Liberalise Air Routes Between Malaysia And Singapore

This is getting interesting! :good:

February 09, 2007 00:16 AM

Talks In March To Liberalise Air Routes Between Malaysia And Singapore

By D. Arul Rajoo

BANGKOK, Feb 8 (Bernama) -- Senior Transport Ministry officials from Malaysia and Singapore will meet in March to hold talks on the opening up of not only the lucrative Kuala Lumpur-Singapore air route, but that of other destinations and also to break up the existing domination of both countries' national flag carriers.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said the talks would not only be to liberalise the air routes but also towards having more flights and airlines serving them.

"Why should we limit to Kuala Lumpur-Singapore alone. Singapore is already flying to a few destinations now and in the past had operated to Kuantan and Tioman," he told reporters after meeting his Singapore counterpart Raymond Lim on the sidelines of the Asean Transport Ministers meeting here Thursday.

Chan said that both countries had agreed to further liberalise their air sectors as it would be beneficial to them, adding that more airlines, including low cost carriers and full service airlines could capitalise on the opportunities that would arise.

read more at: http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=245956

Let me guess, not only Low Cost and National Carriers will happy with this(dunno about national carrier thou), but other foreign carriers that fly/paln to SIN or KUL will propose a stop at one of this city before final destinations. So we might see more routes like xxx-sin-kul, xxx-kul-sin etc.

2 cent

I hope the airline itself (SIA) will revive their service to other major cities other than KUL and PEN. Although Silkair already plying those routes.

The yield on KUL/SIN sector is among the highest in the world.

After including this yield, SQ price ex-KUL to other destinations became expensive, hence, haven’t taken SQ in the past 2 years :(

However, the liberalization of this sector will impact MH bottom line substantially and immediately. Not sure, how willing the government is to walk the talk.

As for other destinations in Malaysia except PEN, it is more likely to be code share or serve by Silk Air than SQ.

:drinks:

Before we start dreaming about SQ serving multiple cities in Malaysia (beside KUL/PEN), let's first see the SQ's past records. Macau was first served by SQ, then MI, then finally Tiger. Surabaya has always been served by mainline SQ but was downgraded to MI, citing low yields (much to the fury of the locals then). DRW went from SQ to Tiger after several years of absence.

Similarly for Malaysia, I doubt that the current arrangement will change much even after the liberalization. SQ will continue to serve only KUL & PEN while MI to BKI, KCH & LGK. Potential secondary destinations include TGG, KUA, SBW, TWU & SDK but I wouldn't count on MI serving these points either, as these seem to be more of Tiger Airways market. Perhaps an exception would be MYY, which may be able to support a MI service due to its oil & gas market.

SQ Group has mainline SQ, MI and Tiger for a reason, something that MAS could learn a thing or two from if they wish to survive in this volatile industry.

Well thought out reasoning Keno !

I guess realities of the airline industry eventually dictate what sort of carrier flies where to, international politics allowing.

I'm sure many of us here in the 'secondary' cities would like to see many more foreign carriers at our local airports, but what for when traffic / yields are unlikely to sustain the services ? For eg, though I was ecstatic when AO started SYD-BKI-SIN vv, it felt more dissapointing when they stopped flying here instead.

Having said that, there must be those in the industry who take the "never try, never know" approach too !

SQ should include TGG into their logbook if they want to steal one of Malaysian oil route <_>

Looking at Malaysian map, 4 cities in Peninsula Malaysia will do just fine..........KUL, PEN, LGK and East Coast. No point flying to KUA, IPH, AOR, or KBR since they are few hours away from SQ's MY destinations. Yeah I guess the liberilise thingy won't change much.............

Sign in to follow this