MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

TG and the new BKK airport - about as smooth as sandpaper!

Hm, 1 hr 15 mins connection TG-LH, bus gate - no wonder my bag didn;t make it. Even though advertised MCT is much shorter. :rolleyes:

You might have more luck if you don't hit a bus gate.

My mate had a TG-TG transfer just last week and they still managed to leave his bags behind. He had all his work stuff in there - he was not happy. Try to get it up to over a 2 hour connection if you can. Then you'd have a more leisurely transfer and even check out the new (albeit overcrowded) TG lounges.

Don't care about my work stuff... this is my golf bag we are talking about. I cannot lose it. Period!

Don't care about my work stuff... this is my golf bag we are talking about. I cannot lose it. Period!

Then change to a later flight! :p

Or to be really safe - overnight in BKK.

Edited by Keith T

The air-conditioning system at BKK is under designed. It will cost AoT millions of dollars and months to upgrade.

Unlike KUL, BKK used cheap building materials and finishing. Hence, architecturally KUL is nicer. But BKK is more functional and convenient for a hub.

I bet my 2 cents, BKK will need to extend before KUL.

:drinks:

KK Lee,

Expansion at BKK will be necessary if and only if the LCCs stay on at Suvarnabhumi IMHO. If they decide to reopen Don Muang, then regionally, BKK's new Suvarnabhumi will take a beating because let's face it, ppl ain't too impressed with it. Lower air fares to an airport in closer proximity to downtown Bangkok will be more attractive. This could however work wonders for the Thai's! Unfortunately, in the article I quoted above, only non-connecting LCCs will be able to use Don Muang under the revised proposal. So I wonder where this puts airlines like Nok Air...

It will be interesting to see what pans out in Bangkok.

Expansion at BKK will be necessary if and only if the LCCs stay on at Suvarnabhumi IMHO. If they decide to reopen Don Muang, then regionally, BKK's new Suvarnabhumi will take a beating because let's face it, ppl ain't too impressed with it. Lower air fares to an airport in closer proximity to downtown Bangkok will be more attractive.

If i'm not mistaken, the distance of both the new & old airports to the city centre is pretty much the same. Only notable difference is that one is in the south & another one in the north in Bangkok.

By the way, did you guys know that the Thais used millions to upgrade the old Don Muang International terminal in late 2002 ? MAS was one of the very few lucky carriers that always assigned to the new gate. Funny that it's mostly the international airlines that used the new aerobridge while TG mostly parked in the remote parking area and its passengers had to get on a Thai Airways bus to the terminal building.

Edited by Isaac

bit suprised by this actually...

New airport faces partial shutdown

by AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

Mistakes, graft found in almost all contracts

Poor construction at Suvarnabhumi may force parts of the new airport to be shut down for repairs. This would open the way for the recently abandoned Don Muang airport to be re-opened to serve Bangkok's air traffic needs.

Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um said yesterday that following a recent report on the problems facing Suvarnabhumi airport, it was likely that part of the new facility would have to be closed and Don Muang airport would pick up the slack.

Some people had suggested the airport, open less than three months, be completely closed for a revamp, with flights being redirected to Don Muang until the improvements are completed, Mr Sansern said. He was opposed to that. Trying to move everything back to Don Muang would cause chaos.

The Council for Democratic Reform _ now the Council for National Security _ asked about the readiness of Suvarnabhumi airport just after the Sept 19 coup, but executives of the Airports of Thailand (AoT) had insisted the airport was ready for the scheduled Sept 28 opening.

Opening the airport before it was completed had inevitably led to problems. If the opening had been delayed to allow work to be finished properly, the airport would have started on a more solid footing.

The new AoT board appointed after the coup has discovered physical and managerial problems at Suvarnabhumi airport. Board member Yodyiam Theptranont, who heads a sub-panel investigating the problems, said the repairs would take a long time. He could not give a timeframe. Mr Yodyiam's report to the AoT board outlined a lengthy list of complaints and deficiencies, along with a list of recommendations on fixing the problems.

The report attributed the faults to substandard construction, poor management and manipulation of designs and materials. The report said the airport's information technology facilities were incomplete and the upper floors of the car park building have no drains, causing rain water to flow into elevator shafts. Over 1,000 lamps had already burned out and not been replaced.

Mr Yodyiam said AoT lacked an official with direct responsibility for the airport's construction, which had posed an obstacle in getting swift repairs. Another AoT board member, Tortrakul Yomnak, said many areas need repairs and a partial closure was likely. Chaisak Angsuwan, director-general of the Civil Aviation Department, said that due to the persistent problems, the department could not issue a permanent licence for Suvarnabhumi airport. It would, however, extend an interim aerodrome certificate for the airport for another six months in January, he said. Mr Chaisak said the airport needed to meet all physical and operational requirements before it could be given a permanent certificate.

There were many cracks in the airport's taxiways, some serious and some not, and repairs would be time-consuming, he said. Many operations staff also have no expertise in using their equipment.

Adm Bannawit Kengrian, chairman of the National Legislative Assembly's committee on Suvarnabhumi airport, said his panel had discovered mistakes and irregularities in almost all the airport's contracts. Names of those believed responsible would be announced in two weeks. Specifications in some contracts had been distorted, he said. Salaries paid executives of the Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel were unusually high. Despite its claimed five-star status, the hotel had plywood doors.

An inexperienced contractor operated transformers that supply power to visiting aircraft and six transformers had burnt out. The cost of digging ditches around the airport was inflated to three billion baht and hiring security guards to five billion baht.

Any contracts where corruption was found would be scrapped, he said

BY: Bangkok Post Newspaper

AOT officials have for years been looking at everything through rose-tinted glasses and having seen how Don Muang was operated over four years, I noticed that many officials have little knowledge in the area of expertise (implied by their often-inflated titles). There are many who could have told the coup-leaders with great certainty that Suvarnabhumi Airport was never going to be ready for opening in September 2006. Many were able to accurately predict what the problems would be . . . surely the opinions of IATA must count as being professional. AOT's top leadership had blasted IATA as being less than objective in doubting Suvarnabhumi's readiness and even branded an IATA executive as being jealous - because the latter had previously worked for CAAS!!!

Coming back to the present status of Suvarnahhumi Airport. Travelling from the city to the airport is actually more pleasant than travelling to Don Muang (this is the one area that I am surprised - because I had previously held the opinion that this would be hellish). Re-opening Don Muang will hugely inflate the cost of operation for AOT and related government agencies. Operational / security / CIQ (customs, immigration and health) / retail / F&B / car park / technical etc etc etc human resource will now need to be duplicated at Don Muang. There is no question of splitting their deployment between Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airport since the relocation of LCCs is supposedly to allow for growth at Suvarnabhumi.

It is surprising that it takes this loooooooooong for the authorities to realise that there were irregularities in ALL contracts awarded in conjunction with Suvarnabhumi Airport. Once again, many could have given them this feedback for zero Baht (and I am certain many did but the graft situation was so overwhelming that multiple layers of those receiving such feedback are probably similarly involved).

To get a feel for how bad the graft situation is . . . in the final week of each month, take a drive around BKK. Along many stretches of highways, you will see brown-uniformed policemen working in "packs" targetting drivers of mostly lower-end vehicles for all manners of traffic violations. Luxury car drivers are mostly spared - probably because the policemen are fearful of whatever connections the rich and powerful might have. So the drivers targetted will be approached and know automatically that they have to pay a fine - often without being even told the nature of their "offence". And pay they did . . . just to save themselves the hassle of having their license confiscated and making a trip to a police station to pay the fine (anyway) for some hastily-invented offence. This happens in broad daylight and is there for all to see . . . well-to-do Thais who are ironically spared this treatment look the other way since they were spared. The targetted poor souls accept it grudgingly and are resigned to their fate. I was in a taxi once when a policeman flag the driver to pull to one side. As he did so, the driver told me that "they want money again - this is my second one today". I was infuriated and as soon as the window was wound down, I demanded loudly in English "What the hell is the problem now?". The policeman gave one good look to confirm that it is a foreigner and said something rather crudely to the driver (the word "mai chai Khun Thai" - meaning "not Thai national" was used alongside a more colourful Thai word equivalent to the famous 4-letter English version) . . . before waving us to get lost. The driver drove off and turned around to thank me. According to the driver, this is a routine occurrence every single month, and in my four years living in Bangkok, I have witnessed this a zillion times. I branded these policemen "packs of brown dogs" for their collective predatory behaviour. To me, this is a blemish on an otherwise beautiful kingdom. It is an insult to all that Thailand stands for and mostly, an insult to the ultimate and most revered authority in the Kingdom.

So hopefully the new government is able to scrutinise the contracts associated with Suvarnabhumi Airport and revoke all that is found corrupted. And most importantly, institute a new transparency in the business of goverrnment to "once and for all" nip this problem (I would like to add "in the bud" but in all this time, the bud has blossomed into a flower, ripened as a fruit, harvested and consumed and the seeds have probably been scattered and re-germinated into plants all over). Some will tell me to dream on . . . others might tell me that the graft situation is not that bad . . . whatever. See it for yourself on your next trip(s).

From my personal experiences flying with LCCs in Thailand (I have flown Nok Air, One-Two-GO, and Thai AirAsia), there are tonnes of people coming from the secondary cities and connecting to international flights. Relatively fewer fly into the country and immediately connect to a secondary destination. For those flying into Don Muang and connecting to an international flight out of Suvarnabhumi, I wish them lots of luck, patience and the strength to hold on to their positive holiday memories and not let the experience ahead of them spoil their holidays.

Outwardly, Suvarnabhumi Airport is beautiful . . . great curvy architecture looking like a grid made of swiss rolls . . . but that beauty seems (for now at least) to be skin deep. It need not be so, and I wish the Ministry of Transport and AOT well in their quest to reverse the situation. And if they are proud and strong enough, they should reflect on the comments by the former AOT leadership and apologise to IATA.

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

I can't wait to see the airport myself when i go to BKK in December next year. That's also if it still remain open. lol

It will definitely remained open as long as there are no serious safety issues on this new airport.

The question mark will be on turning the old DM into LCC airport for Bangkok.

It will definitely remained open as long as there are no serious safety issues on this new airport.

The question mark will be on turning the old DM into LCC airport for Bangkok.

So will DM be a major corridor for Thai AirAsia and other LCCs in the future instead of Suvarnabhumi? :help:

Read through all the posts in Page 3 and you'll get the answer you want.

Edited by Seng Lim

I just got into BKK. LH flight experienced a slight delay due to the need to de-ice at FRA. But all good as I've lots of time to kill anyway. [OT: Oh and the FCT ROCKED!! :D :D]

LH was able to issue my onward BP to MEL so all good - no need to go on a scavenger hunt for the correct transfer desk.

Currently in the TG Royal Silk Lounge at Concourse E, simply because it's nearest to where I disembarked. Was told I'm eligible for the First Class lounge even though my flight departing BKK is in C (contrary to what the rules say); however it's at the other end of the terminal (concourse C) and I'm too lazy now to make that epic journey. Too early to tell where my next flight (TG981 to MEL) is departing from so I'd chill out till later in the evening. This lounge is rather tranquil, as opposed to reports I've read, but then again it's not peak time yet.

Airconditioning at the transfer level has improved somewhat. It felt less humid as I walked into the terminal, after being engulfed by a wall of SE Asian heat at the aerobridge. However the departure level still felt rather warm, as KC Sim described it - a 'glass cave.' Luckily there's good airconditioning in the lounge.

Wifi connection is free and plentiful. Snacks and beverages adequate for now but hopefully they'll survive the crowds later on in the evening.

There's also a TG Royal Orchid Lounge opposite - I think it's also a C lounge, but it says 'no service.' :huh: There's yet another un-named and un-signed tiny TG lounge around the corner but there wasn't air conditioning (the poor dude at reception was sweating furiously), nor was there much to speak of as far as amenities are concerned, and I bid a hasty retreat after a quick glance.

That's it from me for now - I'll chill out for a bit and continue with as much of my trippie as possible.

Signing off from Suvarna-poo,

Keith

Edited by Keith T

Good to hear from you again, bro: looking forward to your LH flights LHR-FRA-BKK (but first your AA, UA, US adventures in the other topic) :)

Back in MEL now.

Glad to report that my experience with TG ended on a more positive note. Got a spanking new 772ER, seat 11A was great, and low loads meant very attentive service. Crews were the complete opposite of the outbound, and I felt like I was on a totally different airline. 772ER features even newer seats, and I actually slept better on those seats than on the spacebed or the QF skybeds.

So yes...a very 'hit or miss' airline. Won't be in a great hurry to check them out again unless there are very good deals floating around, or I can be assurred of better consistency.

Oh and the TG lounges over at concourse E are much better than the ones at C or D. I spent the latter bit of the evening at the royal silk lounge in C (and no they decided to stick by the rules and denied me entry into the F lounge ), and it was hard to find a seat. Also, stay near the entrance if you're using the lounge at C as the further in you go - the less airconditioning there is. :S

Back in MEL now.

Glad to report that my experience with TG ended on a more positive note. Got a spanking new 772ER, seat 11A was great, and low loads meant very attentive service. Crews were the complete opposite of the outbound, and I felt like I was on a totally different airline. 772ER features even newer seats, and I actually slept better on those seats than on the spacebed or the QF skybeds.

So yes...a very 'hit or miss' airline. Won't be in a great hurry to check them out again unless there are very good deals floating around, or I can be assurred of better consistency.

Oh and the TG lounges over at concourse E are much better than the ones at C or D. I spent the latter bit of the evening at the royal silk lounge in C (and no they decided to stick by the rules and denied me entry into the F lounge ), and it was hard to find a seat. Also, stay near the entrance if you're using the lounge at C as the further in you go - the less airconditioning there is. :S

Good to hear that the trip went very well Keith :) :good: :drinks:

Finally, some positive financial news of TG:

Thai Airways Sees 2007 Profit Rise

January 14, 2007

Thai Airways said it expected an 11 percent rise in 2006/2007 net profit to reach THB10 billion baht (USD$278.6 million) as lower fuel prices help to cut operating costs.

"This year's net profit should be higher than 2006 largely because falling fuel prices have helped reduce our cost," President Apinan Sumanaseni said, referring to the firm's earnings for the 2006/2007 fiscal year ending September 30, 2007.

Net profit for 2006 was THB8.99 billion (USD$250.3 million), up 32.6 percent.

It aimed for a 12 percent rise in 2006/2007 revenues to THB200 billion (USD$5.57 billion) and expected a cabin factor of 79 percent in the first quarter, up from 76-77 percent the previous year, Apinan said.

Due to lower fuel prices, the airline expected to cut its current fuel surcharge on some routes within this month, he said.

Fuel costs account for more than 30 percent of the airline's expenses.

The company's board, 54 percent-owned by the Thai Finance Ministry, would meet later on January 25 to consider whether to order more planes as part of compensation for delayed delivery of six Airbus A380 superjumbo aircraft, Apinan said.

He said the board would also revise its long-term financial plan. If more planes were needed, the firm would prepare a plan to seek funding through loans and equity or bond issuance.

(Reuters)

I am sitting right now in a lounge in BKK. I have no clue which lounge this is, but the guy at the reception said it is the biggest one for Thai. This airport is very confusing. Got off the LX at gate D2, then there is this very long councourse and there is no flight info board so I do not know to which concourse I am supposed to be headed to. But alas, I know what Thai planes look like, old scheme and new scheme, so I looked outside. Thank god for the glass walls, most of the Thai planes were on the right so I should turn right. The first flight info board only appears after about 200 meters... and yes I was right, my next flight will depart from gate C8.

There is something odd about the design of this airport that makes it look a bit worn out. The design is nice, but upon closer inspection, that's how it looks. There is a wonderful view of the garden outside though, from this lounge.

It's a hazy and cloudy day today so it is not warm at all in the airport. So time to explore while I find my departure gate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my golf bag will make it to the next flight....

I am sitting right now in a lounge in BKK. I have no clue which lounge this is, but the guy at the reception said it is the biggest one for Thai. This airport is very confusing. Got off the LX at gate D2, then there is this very long councourse and there is no flight info board so I do not know to which concourse I am supposed to be headed to. But alas, I know what Thai planes look like, old scheme and new scheme, so I looked outside. Thank god for the glass walls, most of the Thai planes were on the right so I should turn right. The first flight info board only appears after about 200 meters... and yes I was right, my next flight will depart from gate C8.

There is something odd about the design of this airport that makes it look a bit worn out. The design is nice, but upon closer inspection, that's how it looks. There is a wonderful view of the garden outside though, from this lounge.

It's a hazy and cloudy day today so it is not warm at all in the airport. So time to explore while I find my departure gate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my golf bag will make it to the next flight....

My LH flight disembarked at E. Tried to find the general area where TG would depart but there were no TG planes to be seen where I was. The journey from E to D/C was looooooooooooooong, and you face zillions of duty free outlets along the way (along with massive crowds). OTOH I liked the lounge at E cause it was so tranquil (since it was mainly a oneworld area I guess).

I think you're at the lounge near concourse C. I didn't come across it and settled for the one at D even though my flight departed from C.

Good luck on your bag making it. Enjoy your trip! :)

Edited by Keith T

..... There is something odd about the design of this airport that makes it look a bit worn out. The design is nice, but upon closer inspection, that's how it looks .....

There, I think you have just about nailed it right ! I just couldn't place it in words before this.

I reckon the bare concrete finish you find all over the place contribute very largely to this impression.

BTW, golf kit in safe hands yet ?! :rolleyes:

Edited by BC Tam

yes!! Golf set safe with me in KL! In fact it was delivered to the baggage claim (taken by KLIA staff from the oversized baggage area) even before any other bags arrived!

Keith, I when I left the lounge, I walked past the lounges in C. So I must have been in D. It is a rather long and narrow lounge, and the first class lounge is next to it before the C concourse.

And what a wonderful flight I had with Thai. It was easy to benchmark them this time as I just got off LX. Only surprise is that the 772 does not have PTV in Y. The C seats were definitely the new ones though. Strange...

yes!! Golf set safe with me in KL! In fact it was delivered to the baggage claim (taken by KLIA staff from the oversized baggage area) even before any other bags arrived!

Keith, I when I left the lounge, I walked past the lounges in C. So I must have been in D. It is a rather long and narrow lounge, and the first class lounge is next to it before the C concourse.

And what a wonderful flight I had with Thai. It was easy to benchmark them this time as I just got off LX. Only surprise is that the 772 does not have PTV in Y. The C seats were definitely the new ones though. Strange...

Congrats on the golf set making it! :drinks:

Yeah the D lounge isn't much fun. I must have been there during peak hour as it was quite some time b4 I found a seat. I don't remember seeing any gardens though but then it was dark and I wasn't sitting near the windows.

The TG 772s do not have PTVs in Y even though they've been refurbished in C. Same deal for the 744s with 7443 config. Only 772ERs, 345s and 346s have PTVs in Y.

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this